GO!

chronic bladder cystitis

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Einstein

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:36pm PST 
2 years ago, einstein had his first flare up of cystitis. he was peeing blood and went to the bathroom often. well, we got that under control with an anti-iflammatory and pain medication along with a diet change to watered down canned food. a couple weeks ago, i noticed him peeing on stuff in my house other than the litter box and beating up on my other cat. after a urinalysis at the vet, we discovered he was having another flare up. we tried pain meds and a couple rounds of laser therapy, but he's still having issues. i ran out of pain meds for like a day and caught him peeing on my dog's bed and he attacked lexi again. my question is: what else can i do? he's already getting lots of water in his diet. i will get my hands on a calming collar this week and i have begun supplementing his diet with a capsule of glucosimine every day.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:50pm PST 
What other testing has the vet done? Have they done an ultrasound or any form of blood work?
[notify]

Einstein

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 3:37pm PST 
we did an ultrasound on both the bladder and the kidneys mostly because there was a chance that he had a stone. his urine ph was about 6.5. no stones at all. everything looked great except his bladder wall was a bit thicker than it should have been because it's inflammed. we haven't done bloodwork though. what would you look for with the bloodwork?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 5:31pm PST 
This may have some helpful info about cystitis:
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:22pm PST 
Bloodwork would show if there was anything else that might be going on, like kidney function and things like that. I know there is a great group on yahoo, the FLUTD group that has tons of information on bladder issues, I was a member when Macy was going through his episode. I stopped going to it once his issue was resolved with surgery, they found and area of inflammation that they had to remove via ultrasound.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:26pm PST 
Dumb fleas ate the link naughty

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth
[notify]

Polly

polydactyl and- proud

Purred: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:13am PST 
True cystitis is chronic, and is usually treated with feline cosaquin to alleviate the inflammation, but they usually have to take it forever, as it is a health condition. Also, he will need to stay on the bladder diet as well.
[notify]

Einstein

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '12 7:40am PST 
he had his teeth cleaned in march and they did bloodwork before that to make sure he was okay for the anethesia. that all came back normal. granted, that was awhile ago, but the problems started to show up again not too long after that. also, when he had his last flare up, they did the same bloodwork before they did the biopsy on he inflammation and that was fine. the vet didn't seem to concerned about the kidney function. i just don't know what else to do. he's on pain meds, but he's still peeing places that aren't the litter box.
[notify]

Einstein

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:31am PST 
ok, i'm starting to be at my wit's end. einstein has been on the cosequin for a month and a half now. i thought he might be feeling better because i hadn't caught him peeing anywhere abnormal yet, but i just caught him peeing in my dog's crate and now my whole room smells like cat pee. i don't know what else to do for him. if i can't get this resolved soon, he might have to be euthanized... frown i can't deal with him peeing places other than the litterbox. i live in a house with roommates, not all are super fond or forgiving of cats. does anyone have any suggestions of other things to try?
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:55am PST 
Try this for litter box help: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

Maybe your cat is trying to tell you something shrug Lots of cats pee outside the litter box when they are unhappy with something, like another cat in the house or a dog. Sometimes it is a behavioral issues.

I would get a second opinion from an another vet, too.

Make sure to clean up all the pee spots with an enzymer cleaner like Nature's Miracle. It will get rid of the smell and keep a cat from peeing on the same spts over and over again.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2