GO!

drastic change in meow

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Oct 1, '12 10:37am PST 
I noticed Saturday night that Tig's meow was tiny & scratchy sounding. Sunday too. He has not meowed today. And he is a higher pitched LOUD MEOWER. He seems fine, eating ok, bouncing around, everything. I felt his throat & do not feel any lumps or swelling. I looked at his teeth & inside - nothing. My mom did say she thought she saw him kind of gag Saturday, but I did not see it, and I can't be sure exactly what she saw. He is not the type to chew on anything or pick up anything. I did a search & it seems that they can get laryngitis. The only thing I can think of is that they all had some nip on Friday night - that maybe there was a stem that scratched his throat. I am watching things for then next day or two, and I will get him in if it does not get better. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I worrying too much?
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Mon Oct 1, '12 1:51pm PST 
Every once in awhile Lacey will have a kind of scratchy or low meow but it doesn't last and she's a big mouth and meows a lot so she's probably wearing her voice out. laugh out loud

Just do what you're doing and keep an eye on it (or should I say an ear to it, MOL). Make sure it doesn't go on too long or doesn't affect his eating, etc.
[notify]

Lexi

Purred: Mon Oct 1, '12 6:02pm PST 
lexi has kitty herpes and whenever a flare up is starting, her meow gets quieter than normal and a bit hoarse. once her little flare up is over, her meow goes back to normal. it could be the beginning of a cold or something. the vet told me not to worry too much unless she had discharge of a color other than clear coming out of her eyes or nose or obviously, if she was acting odd. i'd say just keep an eye on her.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Tue Oct 2, '12 2:54pm PST 
Yes, Blade once had this. His voice got hoarser over a couple of days until he lost it completely and could only manage a silent meow. He was also gagging and had trouble swallowing his dried food. He may also have had a slightly high temperature but I can't remember as it was some years ago. When we took him to the vets, he was given an anti-inflammatory injection and an antibiotic injection and he started to recover really quickly - he was back to normal again within a day or two. The vet told us that cats can get laryngitis, just as humans can.
Hope Tigger is better soon!

Edited by author Tue Oct 2, '12 2:54pm PST

[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Tue Oct 2, '12 3:51pm PST 
Just an update - Tig is a tinsy bit better. His meow is still very raspy, but I can tell a difference. If only kitties could drink a cuppa tea w honey & lemon! mol! I know I was prob over reacting, but I worry about him so much. Thanks for your responses. I will update in a few days
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Thu Oct 4, '12 3:35pm PST 
Tig's voice is almost all the way back to normal. I was so happy to hear him talking to me this morning! cheer
[notify]