GO!

Supplements for an immune supressed cat?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Vincent

Please- spay/neuter your- feline companion

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:38pm PST 
For those that don't know, Vincent came to us when a hoarder dumped him on the street; he literally came running into our home one night when we opened a door. We know he came from the local hoarder (that animal control can't deal with because they are underfunded and can't make so many court appearances) because she told us she had the cat and "there's something wrong with it. Get rid of it." Anyway, he was obviously never vaccinated or neutered, and he came to us with Feline Leukemia.

What supplements in addition to L-Lysine can I give him that will boost his immune system? What can I give (I'm not sure if raw is ok for a FLV cat) him that will help with blood flow and the anemia issues common with FLV cats? The veterinarians around here are trained by Hill's and Purina, so they push those foods as part of prevention, even though the ingredients are garbage.

Edited by author Thu Aug 16, '12 8:03pm PST

[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '12 12:13am PST 
B12 shots are good for a cat that needs a boost, they help aid in absorption of nutrients. Dr Diane Addie also suggest feeding several teaspoons of minced beef per week to meet arginine requirements, a vitamin that helps the cat's immune system..
[notify]

Vincent

Please- spay/neuter your- feline companion

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '12 6:52pm PST 
Thank you Norman. Strangely, with Velcro none of the veterinarians she saw recommended vitamin B injections. They just recommended a good diet, though our views of good diet are different since they wanted me to feed grain-heavy hardly any meat Science Diet, and L Lysine supplements. I will get some plain beef for him; would beef heart or a cut of beef be better?

Thank fully he's eating well, not dropping weight, and still has plenty of energy and playfulness.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 12:59am PST 
Dr Addie suggest something like lean roast cut into very small pieces. I take B12 shots twice a month because of my IBD, I can't tell you how much they have helped me and they are fairly inexpensive, you could even give them yourself. I eat mainly canned food along with boiled chicken and pink salmon. I have had IBD for a long time now and am doing pretty good considering I also have liver problems, gall bladder issues and allergies. We tried the Science Diet dry food, but for some reason it aggravates my allergies.
[notify]