GO!

3rd eyelid always showing

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '12 3:28am PST 
Last week i took in a badly neglected 13 week old kitten, he had fleas and worms , his fur was severly matted and he is underweight,
ive taken him to the vets who said despite these problems he seems in good health and he was wormed and given a flea treatment,
in the few days that i've had him he's put on weight and has turned out to be a very handsome, very friendly little boy but his 3rd eyelid is always showing in the corner of both eyes,
i've never seen this in any of my cats so i was wondering if it could be a sign of something, Mac does go back to the vets on thursday for his first vaccination and i will ask about it then but i was hoping for a little input before then xxx

edited to add that he is a ragdoll cross, just incase its a ragdoll thing!

Edited by author Tue Aug 14, '12 3:32am PST

[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '12 7:37am PST 
are his eyes watery, red, puffy, runny? is he squinting or or pawing at them? baby's third eyelid was showing, took her to the vet, no scratch, vet said it was either irritated or minor infection, got drops, so, if you could get him in a day or two earlier, it would help. Mac is a really pretty boy. keep us updated.

purrs
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '12 9:03am PST 
Thank you Baby, the vets are closed now until the morning but i will ring them then,
Mac's eyes are clear, no redness, no stickiness and no puffiness, he doesn't try to scratch them in fact he doesn't seem bothered by them at all...it's just me who's bothered!
red face

Edited by author Tue Aug 14, '12 9:05am PST

[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '12 3:34pm PST 
sounds like me, bothers me more than baby, lol. well, thanks a good sign if there not bothering him. we will be purring and praying for good news on Mac's eyes.

purrs
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:00am PST 
Well, the vet said he didn't think it was anything to worry about, he said Mac might grow out of it or it just could be how his eyes are (seeing as the eyelid shows the same in both eyes) , there's no sign of infection, no scratches, nothing abnormal that he could see at all...and the vet did have a good look.
I will try not to be so paranoid in future...but im sure thats not going to happen!

Mac had his first vaccination today, got a good check up from the vet and got weighed, in 7 days he's put on 300g, he's still a little underweight but not by much happy dance
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 11:44am PST 
he's put on 400g not 300g, my mistake red face
[notify]

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '12 8:11pm PST 
If you do some research on the net, you will read that cats showing their third eyelid almost always means there is some illness going on. Most likely it is herpes. The herpes virus is VERY common in stray cats and kittens. In cats, the herpes virus causes sores in the eyes, mouth, nose and throat. If your kitten has herpes, he will almost for sure give it to your other cats as it is highly contagious. I have eight rescues and when I brought in one stray one summer who had herpes, eventually all my cats caught it. Now when one of them gets an outbreak (often brought on by stress) they all come down with it. I have to med eight cats twice a day for several weeks. It's a chore, but most of the time the med my vet gives me to treat them (L-Lysine) helps prevent them from getting too sick. But sometimes if I don't catch it in time, one of them gets sick enough that they have to go to the vet and get antibiotics, steroid shots and fluids.

It might not be herpes, but it is the most likely senerio as it is estimated that around 80% of stray cats have the herpes virus. Ask your vet about it and see if they supply Lysine. Here in Ohio it is really affordable. I get it in a flavored gel form, and I use a needle-less syringe to inject it into their mouthes. (btw, Lysine is an amino-acid that suppresses the herpes virus...it's the most effective treatment for herpes).

Anyway, hope this info helps. Hope your kitty will be okay. If you have other cats (I think I read you did???) I would advise you to seperate your new kitten from them until you know for sure whether the kitten has herpes, or another disease. If you haven't already, make sure he's tested for feline leukemia and feline AIDS. If he has either of those, you definately don't want to expose him to your other cats as those two diseases are the most deadly of feline diseases.

Good luck!
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 7:00am PST 
I did ask the vet about herpes ( my angel cat Ludo used to have it but wasn't diagnosed until he was 15! ) the vet said he was sure it wasn't that, Mac has had 2 good check ups and the blood work done last week came back fine, just his eyelids dont retract all the way.
i have noticed in the last 2 days that Macs 3rd eyelids are retracting a little further so i'm hoping its just me being paranoid. He goes back to the vet in just over a week so i will be asking a lot more questions then...and will definitely double check with them about the herpes thing.
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 8:59am PST 
It could maybe be from not feeling well. Especially if you are noticing that it is getting better since you have had him. Keep an eye on it, and keep your vet updated with it.
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Thu Sep 6, '12 2:41pm PST 
Just a quick update, Mac's 3rd eyelid is now normal, he saw the vet again today (has been every week for the last 4 weeks) and hes now a very healthy weight, he did have flea anemia when i got him and the vet explained that was almost certainly why his eyes were the way they were.
[notify]