GO!

Cat has VERY irritated, itchy skin. Product recommendation?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sophie

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:57am PST 
My poor baby is suffering from some pretty bad itchiness. I can feel a rash under her hair, covered with hard scabs and bumps. They occur at her shoulder blades and rump area, they do not extend down her sides/legs/belly/etc. There is some itchiness and scabs around her neck, as well. The worst area is her rump and back directly above her tail.

Now, she has always had sensitive skin. We switched her to a grain free, high quality food formula a few years back and she has vastly improved. She is also highly allergic to fleas, which normally cause this sort of reaction on her.
I work at a dog grooming salon (recently quit) with a lot of flea-ridden pups and it is quite likely that I brought a few home around a month ago. However, I was hyper-cautious about having the animals on preventatives as soon as I started this job, and have diligently ensured that no fleas remain in my house. The animals are both brushed and bathed regularly (we go over the cat with the flea comb as well, no dirt or eggs seen).

I am worried a flea did get on her and caused a reaction, but any fleas are long gone at this point. I think it is just a remaining rash. Is there anything I can do to soothe her horrendously itchy skin? I love her to death and I hate seeing her in such discomfort.
Any particular shampoo, scrub, spray, additive, etc you can think of that will help kick this rash in the butt??
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 3:28pm PST 
I'd take her to the vet. Your vet can help determine a cause for the reaction and recommend or prescribe remedies based on the cause. She/he may also help relieve the symptoms with a steroid shot or a short course of oral steroids or antihistamines.

Hope you feel better soon, Sophie! hug

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:13pm PST 
Sophie, my mom's cat Munch (13 yrs old) has developed some sort of allergies in the past couple years. She's been taking him in to the vet for cortisone shots every month or so, but she thinks he's become immune to them. He itches so bad he causes open sores. My mom was watching the Dr OZ Show the other day and there was a holistic vet on there that recommended using apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) to swab on the affected areas with a cotton swab. She's been putting the mix on Munch for the past four days or so, and it seems to be working! We were worried the strong vinegar smell would bother Munch, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, and he is not itching nearly as much! I didn't see the show myself, so maybe do a little research about that sort of holistic treatment for itching. If you like what you read, give it a try! It's much less costly than cortisone shots and I'm sure much better health-wise for your cat. Good luck! (p.s. make sure it's apple cider vinegar, and not white vinegar!)
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Sun Aug 5, '12 6:21am PST 
I'm allergic to fleas too. If I get some on me I'll scratch myself raw. Momma takes me to the vet and they give me a shot that makes me feel better. I agree with the idea of visiting the vet. Also, are your kitties on any sort of flea prevention meds? Especially with you working as a dog groomer, they will help keep fleas off. Also, making sure your house is vacuumed on a regular basis helps.

Sulfadene is good to help stop the itching and soothe the skin as a temporary measure. I know its uncomfortable to be itchy.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Aug 5, '12 7:02am PST 
In the meantime you could also get some clear, fractionally distilled aloe vera liquid and rub it all over you. It's not toxic and soothes and heals. make sure it's fractionally distilled and clear! George's is a good brand. Good luck, poor baby this sounds terrible. thinking
[notify]

Sophie

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 11:32am PST 
Thanks guys! I'll try the Apple Cider Vinegar or the Aloe Vera. I don't think Sophie would react well to veterinary steroid shots... She's older, and awfully sensitive. I'm not too partial to chemical treatments of ailments on my animals when it isn't absolutely necessary, anyway. smile
[notify]

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:46pm PST 
Hi Sophie's mom...just wondering if you've tried any of the remedies we recommended & if they worked. Give us an update if you can! I hope her itching is better!
[notify]