GO!

Greenlee continues to urinate on furniture...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Greenlee (In- Loving- Memory)

I'm sweet as- sugar but I can- be a spice!

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 5:45pm PST 
Please see my other thread I posted for updated information to this thread!

We got our 3 year old cat, Greenlee, as a kitten. She is the sweetest, most loving cat, and would be the best cat except for pees on the couch. When she was about 1 year old, she began urinating on our couch, rugs, recliner chair, blankets, and occasionally a bed. We took her into the vet a couple months after noticing she was urinating and nothing was changing after soaking the couches and recliner chair in vinegar, baking soda, soap, water, Nature's Miracle, and beyond. The vet's said she had Urine Crystals, so they gave her antibiotic shots, and sent us home with the nasty Science Diet Prescription Diet for Urinary Tract Health hard food. After finding out about the Science Diet truth, I stopped feeding her it and started her on Wellness Wet Food and numerous other grain-free wet foods. Unfortunately Greenlee and our other cats won't eat canned cat food. They turn their nose up to every kind, every time. Since then, we started her and the other cats on Before Grain hard food, and the cats love it. Leo throws up less and has less hairballs. Their fur is shiny and beautiful. They have regular access to water all the time, and Greenlee likes to drink from the water tap. We can never seem to catch Greenlee peeing lately, but she does it during the night, and we have caught her a couple times.

There have been no recent changes in life or environment even before she started urinating. She has had the same litter (Tidy Cats) all her life. The other cats don't bully her so she can't use the litter box. She does poop in the litter box, just doesn't pee in the litter box. The litter boxes are kept pretty clean. I hope this isn't behavioral and she's made it into a habit.

I am thinking of taking her back to the vet tomorrow. I am hoping they'll retest her for urine crystals or a bladder infection. Please let me know what else to ask the vet and what else to test her for. I am just looking for just some more information on this subject.

Thanks!

Edited by author Sun Jul 29, '12 6:36pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:33pm PST 
You'll find lots of info here: http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth Urinary issues are often misdiagnosed shrug There is info about that in the link. It also has info about why dry foods contribute to urinary issues (no water = concentrated urine and a dehydrated body).

If the cats won't eat canned food right away, just leave the bowl down. They might come back later to sample the food.

Is the litter box clean and scooped frequently? Cats don't like to use a dirty box. http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox for litter box tips.

Edited by author Tue Jul 24, '12 6:33pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 7:13pm PST 
Yes, litter box is kept clean. The issue with the wet cat food is, we can leave the wet food down for weeks and they still won't touch it.
[notify]

Larry

Cant get me down

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '12 6:29pm PST 
We had the same issue with Larry and wet food. He refused to eat it and we eventually had him locked in a room (he had surgery and had to be confined) and left the wet food down for 2 days before putting out fresh and he never touched it!

I kept buying different kinds (both flavors and textures) and then fancy feast came out with the appetizer things. I tried the chicken one and Larry LOVED it. He only eats the appetizers chicken and beef flavors (my other cats love the seafood flavors). Its strange but keep trying different flavors and textures and you might find something that she likes.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 12:55am PST 
Besides trying wet food, have you tried the cat milk from like Whiskas. Brownie loves it better than the Cat Sips milk. Two of my cats drink from a water fountain. They say cats will drink more water from a fountain. But I'm afraid you will have to keep trying more wet foods until you can find one. We have not tried raw yet. I'm still looking at all the options. Nature's Variety has new shapes in raw. I keep hoping for other flavors in the sample bags. Maybe we will get the duck one when it gets cooler to get it home. The sample bags are only 0.65 lb. I'll go regardless if they send me a good coupon for it. Have you tried any raw?

Cover your furniture in plastic, double baby gating the room when you are not in the room or Putting a litter pan to the room, I'm not sure if anything will help until you get more moister in Greenlee. There are new pet furniture covers I think I saw on HSN. That will not solve the problem, I'm sorry.

Have you given Larry Weruva or the other brand Weruva makes for Petco called Soulistic? The Good Karma is the same as the Paw Lickin' Chicken. It have lots of gravy. I still have to cut it up smaller to get Brownie to eat it all and I add more water to make more gravy. I have tried a ton of wet food. Unless they have more than 78% moister I can not get them. I'd have to sit on the floor as they tried the wet food. To get Cookie to get more, I'd hand feeder some of the slice in the wet food. I know gross, but it worked. She is get more on her own. Another one with lots of gravy is Merrick Cowboy Cookout. The ultra gravy one is Soulistic Aqua Grill Tilapia & Tuna Dinner with real fish. PS, don't waste your money on Vita Gravy. No one liked it.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 2:27pm PST 
The website that Merlin mentioned (catinfo.org) also has excellent tips on how to switch cats from dry food to wet food that might be helpful. Don't give up!
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 5:14pm PST 
You are right. Don't give up. Dry food is just not good for them. I have a new kitten and she is getting only canned food. The idea that dry food helps with teeth is false. She may be urinating on the furniture because of her association with the litter box when she pees. Have you tried Dr. Elsey's litter? He even had a litter attaction material that will attract the cat to pee in the litter.
I like his litter a lot as well as one other. I also found that my cats don't like the round litter boxes and will go in only square ones. I have four litter boxes for two cats and they are placed in separate areas. Having multiple areas help if there was bullying going on or if she hates the area because of her infection problem. ...There are so many wet foods....Keep looking....but not in the grocery stores. Get the food that has no grains in it...
[notify]

Baron

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 5:51pm PST 
I would definitely take her back to the vet and have her checked out especially if the peeing behavior stopped and then returned. Goo had a blockage and was peeing inappropriately and we all learned the hard way about science diet prescription for pee probs. Bad idea and significant weight gain! We switched over all of our kitties to wet food. Most of them took to it without issue and one was hard to switch over and every now and then will be super finicky.

What I did in the beginning was put a scoop of the wet food (a small amount) on the bottom of the plate and then put the dry food on top. At first she was hesitant but then started to go for the dry. We did that for like a week or so and then kept the same amount of wet and pushed some of the dry pieces into the wet. More of the dry pointing out then being stuck in. She eventually transitioned over 100% but like I said, she will be finicky at times and refuse to eat any of the wet. And of course me being the concerned kitty mama, I will give in and give her some dry. But usually when doing that she will eat all of the wet.

Be careful when trying lots of different foods and make sure that you test out foods that meet nutritional needs for kitties. Some foods are to be treated as "treats" instead of actually meals.

Good luck!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 6:18pm PST 
Larry, those Fancy Feast Appetizers are not complete meals shock They are ony meant as a supplement to be fed alongside dry food or as a treat. The label has a teeny tiny easy to miss statement that says this. If you are currently feeding the Appetizers as the main food, you need to switch to a regular nutritionally complete food so that you get all the important vitamins and minerals. Try a brand that is similar like Weruva which is mostly food in gravy. Weruva also makes Soulistic which you can find at Petco.

Greenlee, really stubborn dry food addicts will take weeks if not months to at least try some canned food shrug Your Human needs to be patient no matter how frustrating it may seem. Here are tips on how to transition to canned food.

Do you like freeze dried meat treats? You can crush some up and smush it on top of canned food to make it more yummy. Or you can try Nature's Variety's new Raw Daily Boost powder on top of the canned food.

It also won't hurt to get a second vet opinion. Take copies of your cat's medical records to the second vet.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jul 29, '12 6:32pm PST 
Please see my other thread I posted for updated information to this thread!

Update on Greenlee:

I ended up driving all the way to Salt Lake City to AVC Wednesday morning just for them to deny Greenlee care because I am a little under 18 and not authorized to use the Care-Credit card. Our regular vet, Quail Pointe Veterinarian Hospital, knows my family and I really well, so they let me use the Care-Credit card when I take the pets to appointments. We have been going there since 2007. We are completely and totally satisfied with their care. They are amazing! The only reason we took Greenlee to Antelope Vet Hospital is because Quail Pointe didn't have any appointments that day.

Anyway, when I was driving home, I called our regular vet and asked them if they had an ultrasound machine and what is the earliest day they could get Greenlee in. They said the earliest day when the radiologist could come in was this Tuesday (7/31/12). Antelope Vet faxed Greenlee's bloodwork and urinalysis results to Quail Pointe. They agreed that it was best to go the ultrasound route. We are eagerly awaiting Tuesday to come. I am dying to know what's wrong with our sweet Greenlee :|

It was either home treatment or hospitalization until Tuesday. We chose home treatment over hospitalizing her because that would cost us $700 to hospitalize her until the ultrasound. They had us come and get some liver medication (big horse pills), Science Diet K/D wet food, a syringe, and go buy plain Pedialyte and give her this until Tuesday.

However, we ended up hospitalizing Greenlee Saturday morning because she completely stopped eating and drinking and was becoming lethargic. We realized we probably weren't equipped to keep a sick cat from getting worse for almost a week. It was probably the best decision for all involved to have her hospitalized until her ultrasound on Tuesday and then we will decide and go from there.

Also, how do I tell them I DO NOT want her on that nasty Science Diet K/D prescription wet food? They seem to be very content and reassuring that it's not as bad as I think. What other foods are out there that will help her liver and not make it worse like K/D? Please give me a list and description, so I can go over there and have actual proof of why I want her on a different wet food. I am very concerned with this.

Thanks and please pray for good news. We are worried sick about Greenlee. She's only three years old! She hasn't even lived half of her life yet. She can't die! :'(

Edited by author Sun Jul 29, '12 6:35pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2