GO!

My kitten has had diarrhea for 4 days straight. Help?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spooky

OH LOOK A PERSON- FOR ME TO LOVE

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 5:49pm PST 
I adopted a 7-week old kitten 5 days ago, and since the day after, almost all bowel movements have been diarrhea. It often just drips out of her bottom; she doesn't seem to have much control over it, which means it's almost never left in the litterbox, but rather in drops around my bathroom (where I'm keeping her until she's well enough to introduce to my other cat).

She doesn't seem lethargic or dehydrated, and she eats and drinks well. She also has had fleas since I got her, which I just found out, and is being treated for them. I brought her to a veterinarian 2 days ago, and was given a generic anti-bacterial medication- a thick, yellowish liquid in a dropper bottle.

Even after giving her half a dropper full once daily (as instructed) for the past 2 days, plus today, she still has diarrhea. I'm getting really worried, sometimes it has blood in it, and she must be in pain. And I have had to bathe her 4 times already since I got her because she had diarrhea on her. She's also spit up a little a few times, once today, and 3 times a few days ago.

Please, what can I do to help my poor kitty?
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:51pm PST 
you could try adding some organic canned pumpkin to her food. Not pumpkin pie stuff - just pumpkin.
goodluck!
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 8:05pm PST 
I found this on another site about this issue and here are some ideas:

Responding in a prompt manner is the key when it comes to fighting diarrhea in cats and kittens. Some of the measures you can take at home while waiting for the vet appointment are:

Feeding plain yogurt with active cultures.
Cooked hamburger and twice-cooked rice mixed together.
Bene-Bac powder- available at any good pet supply store.
GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) Liquid- 3 drops in wet food.
Adding fiber to the diet to see if the stools become formed.

http://www.felinexpress.com/cat-health/diarrhea.asp

Th e main thing I would do is get her on one food and stick with it, sometimes switching foods, especially since the shelters use what they can since they are so short on money, can upset a kittens belly so it may just take time for her to get used to the better food.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:02am PST 
What is the nearest holistic pet food store to you?? You need to call them now to get some probiotics like Eagle Pack Holistic Solutions. Just sprinkle it over the food. I'm not sure what food you picked, but a safe one is canned Friskies, the Pate ones only. Give them a try too!

http://www.holisticselect.com/cat-digestive-aid-holistic-sol ution
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 2:48am PST 
Has she seen a vet since this started? It can't hurt, especially since she is very, very young and kittens' health can decline very quickly.

Do you know what she was being fed before you adopted her? Sudden, abrupt changes in diet can be hard for a kitty's system to adjust to. If you can find out what she was eating before and switch her back, then slowly introduce her to the food you'd rather feed her, she might have an easier time adjusting. Otherwise, it might take time for her system to get used to the new food.

I also agree with others who've suggested fiber (pumpkin) and probiotics. way to go

Good luck, Spooky! Keep us posted! hug

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 6:31am PST 
At 7 weeks old, she is too young, to be weaned, surprised the rescue organization, let her go that early. What are you feeding her? What were they feeding her?

Little kittens have very very sensative little systems, any change in food, can upset their little systems.
Little kittens can also go down hill very quickly, especially with diarea, it dehydrates them.

Has she ben wormed? Kittens can be wormed at 6 weeks, and it should be done with Drontal, which you get at the vet, it comes in liquid or pill, at her age, they will most likely give her the liquid. All kittens have worms, even kittens born to championship show parents, thats just how it is.

I have never seen an antibiotic in yellow color, but Drontal is yellow, light yellow, and smells like bananas, are you sure its an antibiotic? What they gave you, should be on your statement, what does it say?

I highly recommend you take her to a vet, and ask for an x-ray, it will show, if her intestines are inflammed, it will show up, as dark, on the x-ray, which they should show you. If her intestines are inflammed, they would put her on Metronidazole. It comes in liquid or pill, most likely they will give her liquid. You give it for 10 days, they show improvement in 3 days.

The diarea and throw up, indicates that. I went thru it, pet sitter, at that time, gave my kittens adult food, came home from a show, to 2 sick 10 week old kittens.

That there is blood, in her diarea, is not good, she needs medical attention. She is most likely dehydrated. They should give her sub q fluids, they inject it under the skin, between her shoulder blades.

If your vet is blowing you off, find another vet, this is a cannot wait situation, especially, with a kitten that young. Best of luck.

(((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))
[notify]

Spooky

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:13am PST 
I'm going to try feeding Spooky boiled white rice and chicken, as he suggested... As well as some pumpkin and some probiotics.

To answer some questions, she was being fed a mix of wet (pate) and dry Friskies kitten food in the shelter. Now we're giving her a mix of the same dry Friskies and dry Blue Buffalo, since I heard Blue Buffalo is very good. This I guess I'll mix with the new diet above as to not shock her little digestive system too much.

She has had a vet appointment since the diarrhea started- two, actually. I'm technically fostering her until she is old enough to be spayed and adopted (by me). So the shelter's vet took a look at her on Friday, when he gave us the liquid medicine in the dropper for her diarrhea; no statement, so I don't know exactly what it is. My own vet saw her on Saturday and approved of that medicine.

We also just gave our vet a stool sample of Spooky's, and we'll have the results by midday tomorrow.

The occasional blood in her diarrhea is a small amount, and I believe it's from her irritated bottom itself, from the frequent diarrhea.

What probiotics would you all recomend? Thanks for the help!
[notify]

Juliette

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:24am PST 
Changing food does take time with kittens. Did you say that you are treating for fleas? How are you treating for fleas? Kittens should not be given any flea treatment. It is very harmful to them. Combing the fleas and washing them helps. Consult with vet all of the time. Please never use Hartz that you find in the cat department in food stores. I am glad that you are having a stool sample checked. Let us know what they find. I got my kitten at three months. By then, they are fully socialied and weaned from mom. Rescues let them go too early. Going to the vet is your best move here and not to try to fix everything on your own. If your kitten doesn't improve soon, check another vet. Four days of diarrhea are hard on a kitten....Other advice here is great.
[notify]

Spooky

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 5:52pm PST 
I am treating for fleas using half a Captsar tablet, as instructed by my vet. I've given that to her on Saturday and today, since my vet said to give it every other day until the fleas are gone. I've also bathed my kitty a few times, and I comb her with a flea comb 2 or 3 times a day. Actually, it's trange, since my vet made it sound like she had a lot of fleas, but it combing her I've only gotten out about 3. I wonder if I'm not doing it right, or she just didn't have many fleas to begin with.

My kitten's stools today were actually (for the most part) in the litterbox, and not as liquidy as the past few days. Maybe the medicine just took a while to start working... Still, I'll have to wait and see the results of the stool test tomorrow.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Tue Jul 24, '12 12:04am PST 
"What probiotics would you all recomend? Thanks for the help!" I suggested Eagle Pack. But call the holistic pet stores around you and get one they have in stock.

Just a thought, the Blue Buffalo might be to rich for Spooky at this age. Hold it for five weeks.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2