GO!

Health Tests for Bengals

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Jul 11, '12 2:53am PST 
I've always adopted from shelters or taken free kittens from opps litters, but I'm interested in getting a purebred for my next cat. The Bengal is currently at the top of my list but I'm not 100% sure which health tests I should be looking for when choosing a breeder. Anyone know which tests a good breeder should be doing on their breeding stock?
[notify]

â™”Jeepurrs- Creepurrsâ™”

Her Royal- Majesty - off with his- head!!!

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 6:31pm PST 
I'm not sure about health testing for Bengals..they are bred for a square and wide chest - so they are subject to "flat chested kitten syndrome" - I don't think that needs to be tested for because they either have it or they don't.
HCM should be tested for according to some sources. But other than that I can't think of any particular health problems to watch for.
Inappropriate elimination is a big problem with many Bengals, though.
They are very active and VERY vocal cats. They are intelligent and fun cats to be owned by - they are very aggressive and territorial though, so it is hard to integrate other cats into your home.
Good luck!
[notify]