GO!

Need help with cats that need to lose weight.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Coco

I'm cute and- know it.

Purred: Wed Jul 4, '12 4:50pm PST 
Both of my cats need to lose weight. Coco is around 10 lbs and should be around 7-8lbs according to my vet. Mezzy is 12 lbs and should be 9-10lbs. They currently get either Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner wet food or Blue Buffalo Wilderness Turkey wet food. I give them half a can each 2x/day. Merrick states their 5.5 oz can is 172kcal per can. Blue Buffalo is 203kcal/can.

If I use the weight my cats should be Coco's calories would be 160-200cal (8lbs) & Mezzy 200-250 (10 lbs). How are they still fat? Shouldn't they be losing weight and not gaining? Am I calculating something wrong? I've already read catinfo.org so any tips would be appreciated.
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 3:54am PST 
If I understand this correctly, mol, and its kinda early, your feeding 1/2 5.5 oz can twice a day? That is way too much, if your trying to loose weight.

You need to feed 1/2 3.0 oz can twice a day. I would also just stick with the Blue Buffalo. Cowboy gets 1/2 3.0 oz can, mixed with water, so its real soupy, and 1/8 cup dry at night, Blue Buffalo chicken, and this, amount is per his vet. That boy ain't thin, mol, and his brother Cruiser, I wouldn't want any more weight on him, brothers, from the same litter, both finished in the top 25 in their region. Judges don't final, a thin kitty, mol.

((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 3:55am PST 
This is me, I ain't a thin boy either, mol, mommy don't want no more weight on me, mol.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 9:01am PST 
I wouldn't cut back drastically on the calories, since as you know if cats lose weight too quickly they can develop fatty liver disease. Try to up their activity, and check with your vet on how many calories they should be getting for safe weight loss.
[notify]

Coco

I'm cute and- know it.

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 9:26am PST 
The vet said they should be around 200 calories but that was a guestimation on his part. Feeding each cat 3 oz a day would be around 100 calories total. That seems entirely too low since all of the calcuations I've seen seem to be in the 200 calorie range for their desired weight range.

I thought I've already cut their calories by using thir desired weight range in the calcualtions as opposed to their actual weight. I don't want to cut their calories to much. Do high protein diets make it harder for cats to lose weight?
[notify]

Angel

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 11:11am PST 
"High protein diet" as opposed to what kind of diet? Cats are obligate carnivores and don't digest carbs, so feeding kibble can make it harder for cats to lose weight.

Ever since we switched to an all canned diet (Weruva chicken flavors and all flavors of flaked Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet) five weeks ago, Angel and Gidget have lost weight. Demon initially lost weight as well, until he started hanging out in the kittens' room where they have free-fed kibble (they're only 4 months old) and eats their food -- now he has gained half a pound. Angel, Demon and Gidget split a 5.5 oz can between them, twice a day. All are ready to eat at meal time, and only Demon begs for food between meals.

Now that Angel has lost a little over a pound, she is more social and spry, and she likes to play again.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:44am PST 
How long have they been on the diet? Kitties should lose only 3-4 ounces a week at most, which is not always visible to us. And they can hit plateaus just like people, which is why it's important to give them a good workout.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 2:29pm PST 
You are feeding the correct amount. A 3 oz. can a day is not enough food for a cat. In addition to more exercise, try to feed the highest percentage of protein/lowest percentage of carbs you can. I like the charts on this website to help figure out carbs: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:11pm PST 
BK, the info on the Binky's chart is somewhat outdated shrug Try these newer charts for newer brands of foods and more current values way to go

Pet Food Nutritional Values
Hobo's Guide to Nutritional Valuse
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 7:52pm PST 
We have so much trouble posting that we hardly ever do it anymore, but we awant to reminfd you that just as with people, genetics and metabolism matter; Maine Coons, Manxs,Ragdoll American shorthair as breed examples have lower metabolic rates (as do just-plain -cats like me with the big boy gene) and a little food goes a long way; the littlest Burmese girl here (5 pounds) would starve on what keeps Cruiser big, and Orientals and Siamese have high metabolism rates also. You have to figure in how active they are too; bottom line, if he isn't happy with less food, you have to go to a less fattening one.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2