GO!

Ripping out all the hair on his belly/legs/tail

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Attila the- Hun

Mommy? Mommy!- MOMMY!!

Purred: Mon Mar 26, '12 9:52am PST 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAUHH!!

So Attila has decided to tear out all the fur on his lower belly, inner hind legs, and base of his tail. We recently moved to Long Beach in early January, into not really the greatest or cleanest apartment (we will be relocating asap). He is up to date on his flea prevention and his food (TotW) hadn't changed, but I did start feeding him drastically less because he was quite overweight and is now strictly indoors.

The hair pulling started maybe a month ago. His skin isn't irritated, his general demeanor is normal, and if anything he has been getting happier as he's adjusted to this 700-mile move. I don't know what could be causing him to do this!!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 7:36am PST 
There are so many things this could be that the only thing I would recommend is a vet visit. It takes time to rule out all the possibilities and although we all might have suggestions, there's nothing like a hands-on or visual exam. Good luck!
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:42am PST 
This is Delyte. I have been doing this since last summer, and the vet has not been able to figure out why. No fleas, no skin issues, and the skin biopsy came back okay. New better fur has grown back, too. For a while I had baldish patches, which was not an attractive look, but now the hair grows back so fast that you can't really see anything. I am going to be 17 soon and have bad arthritis in my hips, so they thought it might be something to do with that, but they really don't know. Or something to do with getting senile? The house looks like someone exploded a cat in it! Jet black fur is hard to ignore.

If you can, you might try putting a small dog sweater or baby's t-shirt on the kitty, to keep him from getting to most of the spots. I had a dog sweater in the winter that I tolerated and I looked quite cute in it. But it is too hot for that now. Plus if the kitty is pulling off on his rump and around his far nether end,you can't keep that covered up without having a very frustrated cat and extra laundry to do.

Let us know if they ever figure out what it is! Giant but balding purrs to you all! cat on moon
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 1:48pm PST 
A vet visit is a must. It may be something physical, but stress can also cause a cat to start over-grooming. A move and a cut in his food are both stress-inducing. Also, be very careful about not cutting back too drastically on his calorie intake. If he loses weight too quickly, he develop liver disease.
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '12 7:22pm PST 
we would go with stress, if there is nothing physically wrong with him, stress would be the next option. a vet check could not hurt, and maybe, the vet might have a idea how to calm him down.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 12:38pm PST 
This is Delyte. A friend of ours reminded us that she had the same problem and it stopped when she had her bad teeth removed and the infection fixed. Any kind of paon can cause displacement and frustration, so the vet should check anything that might be hurting him. Also, anal glands? They cause a weird kind of pain and often have to be cleared by the vet. Giant purrs!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:04pm PST 
Monster is right. I did this when I was very sick. Although I was very sick. But we've seen kitties do it and act normal before knowing there was any health issue. Just to make sure there isn't anything going on other than stress, I think also a vet visit is in order just to nip any problems in the bud. It still could be stress from the move even if he's acting normal otherwise. As BK said, it's a matter of going down the list of possibilities. thinking
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:35pm PST 
I do agree, being that he is 17 yrs old, take him to the vet, to rule out any medical issue, ask for a senior Wellness and CBC blood panel too.

I highly highly recommend Blue Wilderness, it has omega 3 & 6 in it, as well as life source bits, antioxidants. I haunt the Blue Buffalo board, many many posts, from cat and dog people, say their itchy skin issues disapeared. Best of luck. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Thu Mar 29, '12 9:48pm PST 
I would have to agree with everyone who said stress. I also agree with seeing a vet as soon as you can. Though one of our 3 doggie house mates will do the same thing if even one flea bites him. Moving is very stressful as formally stated, I am sure your Meowma is doing the best she can for you!
Please keep us updated on what works and what you find out. You might want to get one of those "Calming Collars" on Face Book, NOT the ones sold in pet stores. I know some cats here have used them and that they do work.
Best of Luck, we will all be purring very hard for you!
hug
[notify]

Matthew- Andrew- Charles - Fisher

MacDaddy

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 3:02am PST 
I started doing that a few years ago (although I wouldn't say I was ripping it out, more like licking it off). I'd started marking my territory, which was odd since I was already 8 & had been fixed as a kitten. Mama posted in here asking what might be causing that & everyone said I probably had a UTI & told her to take me to the vet. She knew I didn't have a UTI so she put off a trip to the vet till she noticed my bald stomach. She thought maybe I'd been licking it like crazy 'cuz something hurt so she took me to the vet. He ruled out a UTI & said I was "barbering" my stomach, which is fairly common among cats, esp. if something is stressing them out. He asked if there were any new cats in the neighborhood since we didn't have any new kitties in the home & he said a neighborhood cat could be spraying nearby & that's why I was spraying. Sure enough that's what was going on. Another vet recently told us that cats will barber whenever they feel uncomfortable in a new situation or if their environment is out of place so I bet that's what's going on. Try getting one of these Feliway diffusers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WHUOEI/ref=sc_pgp__ m_A3A0ZB2IMKQIG1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3A0ZB2IMKQIG1&n&s&v=glance

Mama has the Feliway spray & I really like that. She's gonna get the diffuser next. Good luck!!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2