GO!

Eating after dental surgery

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 6:11pm PST 
Isabelle had a canine tooth removed today and a dental cleaning. She did well with the surgery and came out of anesthesia just fine. The vet tech told me to offer only a small amount of food and water tonight, so I gave her about an ounce of wet food. She scarfed it down dancing and has been begging for more (she has been NPO since 10pm last night). I waited about an hour before giving her another ounce, and she is STILL wanting more. How much do I let her have?? shrug

I'm just relieved she is eating, since I've heard some kitties don't want to eat after surgery and it causes problems. confused
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 9:11pm PST 
I have had 3 kitties all get dentals and toofies pulled. nobody ate intill later that night. i just left food and water out for them, and let them decide if they wanted to eat. when my 2 boys had dentals, both ate the same night, my one girl, well, she gave dad a little worry, did not eat for a couple days. they all had dentals done at different times. hope this helps.
[notify]

Gogo

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 10:38pm PST 
I think you are fine letting her eat if she wants to. If you have a syringe (without a needle) or something similar you can use to flush out around the area where she had thd tooth extracted with lukewarm water that would be good but not necessary if thd get didn't give you a syringe
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 5:56am PST 
Did the vet give you pain medicine? Removing a tooth is painful. It's good that your cat wants to eat smile You can feed normally but I wouldn't let her eat and eat to make yo for that missed meal. She might throw up and get an upset tummy.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '12 6:10pm PST 
Thanks all! She is on pain meds, 2x/day for 5 days. Surprisingly she has not had any vomiting or anything, and was acting normal the day after! cheer I have kept her on soft food, about 3x a day along with some soft freeze-dried chicken treats. She keeps asking for kibble, but was I really hoping this would be the transition to wet only. We'll see big grin
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 9:20am PST 
Hi Isabelle wave Hope your kitty makes a speedy, full recovery. Letting kitty eat what they want is a good idea, especially if you are trying to transition from kibble to wet. You can go back to scheduled feeding once the patient has recovered from a painful procedure. Good luck with the transition to wet wishes
[notify]