GO!

Service Dog Aggression

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Samson- Service Dog, TD, CGC

More Loyal Every- Day

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 2:14pm PST 
I was watching this video and as a dog walks past the guide dog, the guide Dog Uri lunges and attempts to bite a passing dog. shock The other dog didn't even walk by in an aggressive manner.

The scene is at about 1:45 (remove space)
http://youtu.be/C x4SMPDY76s

This makes me curious, how many of you have had an experience where you were near another service dog and they were aggressive towards your dog. I hear a lot about small yappy purse dogs and police or military K9's that act aggressively towards service dogs but I am interested to hear your stories. This video worries me because the dog was from a guide dog school and it stil was aggressive. Shouldn't he have been washed out of the program for that? I'm not familiar with all of the guide dog rules.
[notify]

Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 2:40pm PST 
I've had other service dogs (well, I have my doubts on their true status) come unglued when they see my Beth. She may glance at them for a moment, but otherwise does not engage with the animal and just keeps doing her job.

However, that said...

Ever seen a dog look embarrassed by the actions of another? Well, I have -- and then I feel embarrassed that I've seen it.
[notify]

Polly

Lolly girl

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 3:08pm PST 
oh wow, that was not good, he didn't just snap at the other dog he went after he other dog. And it looks like this dog is all trained and just getting use to the new handler/owner?

I would not want a service dog or guide dog that acted like that and was dog reactive/aggressive...Yikes!
[notify]

Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 3:11pm PST 
At what point did they test this dog for potential behavior/dominance issues?

Because from what I'm seeing, this is something that should have been discovered early on.
[notify]

More Loyal Every- Day

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 3:19pm PST 
Beth-

That's exactly what I was thinking! At that point the dog was merely supposed to be getting accustomed to his new handler, obedience training shouldn't have been a real issue. The trainer should have mentioned to the handler that Uri was overreactive to other dogs before they started and then warned him as the dog was coming. I wouldn't want that dog either, regardless of the other factors I wouldn't want a dog that could potentially harm another dog.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 4:01pm PST 
Okay that was downright frightening... I have had one service dog bark at Happy... but that was it.. no lunging defiantly no trying to bite.

This video makes me rethink my opinion of guide dogs... though did this dog Actually come from a school? If so which one because that dog seemed really unfinished period, there was lots of jerking and yanking... I don't have a lot good to say about any of it.
[notify]

Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 4:11pm PST 
Oh my, that was pretty bad! My poor guy has been attacked twice by dogs while he was in gear. He is now wary of other dogs around us when he is out.

Its unbelievable the blind person pulled that dog back when he did, he had no idea how close his dog came to getting at the other dog! I didn't watch the video past the attempted attack.
[notify]

More Loyal Every- Day

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 4:15pm PST 
Happy-

I was frightened too! The dog was down right ferocious. I watched his previous video and the trainer had "Fidelco" on his hat, which is a guide dog school that uses GSD's exclusively I believe. I don't know much about this school but I am not impressed by what I saw there. I hope the trainer and the handler worked through those issues, or else we should all be concerned!
[notify]

Zoe

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 8:29pm PST 
That dog was SO not being aggressive. He definitely was excited and wanted to play. Look at the dog's ears, lips, head position, tail, etc. No aggression. Look at the other dog. He/she knew the dog wasn't being aggressive.

Should the dog do this? No, of course not. The dog is in training, and they're working on it. He looks pretty young at that. I wouldn't have the animal destroyed for aggression just yet.
[notify]

Polly

Lolly girl

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 8:52pm PST 
The dog does not need to be destroyed...I don't think anyone said that.
I watched this 3 times and the dog lunged and snaped aggressively at the other dog. What I found odd was the person talking on the video saying, the dog loves to play with other dogs so they need to work on that...um that was not playing. If this cannot be corrected the dog should be a wash out and rehomed..just my opinion

@Happy..yes it is a program dog from Fidelco or Fidecco I looked them up. I watched another video with another dog from them, she looked good. still shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4