GO!

Cat collars?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Egon &- Astrid

Life is made for- loving.

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 3:41pm PST 
This is half curiosity, half market research.

What kind of collar do you keep on your cat, if any? A breakaway, or a classic collar?

I keep classic collars on my cats. The breakaways were always tiny and flimsy, and the only collar-related problem I've ever had with a cat was with a breakaway. It didn't break, and he's gone to the rainbow bridge. The super-skinny webbing put too much pressure on his trachea and it collapsed. My cats now get stuck on everything and just squeeze the collar over their ears and go on their merry ways.

I've always wondered what the point of a breakaway for ID is, anyway.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 5:03pm PST 
If a cat gets stuck on a branch or is attacked by another animal, the breakaway collar will come apart under the pressure and allow the cat to escape instead of choking while struggling. Even indoor cats can squabble and get rough with playtime or even get caught on something so a breakaway collar allows them to escape.

I wore a regular non-safety collar. I was indoor only and lived alone. I kept making safety collars disappear so Human put a regular one on me, mol.

Emma wears a safety collar. Leroy wears a regular collar. He was either getting his mouth stuck under the safety collar or pulling it off shrug
[notify]

Egon &- Astrid

Life is made for- loving.

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 5:06pm PST 
I know how the breakaways work in theory, but in practice, the only one I ever used completely failed me =(
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 9:07pm PST 
Two of my cats wear Beastie Bands, the other two are wearing no collars right now because the collars kept rubbing the fur off their necks. I've tried a lot of different types with the same result. I am waiting for a leather collar a friend is sending me to try to see if it will not rub their fur off.
My senior cat no longer wears a collar because she hardly moves anyway so there's no chance of her escaping.

They're all also microchipped.
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 6:57am PST 
None of my cats wear collars. When we travel, they wear dog harnesses that go around the shoulders, not around the neck. I have a friend whose cat got hung up on a rabbit hutch and hanged itself; I would never put a collar on a cat - only harnesses.
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 8:16am PST 
None of the breakaway collars at petsmart worked for us. They broke away too easily and the cats could get out of them easily. We experimented with ones on the internet and found beastie bands to be the best with tuff lock being a close second. You are right that the ID would be lost if the collar came off outdoors but at least the cat would be safe. We have microchips as backups. (And our cats are 100% indoors.)
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 6:19am PST 
Houdini over here aka Hunter, has managed to get out of 2 breakaway collars. He hated the fact that his tags would cling and clang around the house. Can't tell you how many times I would find his collars laying on the floor. So I got him a beastie band with a boomerang tag. It's a tag that is flush against the collar. The collar is stretchy so it can stretch over his head and it's velcro. It's been months and it's still on!!! He is still as silent as ever when he stalks the dog, which he enjoys. The collar does not rub his fur off.

My angel Hanna had a leather collar, and she had a bald spot from it rubbing the fur off.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 9:29am PST 
No collars here, but no one goes outside. We do all have microchips for the just in case possiblility one of us ever got outside.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 2:46pm PST 
I never collar my cats. I'm too afraid of them getting caught on something while I am not home.
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 6:17pm PST 
Hey Hunter have you tried a nameplate type tag? I usually don't use hanging tags for my cats because they are more likely to get them caught somewhere(plus they end up trying to chew them when grooming themselves). I use Collartags from Boomerang Tags which are like a nameplate that slides onto the collar so there is nothing dangling.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2