GO!

Cat deprived -what to do

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kessie

Ooh where are we- going now?

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 6:14pm PST 
Hello,

And Kessie says Meow!

Emily my human has to say:
I am a university/teacher's college student who has been away from home the last 4.5 years. My two kitties live 5 hours away with my parents.

In the last few months I have been interested in adopting a cat. Several possibilities have feel through due to whiney roommate.

I have the opportunity to adopt the kitten of a cat I met and adored (and almost adopted about 2 months ago).
My questions is, this kitten has no siblings- was the only survivor of a small litter. Should I adopt a second kitten with her? If so... how to choose? (They are rescues and I would be adopting from a rescue organization
[notify]

Kessie

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 10:09pm PST 
Edited to add- my original plan was to adopt 1 adult cat.
The kitten in question is 7 months old if that helps...
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:06am PST 
I've read that two cats are often easier than one, and that has definitely been my experience. Since Randy came along, he and Ralphie keep each other entertained and well-exercised, and they each seem to enjoy having a cat companion.

You need to make sure that you have the financial ability to care for two cats. You'll have twice the cost in food, litter, vet bills, etc. You also need to make sure you have the space to be comfortable with two cats, and that you have the time to devote to each of them. Make sure that you really want a second kitten, too.

As far as choosing, the shelter can help you with finding another kitten that is likely to be compatible with the sole-survivor kitten. Maybe she's made a particular friend or friends at the shelter, and the people there can let you know if any bonds have already developed with other cats or kittens.

I'm not sure what you mean about your "whiny roommate" and that concerns me a bit. If you live with someone who is opposed to living with a cat, then it may easily turn into a very bad situation. I wouldn't recommend that you adopt any cats at all unless the humans who live with you are comfortable with the idea and will welcome the addition of cats to the household.
[notify]

George,- Mary & Willy- Darcy

In Residence at- Pemberly

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 12:08pm PST 
We agree with Randy and Ralphie.....check with the rescue organization, they know the cats they have and how the would adapt to a 7 month old kitten, etc. It is fun to watch two cats play and chase each other all over.

Also....what EXACTLY is the problem with the "whiney roomate"??? We don't want you to get another cat and this person can't stand two cats.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Kessie

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 1:16pm PST 
The roommate sees me having a cat as THEIR responsibility. And no matter how much we discuss it comes back to roommate not wanting responsibility of pet ownership... No matter how much I explain that the cat would be completely mine, and I would be solely responsible for their support and care...

I am more willing to push for it now (after having missed out on several other cats while trying to gently prod roommate into realization that my cat would be solely mine).

Edited by author Fri Feb 17, '12 1:18pm PST

[notify]

Eko

Mr. Eko - dark, but- good-hearted

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 3:58pm PST 
Eko here had a littermate returned because the owner had roommate problems. It's sad for a cat to live with someone who doesn't like them, even if that is not the person responsible for them. It could be a bad situation. Could you get a new roommate and then cats?
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 4:44pm PST 
I'm seeing red flags with the roommate situation. Your roommate has valid concerns regarding her role in the responsibility for the cat/cats. When a cat is brought into a home, it becomes the responsibility of everyone who lives there. You may be the one to provide the basic needs of the cat and to care for him/them financially, but your roommate will inherently have some responsibility as well.

What if your roommate is home alone with the cat, and the cat has an accident on the floor? Should your roommate be expected to leave it there for you to clean up, or would she clean it up herself? There's a responsibility that she must assume that she doesn't want. What if your roommate makes a cup of tea and your cat jumps onto the hot burner when she's not looking? Should she ignore a potential injury, or rush him to the emergency vet? You might be willing to pay for the vet visit, but how will the cat get there? Same with a sudden-onset illness witnessed by your roommate. Again, responsibilities that she doesn't want and to which she is objecting.

There are also the minor responsibilities of living with a cat, such as keeping dangerous items put away, and cleaning more often. Cat fur, dander, and litter dust don't confine themselves to the primary caretaker of the cat. There is also the potential noise factor if the cat is vocal or especially active.

I agree with Eko that you would be wise to find a pet-friendly roommate before you adopt a cat. Not only is it unfair to the cat to be brought into a home where he is not fully wanted or accepted, but it's unfair to the roommate as well. Not every person wants to live with pets, and that's okay. If your roommate pays her share of the rent, she deserves to be comfortable in her own home. Your desire for a cat is no more important than her desire to live without one.
[notify]

Kessie

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 5:21pm PST 
Very true. I may just have to wait and miss out on another cat.

But roommate (he by the way) will not let me move out. I have offered several times over an unrelated issue.
And the weirdest part? His roommate for next year has a cat that he will be bringing with him... So it's like only I can't have one... it's really weird.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Feb 17, '12 8:14pm PST 
So your roommate won't let you break your lease, despite a less-than-ideal living situation for both of you? And he's fine with a future roommate bringing a cat? He sounds like a control freak, and a jerk! Sadly, that's all the more reason not to bring a cat into your current home. You don't want him to exert his control issues over a helpless cat, if he's the type to do such a thing.

I hope you are able to find more suitable living arrangements in the near future, and that you can find a roommate that will share your love of cats. Best of luck!
[notify]

Kessie

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 11:37pm PST 
Thanks, I think I am going to keep trying to get out of my lease... and put a hold *if possible* on the 7 month old kitty...
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2