GO!

16 yr old cozmo renal failure & paralzed leg?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Sat Feb 11, '12 11:04pm PST 
Cozmos levels were to be rechecked next mth for hyperthyroidism, but I took him in 5 days ago as he started to limp. Vet said he must have torn nerves and its paralyzed. weird. He's on prednisone & thyroid meds & k/d soft food. Follow up is in a week & he is flopping around looking terrible. I just can't believe I may have to put him down because of this leg problem. I know his kidneys were just diagnosed as started to fail. He is purring when I pick him up etc but peeing at night on himself. just all around bad signs that I don't think I should be waiting to see any improvements in leg by 6 wks. anyone had similar issue? I just think the leg has something to do w the hyperthyroidism...
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 4:03am PST 
I know that there may be numbness in the paws perhaps. I don't know about the paralyzed leg. Let me research for you. My Ben had hyperthydoism and got the radiation treatment. See what the others have to say. Purrrrsss being sent your way..
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 4:10am PST 
You are right....Don't sit around and wait for improvement. I would bring Cozmo to an emergency cat hospital for a check up on his heart. It could be heart related and time is very important. From what I read, it can be treated even it is done early. They said that heart problems may be related to hyperthyroidism.
It is treatable not curable but I read that cats can live with it for years. There may be a clot involved....I would go very soon......today....
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 6:24am PST 
how is Cozmo today?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 6:40am PST 
Front leg or back leg? Limping or dragging the leg? If he is dragging a back leg, it may be an indication, he has thrown a clot. Like Alexander said, it might be heart related, I don't know anything about hyperthyroidism. Their main artery, per say, is just like ours, at the base of the leg, it splits. If he has heart issues, I can help, its not a death sentence, its very manageable. I would at least call the ER vet, and describe what is going on. Please keep us posted. (((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))) waveway to gohughughughughughughughughug
[notify]

Madam(1999-2- 011)

Just call me- Madam

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:50am PST 
I did that. Had hyper T and was good for years on meds, limped a bit but that was it. Earlier last year my purrents came home to find me passed out on the floor, I woke up and was paralyzed fron neck down, next day I could move but my back legs didn't, had to have a feeding tube imlanted b/c I was awake and talked to mom, seemed in good spirits but couldn't swallow. Vet thought I had had a stroke and b/c I was improving my purrents hoped I'd recover completly. So I was at home and lots of hospice care, they love me so much. But all the same I went to the Bridge a week later.
Not saying that your situation is the same but a clot is a very realistic possibility with hyperT. Talk to your vet, yes you can recover if all is addressed earlier. I had had health problems since I was middle age so that made it worse. I was 11. Good luck!
[notify]

Madam(1999-2- 011)

Just call me- Madam

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:51am PST 
Forgot to add I had been dx with CRF a couple of months before
[notify]

Purred: Sun Feb 12, '12 10:17am PST 
Yeah his Vet did check for the blood clot. Came up negative so the Vet said he must have caught his leg somewhere. His paw still has feeling so I am pretty confused on what to do. He did flop outside to go pee so that is good. Otherwise not sure..frown thx for the responsesmile
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Feb 13, '12 8:18am PST 
I have some questions:

1) You said 'flop outside'. Is he able to balance and put any pressure on? Because I'm concerned that this sounds somewhat serious. Could the leg be broken?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

If he's an 'outdoor/indoor' cat i would highly suggest you keep him indoors. A 16 year old with these health issues is at serious risk outside the home.

Wondering...does he seem in pain?

It might be you want to check this o ut with another vet.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '12 10:04am PST 
I went to a free second opinion yesterday am to a cat hospital. This Vet gave it to me straight. She believed he may have had a tumor in spine since it appeared his other legs were started to go as well. After a teary decision I said goodbye to my beloved Cozmo of 16 years. My lil Valentine..Thank you all for your advice and support.
It happened so fast but I just hope he knew how much we loved him..

cat on moon
[notify]