GO!

How does a scanner work, for a microchip?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 3:17pm PST 
I know an organization, has to buy the scanner, and they run it across the back of the pet, similiar to your products being scanned at a grocery store, and it registeres, with the microchip #.

But what actually powers the scanner. Does it run on batteries, is it plugged in, similiar to a cell phone. Is the organization charged, each time they scan a pet.

Got into a discussion, with a co worker, who 99.9999% of the time, is right. This time I think, he is wrong. He said, the organization, is charged, each time, they scan a pet.

So, how does it actually work? waveway to gohug
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 5:28pm PST 
The scanners I've seen are battery powered (no plugs.)

Basically, the scanner sends a RF signal to the microchip, and the microchip sends back the ID number.

I do not know of any that charge for using the scanner, I don't see how they could charge? All the scanner is doing is basically "reading" the number that is on the microchip. If this is a lost pet, the person then has to look up that number to find out who the pet belongs to.
[notify]

Teya

House Panther

Purred: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:52pm PST 
Harlequin is right about how the chips work. The chip companies make their money from selling the chips not from the scans.
[notify]