GO!

Cooked chicken?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mia

You have left me- no other- choice........

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 4:23pm PST 
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, is it okay for me to eat unseasoned boiled chicken breast? Or even any other boiled meats?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 4:36pm PST 
As treats, they are ok big grin Raw meat would be better but there's nothing wrong with plain cooked meat as treats. You can even use the cooking water as a sort of gravy/broth with the meat way to go You can freeze pieces of the cooked meat with the cooking water into cubes and use those as future treats.

But if you menat as the main diet, then no. Plain meat on it's own, whether cooked or raw, is not nutritionally complete.
[notify]

Mia

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 7:35pm PST 
Thank you Merlin! Mom is a bit worried about the food that I have been eating. I really like my Kitten chow, but appartently it's not very good for me frown
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 5:33am PST 
Kitten chow really isn't very good for you Mia. Check out catinfo.org for the full story.

A little cooked chicken is fine but raw is better and Merlin is right - you need a balanced raw diet for optimum health. If this is something you're interested in doing, come on back - we're all happy to answer your questions here.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 5:35am PST 
Purina Kitten Chow is definitely a yucky food to feed silenced Look at the horrible ingredients: Poultry by-product meal, Brewers rice, Corn gluten meal, Soy flour, Animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), Fish meal, Wheat flour, Brewers dried yeast... naughty

I hope your Human will look for better foods to feed you hug A grain-free food is ideal, raw food is even better.

Edited by author Sun Jan 29, '12 5:37am PST

[notify]

Mia

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 6:41am PST 
Hi again everyone! Ok when you say raw, like actually raw raw? like go to the store buy chicken, beef etc take off wrapping and just put it in the bowl? or am I missing something? Is there certain parts that mom needs to look for? I heard mom talking to dad about maybe putting me on a combo of canned food 2 times a day and a kibble in between. I heard mom say, I wouldnt know what to buy from the store for Mia if we was to do this Raw thing!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 12:37pm PST 
Mia, unfortunately raw is a little more complicated than putting some meat from the grocery store into a bowl. If you look at that website catinfo.org you'll see. So maybe raw isn't for you, but you can certainly improved your diet with some better canned foods. Alex's website has a whole page of healthy canned food: http://www.ibdkitties.net/wetfood.html

The best thing you can do is eliminate the kibble and put her on all canned.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 5:16pm PST 
Before you jump in and start making raw food, read up on it. Here are some good web sites:

http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/index.html
http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php

Plain raw meat doesn't contain all the vitamins and minerals you need.

To make homemade raw food, you need muscle meat, organs, and bone in the proper proportions. Some recipies include added vitamins and minerals. You can buy raw meat and organs and stuff from the supermarket or a good butcher shop or online at a raw pet food supply place like Hare-Today.com

Or you could do just raw meat with a pre-mix such as TC Feline or Better In the Raw. The pre-mix contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals you need.

And there's commercial raw pet foods that you can buy. Chain pet stores like Petco and PetSmart don't carry raw pet foods so look at your local small pet store or specialty pet store. Brands like Nature's Variety, Bravo, and Primal Pet are good choices. You can also buy raw food online at places like OnlyNaturalPet.com and FelinesPride.com

If you like canned food, then you can just start eating only that while your Humans read up on what a raw diet is all about smile
[notify]