GO!

Thinking about another Cat

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Hazel Basil

The most polite- cat in Germany

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 4:05am PST 
My beautiful cat Hazel seems very lonley as of late. When we adopted her she had a buddy which was her previous owners mother's cat so we couldn't adopt her too and I think Hazel misses her buddy. All of the pictures her pervious owner sent to us had her cuddles up with another cat and even a dog so we know she is used to other animals around. I'm a stay at home cat mommy so she always has someone around to love her but I kind of feel like I'm not enough for her since ya know....I'm not a cat. So my question is all the books and blogs are saying to brIng home a younger or smaller cat however, all the classifieds are showing are about 2-3 year old cats and I would hate to pass up a puurfect little angel just because they aren't kittens or below a year. Had anyone brought home an older cat to their younger cat? My Hazel is a little over a year and a half and is very tame and nice to both me and my husband. I would hate to change that with another cat but I also hate that she doesn't have a companion. Thanks and I hope you are all having a catastic new year!!!party
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 5:32am PST 
All of ours with the exception of CK came to us as adults! What a lovely person you are to consider an older cat!
The thing is, all cats-even kittens-need an adjust ment period with another cat. For instance, Smokie and Ruffy got along almost from the get go, there was no fighting.
The thing is, keep the new cat seperate for awhile from the resident cat unless your home. Let them sniff under doors and get used to having company. Spend time with both, do alot of reassuring.

Pay alot of attention to the resident cat, let them call how things go. Some people keep the new cat in the bathroom, we had a dog cage we set up for the new ones.

There are plenty of adult cats who get on with others, and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them used to each other!

Good luck!
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 5:43am PST 
Another cat sounds like a great idea. I was adopted as the first cat around here. I was also lucky enough to have the humans at home with me all day long. I was happy as an only cat, but I was even happier after my family adopted another cat (then another not too long after that.) I love having other cats around.

As long as you use an isolation room for introductions, a kitten or adult should turn out fine. The intro might go a little quicker with a kitten but you never know. Be prepared for hissing...totally normal when a cat meets a new cat. Think about your cat's personality and whether she would want a crazy playmate or someone to snuggle and look out a window with, or a little of both. We always tried to think about the personality of our new additions and how they would fit with the existing cat's personality. Good luck.
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 6:04am PST 
We agree another cat would help to keep your current cat company. There are always adult cats in shelters who need a good home. And, they staff can tell you if they are used to other cats in the home.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 1:58pm PST 
She could be a lovely fit and it sounds like she needs a good home. I tend to be very skeptical of people who are getting rid of their pets though. You never know what the real story is. I guess you could go with your gut on whether they are telling the truth. (And if they are, shame on them. Darn those cats for living so long. I guess 6 years was enough for them.)
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 3:39pm PST 
I don't think a six-year old cat would be too old for a two year old. This girl sounds like she needs a good home with people who would love and care for her. Sadly, this is not the first time I have heard this sort of story. At our local animal shelter a worker came in on Christmas morning to feed the animals, and found two beautiful collies tied to the fence. A note said "Getting our daughter a new puppy - getting rid of these dogs".

Please give her a chance - and do keep us posted as to how Farrah is fitting into your home.
[notify]

Hazel Basil

The most polite- cat in Germany

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 5:22pm PST 
Oh what a terrible story about those poor dogs! The person that is possibly giving her to me is very torn up about it. She waited a long time and has put a lot effort into finding a good home for her. I think she is trying to rescue a dog and she has seen Farrah's reaction to dogs and it would just be awful for. She would be so stressed all the time and her owner just wants to have a calm life. So there really isn't any bad in the situation because she's rescuing a dog and I'm helping by taking her cat. The circle of rescue I suppose! I am so excite to take in this little kitty! She looks just like my Hazel!!! They're twins! Well four years apart twins...once I get her I will add her to the Catster family! Thanks so much for the advise!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 12:45pm PST 
Two kitties are so much fun.
[notify]