GO!

Bald spot on back

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Precious- Kit-Kit

If it dont- crunch get it- off my food-mat

Purred: Tue Dec 20, '11 8:17pm PST 
Kit-Kit has a small (approx dime size) bald spot on her back just to the right of her spin about 2 inches up from the base of her tail... the skin is scalley and flaking... she will let me touch it... and around it... she will twitch her skin a bit she has always done that though... she had her annual shots on 12/6 in back thigh i dont remember which side... i did brush her last week and the spot was not there... my question is..... should i take her to the vet? or see if it gets better? is it dry skin? allergies? or something stress related? any advise or tips would be great ... thanks
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Wed Dec 21, '11 5:47pm PST 
That happened to me when Meowma put one of those flea products on me.
[notify]

Gus

Small but still- a tiger.

Purred: Wed Dec 21, '11 6:14pm PST 
Sounds like it might be ringworm which is a fungal infection like athlete's foot. It is contagious to other cats and humans so you should have a vet look at it.
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Thu Dec 22, '11 3:25am PST 
thank you.... mommy made me an appoint for today at 510 it was the soonest the vet could get me in... i really hope it just dry skin from the heat being on... mommy said shell get a humidifier regardless... we'll keep you posted on what the vet says ...
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:22pm PST 
Just checking back to see what your Vet had to say.
Please let us know. I sure hope it went well.
cat on moon
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 6:36pm PST 
What do you feed? Any change in foods recently? Without seeing it, sounds like a hot spot to me. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 3:30pm PST 
Hi - The medicine the Vet gave worked great... it was an anit-bacterial, anti-fungel, and steriod... topical onitment... it cleared up within the 10days on the medicine.... however...... (there is always a however) yesterday i noticed the spot coming back ... we have anothter appointment tomorrow with the vet....

I will try to get a photo up tonight

as far as changes...

~no change in food in over 18mos
~no change in litter (Short time in March we used yesterday news due a paw infection) --- I scoop her box twice a day --- siince her last "bald" spot When I'm home i clean it 3-4 times
~indoor cat
~no other cats
~i do run a humidifier - its filtered tap water
~no change in cleaning products in the house (i steam everything execpt the kitchen i use clorox anywhere on the counters)
~no change in laundry soap/dryersheets
~no change in her water (she gets filtered botteled water)
~no new animals since May 2011 - got a parakeet ...
[notify]

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 4:52pm PST 
I have experience with both ringworm and allergies.

Ringworm: Patricia had it on her face and took pills for a whole month to get rid of it. Thank God she only got it once.

Allergies: Wilbur had a lot of large bald spots by the time we got him diagnosed and put on a treatment plan. He even tried to amputate itchy toes on one foot by chewing on them. After being told frequent steroid injections cause heart, liver, and kidney failure and diabetes, I paid almost $200 to find out exactly what Wilbur was allergic to, then took him to a dermatologist to monitor lifelong customized treatment. Until he was diagnosed with kidney failure, Wilbur was ordered to only eat a skin-friendly food and take customized allergy shots every week.
[notify]

Precious- Kit-Kit

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:28pm PST 
they tested for fungus and ringworm... and a couple other parasites last month... all came back negative... i figured it was dry skin but it came back almost exactly a month later... got me all nervous and stressed out
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 10:04pm PST 
Precious, how did they test for ringworm? The only accurate way to test is through a fungal culture. The results take 10-14 days. If they used only a blacklight to test, that is not a reliable ringworm test as not all ringworm glows. If they did not do a fungal culture, definitely ask for one this time, just to make sure. Ringworm can be difficult to get rid of and you want to make absolutely sure that it's not ringworm before treating as an allergy.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2