GO!

Flax Seed Oil Question

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

moose

moo moo

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 9:16am PST 
Can someone tell me if it is ok to rub some flax seed oil on my cat's skin ? She has some really bad dryness and what looks like dandruff. I have read that it is ok to add a few drops to their food, if this is ok, is there a better way, on the skin on on their food ? shrug

thanks for any help.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 10:59am PST 
Flax seed is fine. It's not toxic but it's actually useless in food. They can't process it and it never gets absorbed into their system so there's no point. Flax seed isn't a healing agent for dryness and wounds though. Try using pure, clear aloe vera. NO dyes, fragrance or anything. just pure 100% aloe vera. big grin Dry skin can be caused by diet also. Does she have any moisture in her food? What are you feeding?
[notify]

moose

moo moo

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 12:49pm PST 
hello and thank you for the reply. i have been giving the cats dry food, it's out in the container that drops some when they eat. I think I have meow mix indoor formula. maybe once or twice a week I give moose a package of meow mix or friskies wet food. i try not to let molly have too much because she always seems to throw it up. my boyfriend thinks she eats it too fast.

i will not put the flax oil in her food then. what about fish oil ? and what is better, in her food or rub it on her ? i will try the aloe vera tonight. cat on moon
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 2:10pm PST 
Fish oil is fine but not in her dry food at all! You're risking the food becoming rancid and developing salmonella. Does she eat all dry food? She should have wet food because dry is very over processed and has no moisture in it. Besides all of those grains and fillers in the food are horrendous and cause allergies all the time in kitties. If you can dry a nice grain free wet food or at the very least a grain free dry food, that would be much better. You have to go where the source of the problem is and fish oil isn't going to do much if her diet doesn't improve.
[notify]

moose

moo moo

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 2:37pm PST 
what do you suggest ? what and how often do you feed your cat ?
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 2:57pm PST 
Well it depends on your budget. I have two cats and both of them are large cats. Finnegan is a Maine Coon so they need to eat more. I have a list of grain free foods on my website: http://ibdkitties.net/wetfood.html. You can check them out, see which ones are in your price range and available near you at all. If she doesn't like wet at first try feeding grain free dry for one meal and wet for the rest. http://ibdkitties.net/Dryfood.html. Then slowly switch completely over to wet. You really will see a big difference, I promise you. ONLY the flavors I have listed are grain free.

Mine eat several different ones. Soulistic, Petguard, Nature's Variety. Start with one and see how she does first. Don't want to cause a tummy upset. big grin
[notify]

moose

moo moo

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 3:40pm PST 
Thank you so much, I will try your suggestions ! cheer
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 4:42pm PST 
Sure thing Moose and thanks for friending us. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask okay? We love helping kitties be the healthiest and happiest they can be! flowers
[notify]

Soda

Be Smart, Spay &- Neuter!

Purred: Sun Dec 18, '11 5:42pm PST 
A teaspoon of salmon oil a day is good for the skin and coat. Some cats apparently don't like it but all the cats in our household love it.
[notify]