GO!

Fresh Pet Select

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bubbles

A cat who acts- like a dog

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '11 11:33pm PST 
I wanted to give Bubbles a healthy meal that is not only good for maintaining a healthy weight and healthy teeth/gums, but food that also isn't full of preservatives but is still easily available at the local store and gives her the proper nutrition that she needs.

Is Fresh Pet Select Foods a good option for this, or are there any other brands that would be better for all this?

Edited by author Sun Sep 4, '11 11:34pm PST

[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '11 11:38pm PST 
Also, my cat is a Bengal mix, and they tend to have upset stomachs. I don't want to feed her raw meat, due to parasitic risk.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Sep 5, '11 4:35am PST 
The parasitic risk from raw food is really minimal. You may want to do some more research on it because that really is the ultimate cat food. I can't find the Fresh Select ingredient list but in the commercial it's full of vegetables, isn't it? And the info I see on the website is talking about wholesome grains. These ingredients are useless to cats, and in fact can be harmful. Without the ingredient list it's hard to tell how bad it is compared to other foods. Do you have a label?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Sep 5, '11 5:28am PST 
Here's the web site: http://freshpet.com/

The ingredient lists is there, BK.

Chicken & Shrimp Recipe in Sauce
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Shrimp, Natural Flavors, Carrots, Guar Gum, Spinach.

Turkey & Liver Recipe in Sauce
Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Natural Flavors, Carrots, Guar Gum, Spinach, Sodium Alginate.

Ocean Whitefish & Salmon Recipe in Sauce
Fish Broth, Ocean Whitefish, Salmon, Chicken, Natural Flavors, Carrots, Guar Gum, Carrageenan.

All contain vitamins and minerals.

It looks like a decent food. Selection at the store may vary, if you can find any at all. The supermarkets here don't carry FreshPet even though the FreshPet website says they do shrug

How about food from a pet store? You can get some good quality foods there. Petco sells Wellness which is pretty high quality stuff. They also have Soulistic which is the inexpensive version of Weruva.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Sep 5, '11 5:47am PST 
Thanks Merlin! Geez, how'd I miss that? OK, except for the carrots that doesn't look so bad. And even carrots are far down on the list. Not bad at all.
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Wed Sep 7, '11 10:59pm PST 
i have seen fresh pet select the pet supplies plus near me sells it. so maybe u can try going to pet supplies plus if u have near you. although the one near me markets it for dogs. cant comment on wether the cats liked or not cause never tried it.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 6:10am PST 
My only concern is the spinach. I just saw a thread in the Cat Health forum that spinach can cause oxylate crystals, so it can cause problems, esp. in kitties with urinary issues.

Edited by author Thu Sep 8, '11 6:11am PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 8:41pm PST 
They sell this at the store I work at, tried it with my 2 cats and they would not touch it. It is also very expensive for what you get. My opinion I dont think it can be that "fresh" when its got such a long shelf life.,even when opened it has a 7 day life.shock
I agree with BK, why not just feed an all wet diet with different flavours and or brands, or read up more on a Raw diet. smile
The Spinach issue is scary too, but maybe since the spinach is cooked it does not have the same affect? I dont know what do you think Pookie?
[notify]

Bubbles

Purred: Fri Sep 9, '11 8:23pm PST 
Right now I feed her Purina Indoor Formula Dry Food and on very rare occasion Fancy Feast classic wet food. She will only eat the classic kind.

I thought dry food was over all better for cats teeth and gums, or is an all wet diet better?

Either way I can look into the raw meat more, since most Bengal owners use that anyhow. I don't mind spending extra money for my cats health, although being a vegetarian myself it does make it harder to think of feeding my girl raw meat eek
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Sep 10, '11 5:35am PST 
Canned food is definitely better way to go See Http://www.catinfo.org Raw food is good, too.

Dry food can cause all sorts of health problems later in life. You might be fine now but once you get to be a senior cat, health issues like diabetes may show up confused No food keeps teeth clean. Only regular toothbrushing will. Humans don't eat hard pretzles to keep their teeth clean shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2