GO!

How can I convince them?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Jasmine

Mama Kitty

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 12:32pm PST 
Ok, well I volunteer at my local Humane Society, and they have this cat, he has been there for, oh I would say 7 months maybe, he was a very healthy cat when he first came in, but when I went to visit him the other day he had discharge coming out of his nose and eyes, he was sneezing and the discharge was caked around his nose. He looks so bad, but he is so sweet. My family and I have fostered a cat and her kittens before, and I would really like to foster this sick cat ( I have a room that I use to keep my fosters in, away from all of my other kitties) and I was thinking we could maybe foster him and get him treated and better and just, well, happy again. My shelter is very busy and they apparently don't have the time to treat a sick cat. The only hitch is that my parents are not big on the whole fostering idea, especially since the cat is sick. I was wondering first, if maybe fostering would be a good idea, and second, if you think it is a good idea how to convince my parents to help him out. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 1:34pm PST 
It sounds like an upper respiratory infection which just needs some time to resolve. He'll do SO much better with you!! These can settle into a chronic condition that causes tearing from the eyes and the resultant tear stains. That would be bad enough to prevent an adoption, because he wouldn't look "well", even though he would be.
So it would be better to be fostered, resolve the "cold", and try to prevent the chronic tears, and it probably wouldn't take all that long. Hope it all works out for him!! Luv, Tinkkitty
[notify]

Miss- Elizabeth- Bennett

Looking for Mr.- Darcy

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 1:54pm PST 
Yes, getting this cat out of the rescue, and getting some Clavamox from a vet would work wonders!!! As Tink said, some time and attention would mean the world to getting this cat better.

Bless you for wanting to help this cat and keep us posted.

The New Orleans Kittiesapplause
[notify]

Jasmine

Mama Kitty

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 2:22pm PST 
Ok, so fostering is definitely a good idea, can you guys give me some ideas on how to convince my parents into letting me do it?
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 2:43pm PST 
The biggest point to me is that it would greatly increase his adoptability. Also, that it shouldn't take all that long. The benefit really outweighs the inconvenience in his case!!
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:10pm PST 
Oh, and if he's in a different room, your cats should not catch it if you wash hands after feeding him. Just like a human cold, it would be spread by your hands. Normal precautions can totally prevent it.
[notify]

Shortcake

I found my- Furever home!!!

Purred: Thu Aug 18, '11 6:23pm PST 
Maybe the vet your family goes to can talk to your folks and put their minds to rest. Also, if your parents are cat lovers too, take a picture of the kitty and show them...who could resist that?? What a kind and generous person you are for wanting to help this kitty! Bless you and GOOD LUCK!! flowers
[notify]