GO!

Was this an indicator?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:31pm PST 
With all of the issues that Sophie has went through with the struvite stone, I am now wondering if her strong, ammonia-like urine for the past couple of months should have been an indicator to me that something wasn't right. I mean, her urine was so strong that I often commented to my husband about the fact that I had never smelled such a strong urine odor in a cat. When I ask the vet this question, he just said, "possibly", but other than knowing the stone type, he didn't know what her urine ph was. I assume just knowing that it was a struvite was enough to determine that it was alkaline. Any one else have an issue with urine odor and stones? thinking
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:41pm PST 
I don't know for sure, Sophie, but I will say that any time you notice anything out of the ordinary, it's wise to take notice. What the very strong urine smell says to me is that her urine was too concentrated, which would mean she was not getting enough moisture and that is a causal link for those crystals to form. What was she eating?
[notify]

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:57pm PST 
^^ She was eating some canned, but she mostly liked her dry California naturals chicken and brown rice. Since this ordeal with the stone surgery, she is on all canned food, although it is a little tougher to get her to eat a high quality variety. She is eating the fancy feast classic varieties mostly, but I am trying to get her to switch to Wellness chicken and turkey with gravies and also holistic select chicken and lamb which is formulated to decrease urinary ph. I do worry about the ph of the fancy feast varieties since the vet thinks it is specifically a ph factor. Since the dry kibble has been omitted though, her urine has not had the "strong" odor about it. That could just be because the stone is gone and the bladder is no longer irritated. I just want to make sure this never happens again, but I don't want to feed her the c/d that the vet recommended. Thanks for your reply! wave
[notify]

Spencer

Love your cats?- Then neuter- them!

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:07am PST 
I haven't had these problems but I would think that urine which was more concentrated and therefore more likely to form crystals or stones, would have a stronger smell. I think opinion nowadays is that the amount of water turnover is one of the most important factors in preventing urinary problems and keeping urine more dilute by eating wet food is one of the best ways to prevent bladder crystals, stones or 'sludge'.
Urine from a cat who eats a wet diet is bound to be more dilute than that of a cat on a mainly dry diet, so I would imagine that's why it doesn't smell strongly.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 12:28pm PST 
You're welcome, Sophie! I hope now that she is on all wet foods you won't have additional problems. I know it can sometimes be a battle to get them to eat the better foods, but all you can do is keep trying!
[notify]