GO!

Grain free kibble low on potato

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 8:11am PST 
Ok don't know if this is even possible but dose anyone know of a good grain free kibble that is low or no potato? I'm trying to get my guys on as little starch as possible but it seems most grain free has potato in it. Any suggestions? There currently getting wet along with dry cant currently think of the name of the dry its a grain free orange bag Ill go look for the bag. They get home cooked also we are on a tight budget so not sure about goin to full wet/home cooked. They seem to always be hungry and buggin me for food its driving me nuts.
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 8:46am PST 
May I ask why you're trying to limit their starch? Potatoes, from what I've read, are high in potassium (an extremely important dietary element), Vitamin B, and iron. Most of this is found in the skin, though, so if the skin is not included, most of those are lost. Cats (and humans) need carbohydrates, I believe. I'm feeding mine Taste of the Wild dry, and they clean it up. It has both potatoes and sweet potatoes. Since your research finds that all grain-free dry contains potatoes, it must be necessary in some way. Possibly dry food can't be made without carbs??
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 9:19am PST 
I think most, if not all, grain-free dry foods contain some amount of potato. Is there a reason why you don't want to feed potato? It's really not a bad ingredient.

The one grain and potato (and veggie) free food I know of is ZiwiPeak It's an air-dried food that has a sort of jerky-like texture. But it's very expensive shrug It only comes in a 14 ounce bag and costs about $15.
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 9:53am PST 
Natures Variety instinct all grain free flavors contain no potato at all.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 10:53am PST 
Yeah, it's basically impossible to make dry food without some type of starch as a binder. Grain free doesn't mean carb free in the case of pretty much any dry food I can think of. Still, if I had to make the choice, I'd rather feed potato or some other starch than a grain.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 10:56am PST 
Oh, I thought NV Instinct had potato in it. My bad red face

I checked and Innova EVO is another potato and grain-free food.

Some brands may have tapioca instead of potato as the starch.
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 11:31am PST 
potato starch has carbs in it. potato bread is made out of potato flour or starch. so u might wanna skip the starch.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 11:40am PST 
Almo nature does not have potato. Unfortunately the grain free variety foods usually contain potato. This concerns me as it does raise a cats glycemic index.
[notify]

Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 2:06pm PST 
I was concerned with the the glycimic issue. They are o Earthborn Holistics and just seem to always be hungry. They get wet food in the morning and at night small amounts that or home cooked. I used to feed Evo but will not feed that due to it being owned by proctor and gamble. Anybody else feed earthborn and have opinions on it?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 15, '11 2:59pm PST 
Grim, you're right to be concerned about the carb issue. Unfortunately, to get that kibble shape and texture it pretty much requires some kind of starch. Everyone probably knows what I'm going to say next - if there's any way to skip the kibble completely you'd be better off, if you're concerned about blood sugar.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3