GO!

Recommendations for automatic litter box??

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Smokey

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:32am PST 
I've been looking online some time now for an automatic litter box. I have 3 kitties and can't seem to keep up with them. Is there a specific brand/model that any of you prefer more than others? I don't want to spend hundreds on this, I am looking for something good but also reasonably priced.

Thanks!
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 10:55am PST 
Personally, I like the Scoop Free. It's clean. It works well. The crystal litter catridges are a bit pricey, but I like it.

However, I must say that Coopurr was so fascinated by the rake in the box -- chasing it and purposely going back in the box to set it off every twenty minutes, so that he could chase some more -- and he broke it.

So we're done with automatic litter boxes...
[notify]

Carrot

I found a home- myself

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:15pm PST 
I have a Scoop Free and I absolutely love it. I have two small dogs, so was worried about them "snacking" from the litter box. I invested in the Scoop Free to ensure that the poop was scooped up even when I wasn't home and kept protected from the dogs. I got a Forever Permanent Litter Tray and fill it with crystal litter. That way, it is MUCH cheaper. No cartridges to buy. However, I don't think that the Forever Tray guy makes them any more due to a stupid patent battle with the Scoop Free company. You may be able to find one on Ebay though. I have not had a problem with it. It does what it says that it does. However, I would never let the poop just sit there for a month like the packaging says you can. I scoop out the poop trap every evening or so. The only issue is that I think it may be cost prohibitive for someone with multiple cats. I think that you would go through too much litter a month. Best of luck.

Oh and Carrot likes to watch the rake too. He will run from the other room to sit on the side of the litter box to watch the "floor show" whenever it scoops itself. lol It is hilarious!

Edited by author Fri Feb 25, '11 7:17pm PST

[notify]

Carrot

I found a home- myself

Purred: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:19pm PST 
This site helped me a lot when I was researching automatic litter boxes:
Litter Box Central
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Feb 26, '11 4:50pm PST 
I read the reviews on the Litter Robot and they were really good. The ones for the Cat Genie were pretty bad.
[notify]

Smokey

Purred: Fri Mar 4, '11 8:29am PST 
Thank you all, I will look into it smile
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 3:07pm PST 
Aren't there those kinds where they have a censor that detects when your cat is entering and exiting the litterbox, and after the cat does its business, there's a bag attached to the box that the clumps go into.
[notify]