GO!

Raised on prey but now being picky!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Aura

I'm a delicate- flower!

Purred: Wed Feb 23, '11 8:41am PST 
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who feeds prey or chunks. What do you do when they stop eating something?

Aura is driving me nuts. She was raised on whole mice, quail, and chicks from the time she was 1 month old. Now she is 1 1/2 years old and I can't get her to eat her prey. I'm so worried about her teeth.

First she decided she didn't want chicks anymore. Now she won't eat her mice. I have to offer her a new canned food every day and 1/2 the time she won't eat it and it goes to waste. I have an entire deep freezer filled with whole prey. Hundreds of dollars to waste.

I'm so concerned about her teeth health now.
[notify]

Aura

I'm a delicate- flower!

Purred: Wed Feb 23, '11 8:44am PST 
Also want to add I tried giving her chunks last night. I came home with raw fish, chicken gizzards and hearts. She had half a heart and that was all she wanted. Back to canned food (sigh).
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Feb 23, '11 10:07am PST 
is she ok? she's eating the canned food you said right?

my two started that nonsense but it was because I was feeding chicken nonstop I had to switch it up. I also put their food in a baggie and put some parmesan cheese in it and shake up the baggie. I was cheating a bit and putting Fancy Feast gravy on the raw food too. I only did that for a day before I went to the cheese. They are kittens though.

take her to the vet for a checkup to see if her teeth are ok. That would be my first wonder if she has been eating raw this entire time and all of a sudden refuses all of it. She probably knows her limits and says "I can't eat that because __fill in the blank__" but if she can eat the canned stuff you can deduce that it may be a problem with her chompers.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 12:18am PST 
I agree with P & T. Could be a dental problem there. Yeah, eating prey is good for kitties' teeth, but just because they don't eat prey doesn't mean their teeth are going to rot out immediately, either. I had a moggy pair who lived to be 15 and 18 on Science Diet (yeah, I know), and both had ALL their teeth when they died (the Japanese cremation technique burns the body but leaves the bones, and the teeth were all laid out, clean and in the proper order, when the cremains came out of the oven). Yeah, good genes and all that, but you can't necessarily say that a cat who doesn't eat prey is going to get bad teeth. What you CAN say is that it's possible that your kitty already has bad teeth. Dentist time!
[notify]

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 4:03am PST 
Hi Aura's mom! Are you very concerned about her teeth now because you are afraid they will become diseased if she's eating the canned or because you think they might be the reason that she's not eating her prey? Just trying to clarify.smile

Chaucer is my guy who eats whole prey, but he also eats chunks of meat, ground raw, and canned. I put him on whole prey quail because he had an incident (wow like 7 months ago now) where he appeared to get a bone from an rmb stuck somewhere in his mouth. I couldn't find it, but he got it out himself eventually. From that time on I find it very hard to get him to eat any rmb's except the smallest of rabbit or game hen ribs.

So far, he has never refused to eat his quail, but I usually have to fling one across the kitchen a bunch of times before he'll settle down and just eat the thing; after all, he has to make the kill firstwink. This does however, involve a lot of cleaning up afterwards, but you could try making the prey more fun for her that way?

There is also ground raw (meat/bones/organs). I buy from hare-today and there is nothing added to the mix like veggies or extra taurine, it's just the animal. This is really convenient for getting bones into Chaucer, but of course, it's not going to help clean teeth either. Chaucer has red gums, even though his teeth are perfect, so I brush them gently with a finger brush.

I know you tried raw fish and chicken gizzards & hearts and she didn't like them, but how about something like beef or lamb? My cats way prefer those to any chicken part ever created, but all cats are different.

Please let us know what's happening!!

Purrs,
Chaucer & his mom
[notify]

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 4:05am PST 
Also, have you ever tried a guinea pig or a rat or a baby rabbit? Maybe she just wants a change, or would prefer something larger than what she's been eating?
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 8:09am PST 
YOU FED SCIENCE DIET?!!!.

Wait. Everybody slow down the thread and stare at the science diet feeder wink

Oooh Catstah
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 24, '11 12:54pm PST 
Science Diet was considered trendy in those days. Previous to that, Japanese cats had eaten rice with leftovers (miso soup, katsuo bushi flakes, vegetables, maybe some fish) poured on top. Remember, this was the era when there was no Internet, no Catster, no raw advocates (except maybe butchers, who probably threw scraps to their pets), no vet information. They WOULD have lived longer, except that while my vet kept giving them blood panels and we knew that they had kidney problems (yes, could have been the SD, but I haven't seen any data that shows that no cat who eats raw or canned never gets kidney problems), he never suggested any form of treatment. He did give the boy Chinese herbal medicine (which is regulated by the government here, and available only by prescription) for his liver, but that was it. I was ignorant. They were my first cats. I still go to that vet occasionally, because he has a good bedside manner and he's been in business so long that he knows a lot just through experience. And of all my vets, he's the only one who really knows about feline pregnancy and kittening, as he also works in cat rescue. My regular vet is more scientific, but is still young, and hasn't had as much practical experience. I must say, though, that although my cats could have lived longer with a better diet and more aggressive medical care, they showed no signs of illness until a few days before they went. It was a merciful death, for them and me (kidney failure is like pulling an electrical cord out of a socket--electrolyte disturbances cause the heart to stop instantly), and they both died naturally in their sleep.

As for throwing a quail across the floor to engage Kitty's prey instinct--must say that I admire that, although with my back and hips being the way they are, I wouldn't want to clean up afterwards. Maybe if I had a housekeeper...
[notify]