GO!

In the next few years...

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sylvester- Leroy

Rub my bell- please?

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 1:34pm PST 
Well as you can guess in the next few years I am interested in adding to my cat family. I currently have 4 male cats in our household. I and my fiance plan on moving into a house in the next couple years. By that time we will only have two cats, because Bella and Eminem our my aunts cats and we are keeping them until she can find a place that allows cats. Which is sad because I have grown greatly attatched to Bella.

But anywho we are interested in getting a kitten we arn't opposed to adopting because well all of the animals at home here are adopted even Cookie our bird. But we would be more so interested in a purebreed. wink We have looked at several breeds of cats such as Ragdolls, Maine Coon, Siamese, Spynx, Bengals. But we'd like to hear what other cat owners have to say.

Here is a little bit of what our household will be in a few years.

-2 cats, both males one Ragdoll, and Maincoon (Neutered)
- 1 dog( Pit Bull/ GSD mix:

-1 bird

So basically the cat would need to be good with other animals.

We are interested in possibley adding a new member to the family smile but that would be after we purchase the cat.

We are looking for cat that is more on the snuggly side. One that will be a little cuddle bug.

We arn't picky on coat length offcourse, don't mind grooming.

As far as price goes I know some cat breeds can be more rarer and therefore more pricey. We are not worried about price, we are willing to pay any amount for the cat.

We are a working couple so the cat would have to be capable of spending some time with other cats and a dog.

Let me know if you guys need anymore information
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 3:09pm PST 
Well, this subject when it comes up, usually generates a pretty good discussion, mol, and you will get a wide variety of thoughts, suggestions and opinions. big grin

First, here is the CFA site for breeds, you can read all about the breeds you are interested in. wave

http://www.cfainc.org/client/breeds.aspx

Each breed has their own characteristics, which they tend towards, altho not every single cat of that breed, will be exactly like that.

Spynx's I don't know much about, they are hairless, altho they do have a peach fuzz like feel, so you would have to take extra precautions, that they are warm enough. I really only came across one at shows, she benched next to me alot, and she wasn't on the overly friendly side, but that just may have been her, she didn't seem to take to the show atmosphere, so it may just have been her temperment.

Bengals are not even allowed in the CFA show hall, as they are too close to their wild ancesters, think its only like 3 generations removed, forget exactly now. They do allow them in TICA, and those guys I have seen many times. They are loud, their cry does sound more like a wild cat, than a meow, they are very very very active, and they can be agressive to other pets. One of my friends has one, he is aggressive to the other kitties. But again, this is not to say, each and every Bengal is like that. Think of it as, if one is a scoccer mom, and is looking for a minivan, she wouldn't buy a ferrari.

Maine Coons and Ragdolls are very dog like. They have thick long fur, that requires daily grooming, to avoid matts, and they need the occassional bath, as Maine Coons tend towards greasy fur, so you would have to train the kitten to have a bath and blow dry. They like to be where you are, they follow you around like a dog, and altho they are very laid back, and very friendly, are not know to be lap cats. Ragdolls will even fetch. I never taught them this, Bump and Cruiser just do it. They even bring their toys to me to throw, just like a dog would.

Show prices I could tell you ballpark, but since you are not showing, breeders also have what is called pet quality. That just means, that the kitten does not have the confirmation requirements, or personality, to compete in shows. They are still breed kittens, and still eligable for registration, depending on if they have any qualities that prevent them from being registered. But they are at a much lower price, than the show kittens would be.

You want a breeder where the kittens have been raised around other pets and dogs, mine were, nothing at all phases them. Their breeder had other cats, dogs, kids, horses, and the household was sometimes pretty hectic. Thats what your looking for. Be honost, tell the breeder you have other cats and a dog, and the household can sometimes get chaotic. They will tell you, if they feel the kittens would be a good fit or not.

You want to buy from a responsible and reputable breeder. Look on the CFA Cattery of Excellence list, and also check the CFA Suspension List. Go to a few shows, and talk to the breeders. Most are very friendly, will let you handle the kittens, with the request you use hand sanatizer, and are very happy to ans your questions. Unless they are getting ready to go into a ring, or are waiting for a Final. Then they are a little harried, per say, and will just ask you to come back later. Don't take offense, they are there to show, and can sometimes get very busy, just come back later, when they are done with that ring, or go and watch that ring, you just can't talk to them, while the cat is in the ring.

You will get some great thoughts, suggestions and opinions from the others too, this always generates a great discussion. Best of luck, whichever breed you decide on. way to goway to goway to goway to goway to gowavewave
[notify]

Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 3:21pm PST 
Once you've decided what type of cat you want you should check out breed rescues as there are great cats there and the rescue will know how they are with other animals. You'll most likely get an adult or older kitten but if they've lived with other animals before they'll be easy to introduce into your family.
[notify]

Sylvester- Leroy

Rub my bell- please?

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 5:58pm PST 
Wow, thank you so much for the great information smile. I plan on checking out that website rigt now smile I have a feeling its gonna be hard to just pick one breed MOL laugh out loud
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 6:26pm PST 
If you don't mind me asking, why a purebred?
I have 5 cats. All of mine came to me from being found outside. Sadly, we believe that Smokieboo is a Russian blue (vet thinks so too, something about the color of his paws) and Natalie is at least part abby...if you saw her up close you'd see it, she's got that deep sienna coat...
But I digress...
Check out any shelter or rescue. Preferrably one where you will save a life. Cats are killed daily becuase there aren't enough good homes. And people turn them in for the most idiotic reasons...I worked in a no kill and I could tell you the number of times I would hear someone say 'I'm allergic' or 'the baby is allergic' or 'my boyfriend is allergic' or 'I'm moving' and it goes on and on.

I personally know 4 rescue cats right now that would fit what you're looking for, but you're not looking now....so it's a moot point. Only they aren't 'purebred'. They just happen to be lovely striped tabbies with funny pink and tan noses.

I would check out rescues and shelters....there are many cats that fit what you're looking for.

I myself have thing thing...I could never buy a cat when there are so many that need homes...not until every cat is wanted, loved and there are more good homes available than there are cats...

but seriously, check out the rescues and shelters...there are so many cats to choose from.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:01pm PST 
Cat lovers love all cats, moggy or purebred. But some people do and always will want a particular breed. Purebred cat breed rescue services combine the best of both worlds--you're saving a cat's life, and you get the breed of your choice. Unless you're someone who insists on adopting a kitten, adopting an adult is a good idea because the cat's temperament is known and already more or less fixed. The purebred cat breed rescue people I've had dealings with are passionate about their cause. There are people out there who end up abandoning purebreds, either because of economic problems, being unable to keep up with grooming, etc. The purebred breed rescue groups will vet YOU out thoroughly to make sure that you'll be a suitable owner, and will tell everything you need to know about that breed and that particular cat. And they will charge you for their services.

However, if you choose to buy from a breeder, the first thing to remember is not to rush into things. Take your time choosing the right breed. Go to cat shows. Talk to exhibitors and breeders at shows (if they're not rushing to get their cat into a judging ring, they love to talk about their breed and their cats--and if they don't, you won't want to deal with them anyway). Don't believe everything you read about breed personalities on the Internet (the CFA site, which I use almost daily, seems to describe almost every breed as affectionate and people-oriented) or on TV. I breed Maine Coons on a very small scale, and I can tell you that they all have different personalities, and are not necessarily the super-friendly cats some people make them out to be. If you want a lap cat and can honestly keep up with the grooming, a Persian might be a good choice. Exotics, who are short-haired Persians, have similar personalities, but aren't as much trouble to groom. (Unfortunately, some people will buy a Persian and find the grooming too much for them, and either leave it in an ungroomed state, or relinquish it to a shelter.) You can, however, depend on the Internet for health concerns related to individual breeds, as well as other grooming/care needs.

Then you must find a breeder. But before that, you must research HOW to find a good breeder. That in itself would take me an entire other post to address, but being able to tell a good from a bad breeder is of primary importance. If you Google "How to find a good cat breeder," you will find some good information. Then you have to find the breeder who is right for YOU. With a good breeder, the relationship often lasts for the life of the cat and beyond. If you get on well with your breeder, you may even end up buyer another cat from that cattery. Meeting breeders at cat shows is a good start. Meeting them at their cattery is also extremely important.

Go with your instincts, but educate yourself first. Cats have been living with humans for thousands of years, but while their main "job" has always been important, it is rather limited: catching vermin. Rather, humans have treasured cats for their companionship, their power to relax us, and for their beauty. If a particular breed appeals to you, do not feel guilty about that. If saving a cat's life is important to you, then you can go to a rescue service. All cats need loving homes.
[notify]

Gustav AKA- Gus

Spay or Neuter

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:48pm PST 
I don't want to interfere with breeders business but if the reason you want to purchase from a breeder is because you like that particular breed then please go to a breed rescue or even a shelter.
I do rescue and just last week we got a original Siamese you wouldn't believe! We've a Manx polydactyl and a Maine Coon without papers but as close to the 'real thing' as can be.
Please get your next kitty from a shelter or rescue, each cat in a shelter is taking space for another cat that needs it so it is imperative they are adopted out. And there are purebreeds and/or lookalikes in shelters.
[notify]

Sylvester- Leroy

Rub my bell- please?

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 9:17pm PST 
I am not opposed to adopting/rescuing as I have rescued all of my animals from our humane society. I am actually currently working at a humane society.

An to answer the question "why do you want a purbred" simply because its been a dream of mine to just atleast own one cat that is a purbred.
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 10:11pm PST 
Hi Sylvester-Leroy!

I am a European Burmese. My "brother" Rider is a Tonkinese. Mom would highly recommend both breeds. We are shorthaired breeds. Both of us are are more high energy and active breeds, but also very people orientated, friendly, and outgoing.

You've gotten some good advice already. Mom can relate to desiring a purebred (although she dearly loved her shelter cats too). Both Rider and I go to cat shows with Mom too.

- Research different breeds and decide on one or two breeds.
The CFA website is a great resource for researching breeds. There are many to choose from. Cat shows are also a great place to see a lot of different breeds and learn about them. You can check the show schedules on the CFA, ACFA, and TICA websites to see if there is a show near you. Also, be sure to describe what you are looking for in a kitten and what your family situation and home is like to the breeder. A good breeder will try to place a kitten in a home that's a good match. For example, a shy kitten may do well with a single person and perhaps another easy-going cat in a quiet and calm household. An outgoing kitten may enjoy children, other pets, and a more hectic home. Purebreds are more predictable in some respects, but personality can still vary.

- Research how to find a good breeder.
Good breeders will show their cats, even only occasionally, to make sure they are meeting the written breed standard. Good breeders will have a sales contract and offer a health guarantee. Kittens are typically sold with most of their kitten vaccines and either spayed/neutered or with a spay/neuter agreement. A good breeder will not send a kitten to their new home til they are at least 12 weeks old!

- Do not be in a rush.
Some breeds are rare. Also, it's not unusual to end up on a breeder's "waiting list." Most good breeders do like to keep their cattery numbers small to make sure the cats get the care and attention they need. Some breeders only have a few litters each year. You may need to be patient to get what you want - especially if you have your heart set on a specific gender or color. It took 6 months of searching before Mom got me - but she says I was worth the wait!

- Consider rescue, older kittens, or retired breeders too.
There are some breed rescues out there. Also sometimes common breeds like Persians and Siamese do end up in shelters. Breeders sometimes have older kittens and retired adults available too, and often at a reduced price. Mom got Rider at 7 months old. His breeder had wanted to keep him as a "stud," but didn't need another male. His breeder was happy to place him with Mom as she knew Mom would give him a good home, he'd have another young energetic cat to play with, and Mom would show him. A breeder might hang on to a kitten for breeding, but sometimes kittens do not mature as hoped and a breeder may have an older kitten who needs a home. Breeders also cannot keep all their adults, and sometimes have young adults (2-5 years old) who are retired from breeding and showing and need to find a loving pet home.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 4:15pm PST 
Since your not in a hurry to get a breed cat, I think the best thing you can do, is to go to some cat shows, and look around, and talk to the breeders. Most are very friendly and willing to talk to you and ans your questions, unless, they are getting ready for a ring, or waiting on a Final. Ring schedules are often moved around, depending on the judges, if one is running behind, or on occassion, one needs to leave early to catch a flight. Or sometimes a Final is sched for after lunch, and depending on whats going on in the other rings, might get moved up before lunch. When a kitty makes a Final, they call the cat's number, thats what they are listening for, plus with listening and keeping tract of the other 8 rings going on, it can get hectic sometimes. So just be patient, if one seems harried or in a hurry.

Spectators come up to me all the time. I always try and be very poliet to them. I just say, I am very sorry, I just got called to a ring, but I would love to talk to you, when I am done. Most are very understanding. Only get a handful, that take offense.

Always, always, always, ask, before you pet a kitty or take a picture. Never, never, never take it upon yourself, to open a cage. Was at one show, a spectator did just that, almost got bit, owner grabbed the kitty in the nick of time, the owner got bit instead, then the kitty got loose.

Another poster touched on this. If your not looking to get a kitten, they have adult kitties, that are registered show kitties, ballpark 2 yrs old, that have seen it all and done it all, and are Champions, that are then retired from the show ring. The breeder is looking for good homes for them too, as they have kittens coming up, and they can't keep them all. These kitties would already have been spayed/neutered, had their shots, and have been extensivly showed, which means they are already used to all the noise, commotion and traveling, and being handled several times a day, by different judges, as well as being used to baths, blow drying, and being groomed. You would have a registered show cat and have the same health guarantees, as you would with a kitten, and, you would already know their personality.

If, you decide on a kitten, breeders will not hand you a whole male or female, unless you are a very very knowledgeable show person, and everybody knows everybody else. They will require you to sign a contract, pay for the kitten, and you are required to have the kitten spayed/neutered. When you show proof of that, they send you the papers. Not spaying or neutering the kitten, has severe penalities, none of which, you want to mess with. They have health gurantees, which are clearly stated in the contract, so make sure you read it, and understand it, before you sign it.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5