GO!

Liquid Poo...help please!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ampersand

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 12:44pm PST 
Ampersand has had loose (and stinky) stool since we got him in August. Nothing came up on his fecal tests- so we just kinda rolled with it, because he had normal kitten energy and appetite. Round about November he and our second kitten both had diarrhea- so we took them to the vet and they both had coccidia (which we got treated) and things were good for a bit. About two weeks later Ampersand returned to having loose (and stinky) stool- so we took him back to the vet. The vet took another look at his poo and said that they couldn't see any of the standard bacteria/parasites that might be causing issues. She prescribed us a de-wormer and an antibiotic that would basically nuke any bad stuff that might be in his digestive track.

He took both medicines and after about 2-3 days of being on them, his poo was solid. Thought the issue had been solved.

Sure enough, about 5 days after he was off the medicine- loose/liquidy poo came back.

We took him in for a follow-up and the vet told us that the next step would be to do extensive blood work to make sure his pancreas was working correctly...and so on and so on. She suggested holding off on extensive testing to see if whatever is going on would work itself out...especially because whatever is going on is not affecting his mood, his eating, his energy...or much of anything at all. He's not even dehydrated from the frequent loose stool.

So I'm throwing it out to you all for advice- have you experienced anything like this before? Is there something that my husband and I can do at home to try to fix the problem? Other than this poo issue, he is a happy and healthy kitten- I just want to make sure he stays that way. He's my baby.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 1:18pm PST 
ya know what? I am right there with you. Same exact situation.
test after test normal. Not even coccidia (sp?) all my vet found was an overgrowth of healthy bacteria? Put on antibiotics of no help really with the off and on diarrhea or stinky horrible stench god help us all.

After the rundown of whats going on I have decided that it's the Evo. Evo has a dairy ingredient and my two cats being from the same litter were probably born just slightly MEGA lactose intolerant. That's all I can think of what's going on. I mean when one of them farts on me I swear it's like a skunk just came over and got angry and did his thing. So that happens and I guess kittens don't release their anal glands all of the time and that gets all backed up and then they take these atomic dumps in the litterbox and you're just left with wow...

If your kitties eat Evo then we are totally onto something. I'm actually hoping and praying they do. Then you and I can just switch up the food and we can be done with this worrying thing.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 1:48pm PST 
Oh this drives me so nuts when vets do this! The treatment was I'm sure the right one. But the problem with strong antibiotics and using them in cats in particular is that is always cleans out the good bacteria as well as the bad. Unfortunately the probiotics they give at the vet, Fortiflora is nothing but saturated animal fat!

Try this product for awhile, it works SO well. Many kitties here use it and I now keep it in my house as a staple!
http://www.heartypet.com/p-230-holistic-select-eagle-pack-t ransition.aspx. That's a good start. The food is definitely another. Keep with grain free. In the meantime before you get the product in the mail, you can try canned pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie filling but 100% pure pumpkin, preferably organic. One teaspoon in their meal 2xs a day will help dramatically. If they'll eat it. A lot of kitties love it, mine do. Some don't. You can also mix some water with it and syringe it to them just to get it under control. Better and easier than giving more medication. way to go
[notify]

Ampersand

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 2:50pm PST 
@Penn & Teller- We just switched from Purina Kitten Chow to Wellness- I'm still trying to figure out what wet food to get them...because well- Fancy Feast is not good for them to begin with. Maybe both Evo and Wellness both have a level of dairy in them...I'm not sure. But I can definitely understand when you talk about the gas...we have stinky fart blues around here.

Definitely going to friend you so that we can compare notes as we try to figure out how to make our homes stinky free.

@Alex- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pick up some pumpkin and will try to get the transition product- hopefully that will help some! On the plus side, Ampersand is super chill...so if he doesn't like the pumpkin and I get syringe it...I won't have any problems- he is the best cat in the world when it comes to liquid (whatever) from a syringe.

Any other suggestions/ideas out there?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 3:22pm PST 
That's a big plus! I hear so many kitties that are nightmares to pill or anything. I'd start with that. Maybe you switched their diets too fast. A kitten's system is very sensitive. Why not try Nature's Variety? That's got more protein in it and a higher quality of it. Also Merrick is another really good one. way to go
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 3:43pm PST 
I totally forgot about Merrick's. That is actually a wonderful food and I got the idea from Alex. It's called Before Grain and made by Merrick's and it's basically meat and water. Cats love it. I had really bad luck with it for the stink twins though. It made things so much worse for the poor lil guys. Unformed poop and stink.

If I were you I'd give Ampersand Merrick's. If it makes things worse then you know she can't have that much protein right now maybe. That's what my vet suggested before she tested the butt of one of my boys. She said kittens immature digestive tracts can't handle the big bad doses of protein in these higher end protein rich foods sometimes. I hate this trial and error stuff I feel like I'm going to make their insides implode cry
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 4:49pm PST 
Did you give them the Merrick's Before Grain stuff that's all meat? That's not the one I was referring to. I can see why that would be too much for a little one. Nope, the regular canned Merrick's like Cowboy Cookout, Turducken, the canned ones with all the different flavors. Did you try those?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 5:22pm PST 
Merrick has changed the Before Grain canned formulas. Insead of being 100% meat or fish and a supplemental only food, it is now 96% meat or fish plus vitamins and minerals and is nutrionally complete. You can still find the supplement only Before Grain cans in some stores.
[notify]

Ampersand

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 6:24pm PST 
Yeah...kinda lucked out with him and liquid meds- because most pills can be broken down. Asterisk on the other hand...woowhee do we have issues with him and med. But he'll eat anything...and I mean ANYTHING...doesn't even check to see if meds are mixed in.

I'll look into Merrick and Nature's Variety. ^_^
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 6:33pm PST 
Oh I know that Merlin. I think though that one may be a little too rich for a little baby like him. Just wondering if the regular ones would be easier on his tummy. They can try and see anyways. shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3