GO!

Won't eat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bou Haki ~- Angel~- always loved

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:18pm PST 
Hoak, my mom's cat, was recently discharged from the hospital after having been diagnosed with a severe respiratory problem - ? asthma??? no one seems to know.
His breathing is fairly normal now but he will not eat on his own.
He had an echo done - no heart disease.
My brother picked him up Sunday evening. I told him to make sure that Hoak had been eating and drinking on his own before discharge. The vet folks said that he had been, but he did not eat at all on Monday. I force-fed him yesterday and my brother force fed him this morning and again this evening.
My mom is 89 and is unable to force feed Hoak. He will drink water for her.
So far we have gotten almost a whole can of Hill's a/d into him.
I have offered Hoak warmed tuna, Hill's a/d, his usual food Friskies mixed grill, his usual dry food Science diet, and his favored treats, but he is not interested in eating.
He is on prednisone, clavamox, and Baytrel. We also have been giving him pepcid.
Any suggestions?? anyone??

Edited by author Wed Jan 12, '11 6:19pm PST

[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:27pm PST 
You should go back to the vet.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:31pm PST 
Who doesn't know? The vet or your family? What did the vet say, was wrong with him? big grin

Why is he on prednasone?

Why is he on Clavamox and Baytril? They are both antibiotics, it's usually one or the other, and Baytril is one of the stonger ones. I am not a vet or vet tech, but I never heard of being on 2 antibiotics at the same time.

Its possible, he is not feeling well and not wanting to eat, because of the meds. Who does the vet give the info to? You, your brother or your mom? If its your mom, is it possible she is not understanding, and/or not relaying the correct info to you or your brother?

I would call the vet, and get a clear understanding, of what is wrong with the kitty, and why, he is being given those meds.

Why did they do an echo? Did he have a heart murmer? An echo is not usually done, unless they detect a heart murmuer, then they would do an x-ray, to see if the heart is enlarged, if it is, then they do the echo.
Why did the vet go right to the echo first?

Has he had an x-ray or CBC and Wellness blood panel done?

Something does not tract here, either the vet does not seem to know what he/she is doing, or, someone is giving you the wrong info. Call the vet, and see what is going on.

You cannot wait, if the kitty is not eating, should not wait past not eating 2 meals. Kitty can get dehydrated very quickly. You might want to consider going to another vet. Best of luck. Please keep us updated. way to go

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:41pm PST 
What about an appetite stimulant? Can they give that to him or is his system too weak to handle that? So many meds already. Poor thing. He's got advanced lung disease right?
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:43pm PST 
My brother has been the one handling the the admission and discharge of Hoak.
He was diagnosed with severe consolidation in his lungs but the etiology was unclear.
They did the echo to see if there was any underlying/undiagnosed cardiac disease, but the echo showed that his heart had no underlying disease.
I am baffled by the 2 antibiotics also. And I did call last night to get more information, but the vet tech I spoke with was unable to give me much information.I was unsatisfied with " there is NO documentation that he ate in his record, but they don't always write it down..." But my brother was told he was eating and drinking on his own.
I will call again tomorrow after I get out of work and see if I can talk to a vet who was involved with his care.
Secondary information is so not satisfactory.

Edited by author Wed Jan 12, '11 7:00pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:49pm PST 
Yes, I'd like to know why all the meds and what they're for? Also see if you can get an appetite stimulant. He's got to eat soon. You of all people know that. (This is Purrcy's momma guys). smile
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 6:55pm PST 
The prednisone is for the whatever inflammatory process is causing his respiratory issues. I suspect that they have no idea why Hoak is having respiratory issues and they are covering all bases by giving him the antibx and the steroids. I am not uncomfortable with that. He has had blood work down, chest x-rays and the echo. He went from his regular vet to an emergency facility. We are not stinting on his care at all. Just don't know why he is not interested in eating.
He has been drinking (had approx 100cc today - mom is really encouraging him there and measuring out what she puts in front of him and measuring after), but he has absolutely no appetite - and that is my concern.
We can continue to force feed him,but for how long??
I'll get back to the vet tomorrow.He probably DOES need to go back for further evaluation..is hard because my brother and I work full-time, and my mom can no longer drive.Plus a nasty snow storm here. Will work on this tomorrow and will keep you posted
Thanks for in-put.

Edited by author Wed Jan 12, '11 7:06pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 7:00pm PST 
Well you know how inflammation of any kind can be very nauseating. Especially in the lungs I'm guessing because of him trying to breath he's maybe getting acid reflux. I still think an appetite stimulant should be tried at least but yes, I would absolutely let the vet know. He sounds like he's in bad shape. I wish we could be of more help. cry
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 7:10pm PST 
thanks Alex, will inquire about appetite stimulant tomorrow, Purrcy had a bad reaction to one not long ago, but that doesn't mean Hoak will!
Will keep you posted.
[notify]

Tiny Tot

the tinister- kitty

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 7:24pm PST 
Hi
It sounds like everyone here has lots more information than we do but I did want to say when Tiny was little he and alley both had bad respiratory issues and we were told that because they could not smell then food did not have an apeal for them, it was suggesed by a non vet friend at an animal resuce shelter (and them oked by the ver)that I set them up with a water only vaporizor and (also put them in the bathroom with me during my showers) Both of them seemed hungry and ate a little better each time after they got out of the "steam room"
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2