GO!

Neuter age

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 11:12am PST 
What is the recommended age to neuter? I hear various ages shrug The vet recommends 6 months. Other people say as young as 2 months shrug

I was neutered at 6 months and didn't have any problems. Human's kitten is 5 months old now and will be neutered next month. He is not spraying as some people said he would shrug
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 11:17am PST 
I think 5-6 months is perfect really. I was neutered at 5 1/2 months and Lacey was already spayed when she came to live with us at that age. She had just been spayed within that month so at about 5 months. I don't know about the 2 months. There isn't much statistics yet as to if that causes any problems. I'd at least wait until 4-5 months if it were me. I don't like the idea of doing that so young. Just my opinion. dancing
[notify]

BeBop

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 12:04pm PST 
We're about 3 months when we're spayed. Our foster/rescue mom would alter earlier but she's never come accross a kitten that weighed enough to have surgery as a baby(she does strays & ferals so little chance).
If the vet does early s&n she'll tell you if the kitten is healthy enough to have surgery. Some vets don't want to do it until they are six mos. Before us our foster mom had a boy and his 2 sisters, one of the girls went in heat at 4 mos, f mom though she(girl) was just more talkative & hyper but vet told her she was in heatshock..soo now she keeps a closer eye and alters earlier.
Besides we recover much faster being younger.

Edited by author Tue Jan 11, '11 12:07pm PST

[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 12:53pm PST 
I just got done 3 weeks ago, I was 3 months old. Everything went fine!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 1:30pm PST 
Human's kitten will be neutered on Feb. 4. He has to go in for pre-surgery bloodwork stuff next week thinking
[notify]