GO!

L-Lysine

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 12:20pm PST 
L-Lysine is recommended by so many people on Catster (and their vets), but I haven't been able to find it in Japan, even online. (Even my vet hasn't heard of it.) I checked just now, and it seems that L-Lysine can either be ordered from Japanese sources or from foreign sources that ship internationally. What is the usual dosage for a cat with a non-bacterial URI? What is the dosage used to keep a cat's (big cats, by the way) immune system strong? L-Lysine supplements seem to be made for humans--is that okay? It's amazing how more and more products are becoming available here.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 12:35pm PST 
There are some here in the states made especially for kitties but if you can't find those or get them there, you can buy L-lysine at an all natural store or something. Always make sure there are NO sugars, sweeteners, soy, oils etc. in the vitamins as the tend to put those in for people but cats have a very hard time with these additives. So I would go as natural as possible. If you can find it in capsules, usually it's in a 500 mcg dose but I would give half the capsule, (approx. 250 mcgs) per day unless kitty gets sick or allergies then you can do 250 mcgs 2xs daily. If you find it in a tablet, that can be a problem because it'll have a funky taste and you'll have to break it and crush it etc. If you'd like to look on my mom's website at some of the places here you can get Lysine for kitties, we have links for them. Just to see if you can get them.
http://ibdkitties.net/Supplements.html. Scroll down to where it says Immune Support and there are some there. way to go
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 3:19pm PST 
You can get L-Lysine, in any human drugstore, in the vitamin section, yes, you can get the people kind, thats what my vet told me to do. You want the capsules, so you can break them open, and mix the powder with wet or baby food. They don't like the taste, Bump hates it, so you gotta mix in a good amount of wet, and mix it real real well. big grin

Like Lacey said, you want the high quality name brand, it should have no sugar, starch, artifical flavor, artifical colors, preservatives, corn, soy, yeast, wheat, grain, gluten, egg, or milk products, and, it should say so on the bottle.

The normal dosage depends on the cats weight and age. Adult cats over 9 lbs, 500 mgs, once a day.
Adult cats under 9 lbs, 250 mgs, once a day. Kittens, depending on their age, and you have to check with your vet, and know, why, you are giving it to a kitten, its 250 mgs, once a day.

Mine only get it when they are sick, cause, they hate it, but alot of show people give it all the time, I guess if kitty is stressed about showing, Bump and the kittens love it, which is why, they only get it when they are sick. laugh out loud

Bump acts like royality, mol, and surveys his little kingdom, and says, here I am, look at me. The kittens think they are at Disneyland, so much cool stuff to look at. laugh out loud

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 4:41pm PST 
I like the Viralys brand which is powdered, flavored for cats to like it, and comes with a little scoop for the correct dosage. If you google 'Viralys', surely some of the mail order places will ship to Japan. They have a paste as well, I don't use that. The small cannister of powder lasts a long time for one cat, but if you are going to give it to all your vcats as a precaution they do have a large size. The cannister size (small is 100g, large is 600g doesn't sound that big, but the dose is tiny.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 9:16pm PST 
Thanks for your advice, all.

Bumpurr--I live in JAPAN. We don't have L-Lysine in drugstores. If we did, I wouldn't be asking these questions. Thanks for the dosage advice!

BooBoo--thanks for finding a kitty brand that sends overseas.

I thought I'd be able to L-Lysine on Petco, which does send to Japan, but no such luck (maybe I was looking at the wrong place?).

When you give them the powder, can you sprinkle it on kibble, or can it be on wet food?
[notify]

littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 9:49pm PST 
I just wanted to say my mom got some oral paste for cats l-lysine here in the states she got it from the vet and moe, callie and I all really like it we just lick it right off mom's finger and ask for more like it was treat. For some reason Tiny and booboo do not find it tasty so mom has to put it on the roof of their mouth, ooh they don't like that either.
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 8:54am PST 
Yes you can sprinkle it on wet or dry food. If it's free of any additives, it shouldn't have any taste to it. And no, you wouldn't have found it at Petco unfortunately. You'd have to look at an all natural pet food store if you have any there. Something that sells higher end foods and more natural stuff. They may have it or they may be able to get it for you if you ask them. big grin
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 10:40am PST 
The Viralys does have a flavor--I get it from a mail order pet supply place. You can sprinkle it on or mix it into food.

This place is on ebay and shows that it ships worldwide smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder-600-gram-16228-/32 0631847761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa725bb51

They also have the paste kind in their ebay store.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 10:46am PST 
My mom gives me Lysine every once in a while. I have the same kind BooBoo does. I believe for cats older than 6 months it recommended two rounded scoops daily. Although mom only does it once a day when I have it. Mom was kind of leary about the powdert first so she was going to buy the lysine treats. Yep, they come in treat form too! But, the treat had Brewers yeast I think it was. Mom was all set with that. So she opted for the powder. Mom doesn't even really mix it in that well and I still eat my wet food. It really does help. smile
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 11:15am PST 
Right, I meant the people version doesn't have flavor but the kitty stuff does. My mom says the powder smells like feet! laugh out loud Okay with us, we like it! What does that say about our taste buds, big laugh. We've also used the paste which we like too. I think the 2xs daily recommendation is for kitties with chronic upper respiratory issues so once per day for just keeping a kitty healthy is fine. Mom steps it up to 2xs per day during allergy season when the pollen is bad and she sees us sneezing a lot. That really helps us! way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2