GO!

urinary blockage...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lexi

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 4:46pm PST 
when i got home friday night, i noticed that my 2 yr old, Lexi, was acting funny--acting like she was trying to spray without anything happening, walking funny, distressed. we brought her to the er vet in town. they thought she had a urinary obstruction and proceeded to insert a catheter. for financial reasons, we pulled that sunday morning and kept her at the er vet until monday morning, which was the earliest that i could get her to my vet for surgery. she did partially block again sunday night, but they did two withdrew urine from her bladder twice during the night because she was going to be seen soon. in the xrays, the er vets thought they saw stones, but when my vet went in to remove possible stones, he only saw sludge and a very inflamed bladder--no stones. he flushed her bladder and made sure everything that was in there is out now. of course, they gave me royal canin urinary so (i only took a case of cans). she's recovering from surgery well. she's on pain meds, clavomax, and we're mixing something into her can food to help relax her muscles along her bladder and urethra. the er vet did do a urinalysis and it came back as struvite crystals.

my only concerns: she had been eating nature's variety raw medallions for the last three months and no dry at all and she's only two. i'm a bit confused as to how this could have happened. my other cat had an episode with his bladder this summer, so i cut out their dry food and switched to either raw or grain free can. i will probably try to stick with the prescription stuff for a little while cause the ingredients are terrible, but her appetite isn't quite the usual probably due to antibiotics. i may have to try what i used to feed her.

any feedback or suggestions are definitely appreciated! thanks!
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 5:10pm PST 
I am so sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I know nothing about raw food as we have eaten the same food for over 21 years, and not one of us has ever been to the vet in 21 years for any health related problems at all. I sure hope you are able to find something that works as well for both of you! Though I have crossed over, I was the 3rd one to reach 22 years on the same food.
Meow and Furfamily! peace..
[notify]

Horus who- loves Hazel- Lucy

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 7:16pm PST 
The last time I took Horus in for his thyroid check in October, they took urine to check his kidney function, and found some struvite crystals. It was mild, and of course they recommended complete switch off dry to prescription canned. I didn't want to do that for the same reasons you mentioned, awful ingredients. A friend recommended a product for the crystals, and maybe it will help you too. Wysong makes a product called Biotic pH-, it is a powder that you add to the food that acidifies the urine. Since Horus' problem was mild, I give him a sprinkle every couple of days and he has been symptom free. I got it directly from the Wysong website.

The funny thing is that when I was looking for a way to treat the crystals without resorting to prescription food, every site I found recommended a raw diet. I wish I could get my cats on raw, I've been feeding my dog Nature's Variety patties for a couple of months now, but the cats won't touch it. Good luck with Lexi, I hope she stays healthy!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 11:04pm PST 
The problem with those medallions is that there are other ingredients in them like fruits and vegies that are cats just do not need, probably more than what you would find in a can of high protein grain free canned food. Once you have used those prescription cans up, I would switch to a high protein grain free wet food,maybe some Wellness grain free, Evo line of grain free wet foods, Weruva, Almo,,,these are a few suggestions. And yes staying on the prescription food will only cause other problems in the long run. Also maybe there is some other premade raw that you could find that does not contain fruits and vegies.
The only thing Im leary about with the supplements like the Wysong is that you are playing around with the Ph of the urine and this could cause the other crystals (oxalate) which are worse that struvite.
[notify]

Lexi

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 2:08pm PST 
thanks guys. i guess i didn't really factor in the fruits and veggies in the nature's variety. right now, the plan is to finish the case of the royal canin urinary so to make the vet happy. right now i'm mixing a bit of the nature's variety instinct canned rabbit into it to get her to eat. i think her appetite is screwy bc of the antibiotics...although so was more enthusiastic about her bfast today since she got to have free roam of the apt last night and she got to eat with my other cat instead of in the bathroom. she has to go back in like a month for a check up urinalysis and we'll see what that says. after that, we'll try to stay with the grain free canned foods. perhaps i'll take her back in like three months to get another urinalysis done. i guess i'm just a bit cautious bc she's only two and she's a female. we're also going to be super anal about keeping that litter box clean!

funny thing: apparently this morning, lexi took out the xmas lights in the living room window. i guess she tried to jump on the ledge and her cone caught a string and took half the lights down!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 2:52pm PST 
I been thru this twice with Prowler, and I can tell you for a fact, not only do these urinary prescription diets
NOT WORK, they actually contribute to the crystals, they are full of grains, grains are one of many causes of crystals. He too, was put on the Hills prescription, diff vet at the time, and after they came back a 2nd time, I said, something ain't right with this picture, and did the research.

I also highly highly recomend, you DO NOT finish the RC SO, just to please the vet, you bought it at the vets, right? think about it?

This is the site, look at the ingredients.

http://www.royalcanin.us/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?D ocID=134,293,12,1,Documents&MediaID=6143&Filename=Feline+Urinary+SO. pdf

It has grains and by products and the salt is listed way to high up in the ingredients.

You want to avoid corn, wheat, rice, corn gluten, wheat gluten, wheat flour and a new one, the pet food companies have come up with, maize flour, maize is corn. Grains are one of many causes of crystals.

It also mentions increased thirst, so have water avail. They are on the right tract, but it should not be accomplished, by increasing the salt. You do have to increase the water intake, but you do this by mixing the wet, with warm water, so its real soupy, twice a day. This keeps them hydrated and keeps the crystals flushed out. You also do not want to use tap water, too many minerals in there, I use the store brand gal jug, its like $1.00 of purified drinking water. Some use PURR and some use Brita, and some use the fountain.

Cat boxes should be picked every day, bedded deep, and mixed with baking soda, they should be in a quiet out of the way area, not in a high traffic area, and not near like a washer/dryer/furnace, that can come on suddenly, and scare the kitty. They should also not be picked on by another pet or family member, and the house should be free of stress, no yelling, no fighting, no alot of people over, etc.

I suspect, its the feed you were feeding her, that caused this.

You can also ask your vet, about Cosequin, it helps with the inflammed bladder walls.

Please, take her off the prescription diet, take the other cans back, and get your money back, get her on a quality grain free wet feed, mix it with warm water, so its real soupy, twice a day, no more tap water.
Was at one show, and we were talking about what we feed, they begged me, to take him off Hills prescription food, guess what, they were right, the crystals came back.

I feed Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo, its grain free, its been over 2 yrs, and no more crystals, and I watch him like a hawk, when he pees. But there are other good quality grain free feeds out there.
Best of luck. big grin
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 5:39pm PST 
It could certainly be the fruits, veggies, etc. in the Nature's Variety - they do seem to have more of those than some other premade raw. I think premade raw for dogs is better than it is for cats - for the simple reason that dogs are opportunistically omnivorous carnivores whereas cats are obligate carnivores.

I would recommend that you switch to either grain-free canned food or to do it yourself prey model raw. Please whatever you do, do not feed dry food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd also agree that the best thing to do with the prescription food would be to take it back. Additionally, please make sure that you use filtered water - the minerals in tap water can contribute to blockages.
[notify]

Lexi

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 9:36pm PST 
how filtered would you recommend? we use a brita filter for our water. or should i go to the store and buy their filtered spring water?

don't worry, i'm going to try to bring back the rc urinary cans tomorrow. she doesn't seem to like it anyway. i'm just going to make sure her can food resembles soup smile also, don't many grain free can foods have some veggies in them anyway? my problem is although lexi will eat almost anything usually, my other cat, einstein will not. he absolutely detests wellness (although i am going to try to spring it on him again soon). the only grain free that's not fish based that i've gotten him to eat is nature's variety instinct rabbit, lamb, and duck although i know he gets bored with each flavor if he eats it too many days in a row. i would rather feed them the same stuff to reduce the time it spends in the fridge.

good news is that lexi's pees seem to be getting bigger and more normal sized. when she first got home, she had to go all the time and always tiny amounts. she'll be done with her pain meds tomorrow, so hopefully everything is settling down...
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Dec 11, '10 6:28am PST 
The Brita should be fine, some use that, some use PURR, I don't have those, mol, so thats why I use the purified drinking water, wish I had enuf left over at the end of the week, to get one, mol. big grin

As far as the fruits and veggies, that one, I don't know, the others can better tell you, but I do know, that when I went on the BW, no more crystals, no more tummy issues and no more constipation, and it was approved by Bump's cardiologist at UC Davis. Their fur is soft and shiney, no skin issues, and they are very very bright, alert and active. big grin

She goes all the time, in little pee amounts, because her bladder walls are inflammed, so she feels the need to go all the time, hence, the small pee amounts. Its kinda like when we get a bladder infection, we feel like we have to go all the time. The Cosequin will help with this, thats what they put Prowler on, and for him, it worked. big grin

BK said it best, and learned this from him, when you scoop out the clump, it should be about the size of a baseball. laugh out loud

Mine are sched fed, and they eat in their carriers, and they each get different amounts. That way, they only eat what they are supposed to, no one feels like their food is being stolen, and its a good way to see if someone is not eating. If you need to feed lexi a different food from the other kitty, then seperate them at feeding time.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Lexi

Purred: Sat Dec 11, '10 8:44pm PST 
hey. new question: could peeing standing up have any indication of anything? lexi started peeing standing up a couple months ago, so we just got a taller sided litter box. anyway, i was watching her pee tonight when i got home and she's starting to go back to her normal peeing position. she's finally done with her pain meds and she doesn't have much more left of her antibiotics.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2