GO!

The Great Litter Debate

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Solo

Ridin' Solo

Purred: Sat Oct 23, '10 7:02pm PST 
I cannot find a litter that clumps well but doesn't get tracked all over the place while also keeping away the smell. I've tried 2 different Tidy Cats varieties, Swheat Scoop, Fresh Step, and Arm&Hammer. I was especially excited to try the newest variety of Arm&Hammer (Super Duty) because it is supposed to help with the feces odor as well as the urine odor, but it's actually the worst one I've tried yet. I'm about to pull my hair out, any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying World's Best next, but I hate that it's so expensive. confused
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Sun Oct 24, '10 12:19am PST 
Have you tried any of the crystal type litters? Those are only good for cats who wont eat the litter though- but the friends I have that use them say they dont track out of the box as much as the other kinds do.

I use Tidy Cats 24/7 Preformance. It works great.
The small spaces and instant action are also highly scented and help with the poo/urine smells- however my cats decided that the perfume was too much for them.
I am interested to try the Breathe easy blend, which is supposed to stop microbial growth/smells.

As for as litter tracking, its best to find a big litter catching mat/carpet to put under the box, that way you can easily take it outside and shake it off, or shake it into a garbage can. If you think you have one thats big enough, go bigger, you want the litter box to be surrounded by the pad so that way the litter has no way out. smile

If the smells are getting to you, scoop more often. I cant stand to scoop right after either of these guys go- but with the Tidy cats it soon covers the smell and Im able to scoop within 20 minutes or so. I dont usually do that, but I have- and it helps.

Maybe consider the tidycats Breeze box-
It separates liquid and solid waste, and the pellets it uses is supposed to eliminate dust.

ScoopFree makes an Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box. There are many other automatic boxes out there as well. The scoop free box is comparable to buying litter for a month- especially if you order it in bulk online. A friend with 3 cats goes through one tray a week. Granted she has two other regular litter boxes as well.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:03am PST 
The vet who maintains the Catinfo.org web site recommends Dr. Elsey's cat litters smile The regular litters are the Classic one and the Ultra one. I've never used it but the vet says the litter clumps hard and is very good at controlling odors. Tracking is a problem with any litter shrug You can buy a litter mat to place in front of the litter box. Some are carpet-like, others are like fake grass-like, others have rubber bumps.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sun Oct 24, '10 11:56am PST 
I like both World's Best and Dr. Elsey's. Both are very, very good at clumping and neither one has perfumes and are very low dust (Dr. Elsey's is almost no dust whatsoever). WB has a slightly "organic" smell to it (it's corn) that some people don't like, but I never had an issue with it. wink It will last longer than regular litter because it clumps so hard that it doesn't break apart and contaminate the rest of the litter.

I do occasionally use TidyCat Power Blend, which does a fair job of odor control but is so light and small that it tracks pretty bad. Ya just can't win! laugh out loud
[notify]

Solo

Ridin' Solo

Purred: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:29pm PST 
I think I will go ahead and try WB next. I do have a litter catching mat but I think I'll get a bigger one. Thanks for the advice/info!
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Mon Oct 25, '10 1:15pm PST 
just a note - I did try WB, but Maizy ate it when I put it in the box...I guess she loves corn! I too have been trying to find the perfect litter - I did like the way WB clumped - but for some reason it did not seem to work as well with 3 cats....I have 4 boxes that get scooped 2x day. Although alot of it was when Smitty had his belly issues and PHEW! so maybe I will try it again. forwarning it is not cheap though
[notify]

BigBon

Ms. Hissy Fit

Purred: Mon Oct 25, '10 5:44pm PST 
I also use the Tidy Cat crystal litter and seems to work well. But also scoop daily. And change twice weekly. Bon doesn't use it much thankfully, prefers to go outside. But when she does, it needs to be scooped immediately!! Whew!shock Her box is in the laundry room, and have a large rug underneath, so she doesn't track too much.

Edited by author Mon Oct 25, '10 5:46pm PST

[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Mon Oct 25, '10 8:59pm PST 
Just my personal opinion, I have tried Dr. Elsey's and World's Best and I like Dr. Elsey's better. It clumps like no other. And it is cheaper than World's Best. And, best of all, Maddox loves it (which is really the most important thing, right?). He will get in his litter box and just dig around for the heck of it. He takes his sweet time digging a nice hole and covering everything completely. I think he just likes to dig in the litter!
[notify]

Ollie

In my previous- life, I was a- dog.

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 6:53am PST 
I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter. It's relatively cheap here (about $11 for the large bag) and it clumps great and keeps the odor pretty down. Definitely my favorite litter we've used to date way to go
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Tue Oct 26, '10 2:28pm PST 
I think I am going to try Dr Elseys next. For some reason, Smitty cover his wees, but not the poops- which hello...is the most important thing to cover! So it can be smelly! Tigger likes to dig too, so maybe he will like that one also.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5