GO!

Bone meal

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Elphie

Go away! I'm- hiding...

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 8:02am PST 
Last night Elphie gobbled up some whole chicken hearts and pieces of beef kidney along with her regular ground hen mixture. She's officially out of the mixture, and if she eats sliced chicken tonight, we're going to return the grinder. Now that she will eat basic meat and organ just fine, my only problem is bones. My question is, will any old bone meal work? Also, how will I know how much bone meal to add? I was currently looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Gold-Steamed-Bone-Pounds/dp/B001 7JFLIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287241217&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon .com/NaturVet-Steamed-Bone-Meal-Powder/dp/B00008438S/ref=pd_sbs_k_1
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 10:16am PST 
I'm confused. If you're using a grinder, why would you not just grind up poultry or rabbit parts and get the bone that way?
[notify]

Elphie

Go away! I'm- hiding...

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 6:28pm PST 
I bought the grinder because I couldn't get her to eat anything: chunks, bones, slices, etc. Now she's eating small chunks of meat and chunks of organ just fine, so I'd like to return the grinder as it was pricey and sort of a hassle in comparison to how easily I feed my dog. Also, I'd like to move her off ground food if at all possible so that I don't have to use supplements and for the dental benefits.

Found reviews on the Solid Gold bone meal for raw diet usage, but I'm still not sure how I dose it out per meal.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 9:06pm PST 
Can you not get her to eat bone or why do you want to use bone meal instead of real bones?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Oct 17, '10 4:55am PST 
Elphie, the problem with adding meal or any calcium to a "chunk" diet is there's nothing to add it to. If you're feeding RMB's it's very difficult to get supplements in. If she's getting used to chunks now, maybe she'll graduate to bones?
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:19am PST 
BK is right. The only way to really add supplements, by and large, is to add them to ground food. So cats who won't eat bones or organs, for example, may need ground food so that they get all the components mixed together where they can't pick them out. I agree - cats can, at least initially, be more difficult to feed raw to than dogs, primarily because dogs are usually not too finicky, whereas cats seem to take being finicky to an art form.

If you still can return the grinder, that's great, but there is no reason why, if you've already used it, that you can't spend a day or two grinding up some whole carcass chicken, rabbit, etc. and store it in the freezer for future use. Since you only need 10% bone overall, that means that you can still offer them whole chunks of meaty meat - hearts, gizzards, chunks of beef or chicken, etc. You probably only need to feed something with bone maybe three days a week, depending upon how bone-heavy the grinds are, so that leaves the rest of the week that you can feed chunks for teeth-cleaning benefits.
[notify]