GO!

Question About Tooth Extraction/Healing

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pebbles

Pebbers

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 9:41pm PST 
Hi everyone,

Rocky had 2 teeth extracted about a month ago. Within a few days he was back to eating his normal amount of food & has seemed fine ever since, up until a few days ago. After he eats, he shakes his head a few times & licks his lips. It's not something he normally did before but he's been doing it after every time he eats. It's only for a few seconds, but mom is a worrier & is concerned. She looks at his mouth almost every day & his gums where he had the teeth removed don't look any different.

Her sister told her it might just be that he gets some food caught where the teeth used to be, they were on the right side, one on top & one on bottom. He doesn't seem to be in any pain & he has no symptoms like he had before with the bad teeth, drooling, bad breath, not eating, etc.

Oh and she checked his ears for the signs of earmites & there's nothing there either.

Thanks to anycat who has any insight on this.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Oct 15, '10 5:20am PST 
I don't have any experience with this, but there are others who have been thru this, and can give you a better anser. Do you feed him dry or wet? If its dry, maybe its like your sister said, a piece of crunchy, that is sharp, is hitting where his teeth used to be, or maybe its the beginning of another bad tooth. I know with horses, when they eat their grain, and start shaking their head, or holding their head at an angle, or if they do it, when the bit hits a tooth, and shake their head, or hold it at an angle, it usually means a bad tooth.
You might want to give your vet a call, and ask them. Here is a link on cat dental stuff. Best of luck.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1 +2121
[notify]

Pebbles

Pebbers

Purred: Fri Oct 15, '10 9:44am PST 
Thanks, we went ahead & booked an appointment for Tuesday, hope it's nothing serious...
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Oct 15, '10 10:35am PST 
Glad your taking him in, and whatever it is, catch it early, please keep us updated and let us know what the vet said. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Sat Oct 16, '10 8:14pm PST 
Bumpurr is quiet right. That would also be my suggestion. Brings back fond memories of when Meowma owned horses! Please let us all know what the vet tells you. Our Pug has to have some teeth pulled and he is 17 years old. They pulled 6 tubes of blood this morning and will let us know if things are good & when we can make an appointment for his teeth.
hug
[notify]