GO!

Raw Fish

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Sun Sep 5, '10 5:50am PST 
Can cats eat raw fish? Is it one of those things ok in small quantities?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Sep 5, '10 5:55am PST 
The only danger with raw fish is the mercury and other chemicals they may contain. So the answer is yes, but in moderation. The fish itself is good for them, it's just all the bad things IN the fish that can be harmful!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Sep 5, '10 7:56am PST 
I actually wouldn't do it: Feeding Raw Fish can result in a thiamine (B1 vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in
severe cases, death. Raw fish contains an enzyme called thiaminase, which can destroy vitamin B1. This enzyme can be destroyed by cooking the food. I'm sure that's in larger quantities and I suppose in small quantities it would be "maybe" okay but considering everything that's polluting our waters right now, oil in the gulf, another oil spill in Michigan, etc. etc. can you be sure where the fish came from and how much mercury, oil, etc. is in it? If it were me, I'd stick with meat.thinking
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Sun Sep 5, '10 9:44am PST 
Mine get smelt once a week - one smelt per cat. I try stick to small fish because they have less chance of bad chemicals etc.
[notify]

SnowFlake

The Evil One

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 4:58am PST 
Thanks for your input everyone!! I think if I get any it will be as a once in a while treat. She is on full time raw so Ive been looking at all the different stuff I can feed.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 5:11am PST 
Snowflake, I don't know if this helps, but here's a list of foods we either eat regularly or have tried: beef, duck, turkey, venison, bison, quail, lamb, goat, lamb kidney, and sweetbreads. We don't eat chicken meat, but we do eat chicken necks, livers, hearts and gizzards.
[notify]

Fee Verte

OmNomNomNomNommm

Purred: Tue Sep 7, '10 12:45pm PST 
Dunno...
But meow knoe z only seafood I dunna turn meow nosie up on iz tuna... me no like seafood as my meowmie found out and wasted some good fresh catch o' seabass. (Shez even saved z eyez fuurr me and all)

Meow moe o' as hooman sayz "a meat & potato" kinda kitty juz like meow daddy.kitty
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Wed Sep 8, '10 6:24pm PST 
hmmm I was just given a bunch of fish. BeBe's interested in it but the others really aren't. I'm up north so I'm not really concerned about the gulf (friends went fishing, gave me what they didn't want).

Don't they need fish in their diet?

Edited by author Wed Sep 8, '10 6:25pm PST

[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Sep 9, '10 3:26am PST 
BeBe, mercury is a problem in all fish, not just Gulf Coast fish. You could feed a little, but I wouldn't feed a lot of it or too often. They don't need fish in their diets, although fish oil is good for them.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Sep 11, '10 3:30pm PST 
Read my post up at the top about what raw depletes in the system. Also BK is right. Mercury and other toxins are in everything! You could do Icelandic fish oil instead. They have a sardine & anchovy one that's supposed to be good and also a salmon oil. These have beneficial omega oils without all the junk.
http://icelandpure.com/index2.html
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2