GO!

Sick Ellie-- Please read

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Ellie

Puurrr~

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 10:14am PST 
-- Already updated. -- Check out bottom of page 7! Thanks!!

Edited by author Sun Aug 15, '10 6:57pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 11:07am PST 
Oh my goodness! Poor thing. Well you are wonderful for taking her in. I will tell you right off the bat that those prescription diets are terrible!!!!! They are full of corn and grains and do nothing but add stress to the pancreas and other organs. As long as the tests came out negative then she's either just had such a poor diet being alone outdoors or she could have some inflammation in her intestines, possibly because of that reason. What I would do first off is to stop the vomiting, she needs some anti-nausea meds. Ask the vet when they call back if it's okay to give her 1/4 of a 10 mg pepcid a/c. We kitty parents that have cats with inflammatory bowel disease and other intestinal issues use it all the time. It takes down the acid in the esophigus and helps calm things down enough for diet change and inflammation to get better. I'd also pick up this product if you can, Eaglepack Transition Solutions. It's a chicken flavored powder that you sprinkle on their food. It has probiotics in it which will help to alleviate that diarrhea and hopefully put back some of the good bacteria she lost. Is she dehydrated at all? Can you tug on the skin in her scruff and see if it bounces right back? If so, that means she's not dehydrated. If it takes a few seconds and seems slow, it means she is. If that's the case, add some water to her food and if you can, get a small eye dropper or medicine syringe from the drug store and syringe her some water. That may be part of why she keeps vomiting. What did the vomit look like? Was it all food or was there a yellowish color or look like bile? Also, go to my website and check out the long list of foods here that are grain free and WAYYYYYY better for her than that other junk: http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html. Any one of the ones I have listed will be fine. Just get a couple of cans of one or two of them for now and start slowly. Don't let the vet talk you into the prescription food anymore! Let us know what the vet says when they call back.
[notify]

Ellie

Puurrr~

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 2:55pm PST 
Sorry I didn't re-post earlier. The internet went crazy and I didn't have the chance. The Vet still hasn't called.. I called back once and got " Oh she has to do her runs before she can get back to you." .... I understand she is busy, but I cannot help being a little angry. She is sick and emaciated, my Vet could have the heart to take a five minute break in between her appointments to get back to me! I've never heard of a vet waiting until the evening to get back to clients. Yes, this is a rather new vet and I thought I liked them... but it's going south pretty fast.

I've did a little reading... Shouldn't she have had blood-work done? Did I have to request this?

Anyway, I fed her half the can of feline i/d and a hand full of the SD and she has kept it down. But the consistency of her feces has gotten worse. When my hubby gets from work I am going to get him to stop at petsmart and get a non-grain food for her. I will also look for the transition packet you were talking about.

Also I checked her for dehydration and I think she is a little. I'll start adding a little water with her food. Oh, and her vomit is yellow with chunks of undigested food in it.

Thanks for all of the information!
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 3:05pm PST 
Great advice Alex. The only thing I have to add is that because Ellie is emaciated, she hasn't been eating regularly. Her system just may take some time to adjust to eating any food. Pepcid a half an hour before feeding first thing in the morning may help and feeding small portions more frequently may too.
[notify]

Ellie

Puurrr~

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 3:48pm PST 
That is true. It might take her a while to adjust to cat food. I'll ask a vet about the pepcid. I really hope this isn't more then this. As sweet as a girl she is, she doesn't deserve all of this stuff that is happening to her.. =(
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 3:51pm PST 
Thanks Purrcy! I forgot about giving the pepcid 30 minutes before she eats. Let it have time to coat the system first. Also, I would only give a little bit of food at a time. Like Purrcy said, if she's been having a hard time keeping it down and her stomach may have shrunk from not eating, it will take awhile to get her back to a condition where she's not nauseas or feeling yucky! she may be so hungry, she may be eating too fast. That ticks me off about the vet. Is there another vet in your area you could call? And yes, they should have done blood work. I had misunderstood, I thought they already did that! There could be a lot of other things going on that the blood work would show. What you could also do is try putting the food in the blender with a little bit of water, like maybe not quite 1/4 of a cup and making it even more pate than it is. This will enable her to digest it better for a bit. I'm worried about her liver values with the description of her vomit and what's going on. If she went too long without eating, her liver could be enflamed. Purrcy and I both know about that very well so I think he may agree it's concerning and something the vet should have taken into account. If she gets any worse tonight, I'd get her to the ER. If she seems like she's not too much worse, try in the morning to contact another vet or get back to that one and tell them that she needs to be seen PRONTO! Sheesh! I would absolutely try and use an eye dropper or medicine syringe and give her some extra water. She sounds like she's dehydrated to me and taht's going to affect how she digests her food and keeps it down. Oh my goodness. I'm so glad you found her and took her in, bless your heart for this. she's going to need you!
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 4:24pm PST 
Blood work should have been done. You are correct. You want to check out her kidneys and the blood work will help this. Also, check to see if she has an urinary tract infection. Don't give her too many foods at once. Add others slowly. Baby food is good too as long it doesn't contain any onions. Cats love chicken and turkey. Fish isn't that good for them. Did the vet give you an idea how old she is? You are good to take her in. She is fortunate to have found you. Any others questions, ask. This is a good site. We still want people take their cats to vets but we can help with any other questions....Sharon, owened by Natasha,
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 4:35pm PST 
No baby food with garlic either! No onions, no garlic!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 7:04pm PST 
I just got this book today (my husband got it for me from the bookstore on his way home) and the author of the book, a vet, says he recommends a mixture of finely chopped turkey or baby food meat turkey (without onions like it was said before) mixed 50/50 with very well cooked brown rice.

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love

Purred: Tue Jul 20, '10 7:47pm PST 
For very sick animals our shelter makes home-made chicken soup with a little rice added. No salt, herbs, etc. Feeding just a little bit at a time.

Yes, chicken baby food is good -- plain; nothing added.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7