GO!

like fruits and veggies for humans, what's a harmless cat snack?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
njäuks

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 11:29am PST 
Hi all... this is a copy and paste now, from questions and answers. The thing is, i can't edit my question anymore... so i'll better post here...

My cat has been overweight for as long as i remember. When my vet noticed it, he put her on a diet. The diet is definitely helping and the weight is coming down but my kitty is constantly feeling hungry and she's gotten really panicky about food if you know what i mean. I've been thinking maybe there's some sort of a safe "kitten snack" that i could always leave out for her in a bowl and that wouldn't even be tasty or appetizing to her in itself - but something she could nevertheless nibble on, whenever she wants, just to get some bulk in her stomach?

any suggestions?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 12:08pm PST 
Are you feeding her the prescription diets? Because if you are, they are full of grains and they turn to sugar which makes the pancreas work harder and just like junk food to us, they leave us hungry and wanting more. If you feed her a high protein, good, quality, grain free food, she will feel full when she's supposed to and eat the way she's supposed to. Leaving out a snack for her won't fix that and may make her gain the weight back. Check out my mom's website and list of grain free foods: You can click on the websites included for the companies to check ingredients, calories, etc.
http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html
[notify]

njäuks

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 1:03pm PST 
Ok, so more meat and less grain, i get it. I just thought that there should be SOMETHING that is safe to free feed, in addition to the regular and regulated meals.

thanks for the link, Alex

Edited by author Wed Jul 7, '10 1:06pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 2:29pm PST 
Well you could if you absolutely had to because you're at work long hours, etc. But if it's just to satisfy her hunger, you're really better off going with a good quality canned food like Nature's Variety rabbit, duck or lamb, something like that. Because she's so used to being so hungry, it will take about a week before she stops begging endlessly for food like that. But you'll see a difference. She'll lose the weight still slowly like she's supposed to but put on your muscle mass, have more energy, even sleep more soundly. All that sugar is just making her have junk food cravings like we do for junk. But when we stop eating junk and have good meals, that stops eventually. Also, If you're able to, instead of doing only 3 meals per day, break it down to 4 smaller meals per day. Don't cut her amount down, just break it up into more feedings. Like they say for people also to do smaller, more frequent meals, it's the same thing. It does really work, that's how Finney and Lacey eat because I work out of the house. So I'm able to guage how much they're eating etc. You will have to change around her schedule and system a little but it will be very worth it because she'll be so much more healthy! And don't let the vet talk you out of the better foods either, they usually push the prescription foods only because they make money off of it. YOU are the parent and it's YOUR choice as to what to feed her! Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help!
[notify]

njäuks

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 3:07pm PST 
Yeah, that's all very sound advice and it certainly helps, Alex!! But i'm still curious because, speaking of humans, we can eat apples or tomatos or carrots anytime we like, and it's only good for us. So isn't there something that would work the same way for cats? smile
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 3:58pm PST 
Not really unless you free feed dry food but it has to be grainless and dry isn't ideal when trying to lose weight. So that part is up to you. It's really not as nutritious as canned meat or raw food because the processing really squeezes out nutrients. Cats don't need a lot of vegetables in their diets so it's not the same thing as us snacking on apples and fruit, and there's really no suggestion I can give you that will make any sense. So if you HAVE to do it that way, buy a grain free kibble that's high in protein and only put out a very small amount, like a 1/4 cup for grazing while you're gone. Other than that, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Like I said, she shouldn't need to be snacking all day if she's on the right diet. Doesn't that make more sense as far as her health is concerned? I wish some others would chime in here because I'm guessing they'd say the same thing. Sorry I'm not more help.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 4:37pm PST 
I agree with Alex. I feed Hunter Wellness Grain free canned food 3 times a day. And I don't work out of my home. My work hours are early. So I feed him at 6:00am around 3:30ish when I get home, and then again at 8:30. I also feed him Wellness Core dry kibble. (yea I know its not the best for him) but thats just over night and just 1/4 of a cup. No more. Most of the time he leaves it or will eat a couple of mouthfuls during the night. He will actually wait for his canned food instead of eating the dry most times.(smart boy). laugh out loud Hunter does get treats too. Temptation treats, just once a day though. As I don't want Hunter getting fat at all. He is getting to be a big boy, long lean and tall!!

I too had a kitty who was over weight and eating Science Diet. I didn't know it was bad for her. My Vet told me it was good for her. She was HUGE!! She had a small frame and weighed 18 pounds. She ended up having so many medical problems, and died really young for a cat. She was 11. I did so much research to learn about cat nutrition. Now I almost find it interesting. Maybe I'm weird like that. Anyway a good website to read is catinfo.org, and you can actually email the author. Dr. Pierson. I've emailed her a couple of times, and although she is brief, I trust her opinion, she is a Vet after all. smile

Good luck with your kitty!!!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Jul 7, '10 5:22pm PST 
Some possibilities for snacks that are good for cats:

-raw chicken gizzards

-freeze dried all meat treats such as these - http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-All-Meat-Bit es-Treats/999321.aspx

-Ziwipeak Daily Cat Cuisine

You could not leave a large amount of the 1st two out, but they would be good snacks that you could offer once or twice a day. The Daily Cat Cuisine is a jerky like food that you could leave a bit of out in a small bowl. Leaving out a lot of food, even nutritious "good" food will still cause weight gain, so you have to limit treats unless you decrease the amount of regular food.

Cats are obligate carnivores, meant to consume meat as their only source of calories and nutrients; ditch the Science Diet and feed a good quality, grain free canned food as Alex mentioned and your cat will stop being hungry all the time. Have you read catinfo.org?

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

njäuks

Purred: Thu Jul 8, '10 3:41am PST 
Hi again... Thanks for all the advice, it'll come in handy i'm sure.
As for what i was looking for, i thought i made it clear enough laugh out loud
Was just trying to determine whether such a thing exists or not.
[notify]

Ollie♥Forever Loved

Eat.- Play.Love.Purr

Purred: Mon Jul 12, '10 1:21pm PST 
That's a great question.My little guy is always hungry! Like you I am frustrated and would love an answer.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2