GO!

Iams wet food recall

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 2:27pm PST 
You may know this already, but I just saw this on the Petco site * wanted to pass it on if anyone feeds their kitties this food.

Iams Wet Cat Food Recall
written by Lisa Epstein on June 9th, 2010 | Leave a comment
At PETCO, the health and wellbeing of pets are our primary concern, and we want to alert you that Procter & Gamble initiated a voluntary recall today of its Iams wet cat food products out of concern that thiamine (Vitamin B1), an ingredient in the food, loses potency over time.

Proctor & Gamble Recalls Iams Wet Cat Food
Based on that information, we have directed our store teams to remove all Iams wet cat food from our shelves. In addition, our registers have been programmed to prevent the sale of these products at checkout.

Our chief veterinarian advises us that insufficient thiamine (Vitamin B1) over a short period – five or six months, for example – would not likely cause any adverse health effects in your cat. If you feed your cat products in addition to Iams, your pet should not have any health implications. If you feed Iams wet cat exclusively, your cat could be at risk.

While the P&G news release issued today advises consumers to throw away unused product, we expect to have a process for PETCO customers to return product and obtain a refund. We’ll post more info about that process as we learn more.

For more details on the recall and information on potential health implications read the full news release from P&G.
[notify]

Aquavit

Queen of the- Mansion

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 3:05pm PST 
I was just coming here to post this. From the Pet Connection: Proctor & Gamble recall Iams canned cat foods
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 4:04pm PST 
Thanks you guys! I send out recall information on my website so I'm going to get right on this to my members. Thank you so much for this info!
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 5:56pm PST 
From the FDA website:

P&G Recalls Specific Canned Cat Foods

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - CINCINNATI, June 9, 2010 – The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) (NYSE: PG) is voluntarily recalling specific lots of its Iams canned cat food in North America as a precautionary measure. Diagnostic testing indicated that the product may contain insufficient levels of thiamine (Vitamin B1), which is essential for cats. Cats that were fed these canned products as their only food are at greater risk for developing signs of thiamine deficiency.

The following Iams canned cat foods are included:

Iams ProActive Health canned Cat and Kitten Food – all varieties of 3 oz & 5.5 oz cans - Date on bottom of can: 09/2011 to 06/2012

This recall is limited to only Iams canned cat food distributed in North America. No other Iams pet food is involved.

Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include loss of appetite, salivation, vomiting and weight loss. In advanced cases, signs may include ventroflexion (downward curving) of the neck, wobbly gait, falling, circling and seizures. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your cat is displaying any of these signs. If treated promptly, thiamine deficiency is typically reversible.

Consumers who have purchased canned cat food with these codes should discard it. For further information or a product refund call P&G toll-free at 877-340-8826 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST).
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed Jun 9, '10 11:17pm PST 
Ok I dont understand, they are saying that a short period of time (5 or 6 months) shock if fed this canned food only your cat is at risk. That seems like a long time to me, do they not test their foods very often? should it not be done on each batch?? Pathetic!!!
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 12:33pm PST 
Exactly Shadow! I mean they do tests of each batch of other stuff like um paint & stuff why are they not testing every single batch of food? This all scares me so much. I look at the cans in the store and wonder sometimes if I am hurting my little ones when only I try to give them the best I can afford. shudder.....
[notify]

OzzyCat

Life's Great- under the- covers...

Purred: Sat Jun 12, '10 1:25am PST 
I put the complete list in a diary entry the other day.

We remember quite clearly the whole big Menu Foods recall in 2007. Our bulldog WINston, who was eating Nutro Ultra "Holistic" dog food, was hospitalized for a week and almost died. He lived the rest of his life with compromised kidneys. At that time it was quite telling that the ONLY "premium" pet foods on the long list of recalled Menu food products were Iams/Eukanuba and Nutro. The rest were all off-brands like Ol' Roy and store brands like Hy-Vee and Save-a-Lot.

Here we are again. (and as an aside, can I say how ironic it is that this recalled food is called Iams ProActive Health????? ) shrug
[notify]