GO!

Can spayed cats still go in heat on occasion?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 8:32am PST 
I just rescued a cat about 2 months ago. She appears to have been spayed, because she has the spay sway and she is a very skinny, petite cat everywhere else (only weighs about 5 pounds) so I assumed that she was fixed because she appeared to be so but for the past 4 days she has been in heat.

I had heard before that fixed cats can still on occasion go into heat. I have a 3 year old female who was fixed 2 and a half years ago. She has not gone into heat since being fixed that I can recall.
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 8:58am PST 
She could have had kittens, that will cause the 'spay sway' so to speak. If she is in heat, it is more than likely she wasn't spayed. Did you have a Veterinarian check for a scar? If some tissue is left inside them from a spay sometimes they will show signs of being in heat but usually aren't in 'full-blown' heat.
[notify]

Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 9:44am PST 
oh ok. yea she is def in full blown heat, it has been about 4 days now. keeping me up at night with her moaning. Sasha the first day the other cat was in heat, was mounting her and displaying male mating behaviors like she was substituting or similating for Pequena, but now the past couple of days sasha is no longer doing that, and instead keeps attacking and hissing at her like she is annoyed and angry that Pequena is still in heat.
[notify]

Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 9:47am PST 
how often do cats go into heat? Because I wont have the money to get her fixed probably for a couple of months or more
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 9:50am PST 
your going to want getting her fixed to be first thing on your list because in the summer female cats are constantly in heat and its bad for her health, too.

Alot of places are doing low cost spay now a days, esp if your in a large town. call your local shelters and ask if they know of any programs. here in Toledo its only 20 bucks for low income.
[notify]

Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 11:10am PST 
how often do cats go into heat? Because I wont have the money to get her fixed probably for a couple of months or more
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 11:17am PST 
Sasha cats do not come out of heat unless they get pregnant or spayed.

Edited by author Tue Jun 1, '10 11:18am PST

[notify]

jadyn liana- macavity-bla- ck

god heard, god- answered, the- mystery cat

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 3:31pm PST 
you need to get kitty to the vet as soon as you can, but most likely you've just got a small cat (i only weigh six pounds) who's had a litter in the past. i'd be more worried that she might be contagious for something than i would fret over the heat, though-heats aren't dangerous, just annoying.
a previous poster said that female cats were in constant heat unless pregnant or spayed? that is not true! i'm a little over a year old and not yet spayed-i go for the operation tomorrow, mom is trying to be brave-and i was not in constant heat, and have never been pregnant. mom has had other female kitties that it took her awhile to get spayed-money, transportation, health of the cat-and it is NOT TRUE that a female cat stays in heat unless pregnant or spayed. it is also not particularly a health benefit to spay a cat, though it of course eliminates the risks of pregnancy, pyometria, and reproductive cancers, those aren't exactly big killers of kitties.
the benefit is that it is terribly frustrating to be on a hormonal roller coaster with no relief, for both human and kitty-and it prevents the birth of kittens for whom there is no dedicated home waiting. i wish there were a monthly birth control pill or something similar for cats, but until there is spaying and neutering are the best options.
but cats with intact reproductive systems do NOT have shorter life spans if they're given good care. and they do NOT stay in heat unless they're pregnant or spayed, they go into and out of PERIODS of heat, or estrus, until they get pregnant or are spayed. the arguments for spaying and neutering are compelling enough without us making up strange things...i don't know where the previous poster got their misinformation, but my paws are crossed that it wasn't their vet.confused
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 9:37pm PST 
Some cats do remain in a constant state of heat, they will cycle for 3 weeks, rest a day or two up to a week then come right back in, we see it all the time at the vet I work at, people will call to schedule an appointment to have their cat spayed and then cancel because their cat came into heat again.

The best answer I have found and seems to coincide with my experience. I personally have only ever owned 2 cats that has made it to having a heat cycle, although have seen many many rescued cats in heat. Heat Cycles in Cats Right at the top of the page it answers the question. Cats generally cycle during "Prime Breeding Season" which is December to August for several days up to 21 days returning every couple of weeks, some stay in a constant heat cycle until bred or pregnant. But I do like what they say about it depends on a lot of factors, light, environment, genetics etc. I had a cat who became anemic because she was in heat and never came out, we were waiting for her to come out of heat in order to spay her. Finally after about 4 months we decided to have her spayed. We had to make a judgement call and spaying her was very hard on her, she had IV's and had to stay in the hospital for a few days, she almost had to have a blood transfusion.
[notify]

Retsina,- 1993-2010

Queen of the- Mansion- (retired)

Purred: Tue Jun 1, '10 10:54pm PST 
Retsina was very undersized due to malnutrition when I adopted her, and I was trying to wait for her to get a little larger before spaying her. She went into heat, and after several attempts to schedule her spay surgery, the vet finally told me to just wait for a day she wasn't in heat, fast her overnight, and call ahead the next morning to be sure they had room in the schedule that day.

One of the more frustrating ways in which cats aren't dogs. big grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2