GO!

should I let my cat jump off the counters ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Luke

Purred: Sat Apr 24, '10 6:30pm PST 
my cat is 10 months old and he is fit but he has a tummy, but anyway, when he jumps off our island in the kitchen, he shakes (like when i dog gets out of a bath) and he makes a umph sound...so i don't know if it's hurting him or if he can't handle it....do your cat's make a sound after they jump to the floor ??
[notify]

Kitty- Skyfish

I didn't do it!

Purred: Mon Apr 26, '10 12:14pm PST 
The "oooof" sound is not a vocalization of any sensation but air being expelled from his lungs - and that is purrrfectly normal in kitties. I do it too, but with more of a "huh" sound! smile If his landings are painful, he'd avoid jumping off counters in the future....which doesn't seem to be the case here. He's lucky he can play on the counters! I get hollered at, which seems rather snippy if you ask me.
[notify]

Luke

Purred: Mon Apr 26, '10 3:42pm PST 
ya thats the only place he can eat peacefully with out the dogs taking his food and bothering him !
[notify]