GO!

Help! Found kittens in garden..

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Boo

I can see you- but you can't- see me!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 9:12am PST 
I found three kittens in the garden on my building. Must have just been born today or yesterday. Two have the umbilical cord/placenta (??) attached. One doesn't. I have no idea if this is good or bad. They are all alive, but they have ants on them.

The person who found them was gardening and heard screeching. He looked and saw they were babies and called the building president (my father in law) who called me (resident cat lady). The gardening guy saw the mama go over to them, but he accidentally scared her away and hasn't seen her since.

I called two local shelters, who said not to do anything.

I put them in a box with a blanket and left them where they were found, along with some cat food for mama.

Do I just have to wait and hope the mama will come back?? I'm so nervous!
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 11:35am PST 
Oh~ poor babies! Best case scenario is that mom comes back and takes care of them, it is worth waiting for her.

We have our paws crossed that she comes back soon!
[notify]

Boo

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 12:10pm PST 
Thanks Tasha! Yikes, I'm sooo nervous...I just checked again after a couple hours and no sign of mama...the food I put out for her wasn't touched...and one dead kitten! The bugs are really starting to accumulate...and it's cold!
[notify]

♥Simo- n♥

Mommy's baby- kitty

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 12:41pm PST 
Oh this is so sad! So sorry to learn one kitty has already died. I have no experience with newborn kittens but I do believe they need to be fed quite often. I hope momma is nearby. She could be afraid to come back right now. I do know they sell kitten formula at pet stores. You could try feeding them that. I have read that old coffee grounds sprinkled around deter ants as well as fresh peppermint leaves. You could try that to ward the bugs away. Sending my purrs that momma comes back. Hope the little ones make it. Let us know!

Hugs and purrs,
Simon
hughughug
[notify]

Callie

Catch me if you- can

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 1:35pm PST 
I hope the momma comes back! Too bad I'm not close by- my momma cat has plenty of milk and would probably take the little onesfrown Pet stores and walmart sell kitten formula- the kittens are supposed to eat like every 2hrs... good luck!
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 1:42pm PST 
Oh no! The others are right, you can purchase kitten formula at stores~ wal mart is cheaper than most pet stores. It is a lot of work to bottle feed kittens, like Callie said~ round the clock every 2 hours, and they get a huge benefit from nursing from mom. It is so sad that she has not come back yet cry
[notify]

♥Simo- n♥

Mommy's baby- kitty

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 2:19pm PST 
I also wanted to mention that the kittens should be kept warm. You said it's getting cold outside. If you don't bring them inside for the night, do you have a hot water bottle that you could place inside the box under the towels? That would help to keep them warm. We do hope momma comes back and the kitties make it. Paws are crossed!
hughughughug
[notify]

Boo

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 3:05pm PST 
Still no sign of mama. And their bodies were really really cold. With one dead kitten already, and the rest covered in bugs, I didn't want to chance it, so I eventually did take them in. I've been bottle feeding them KMR and I have them on an electric blanket. I found someone in Brooklyn who has experience with this, so I'm bringing them to her tonight.

So far the survivors are doing well! Their bodies have warmed up. BUT only two of the kittens will drink from the bottle! The third kitten refuses to and I"m really worried. It's strange because she is the liveliest of the bunch. She is very very vocal and is crawling all over the bed. I worried...
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 3:54pm PST 
You did the right thing~ poor momma must have been too scared to come back cry

It is good that they are going to someone with experience~ they are just so fragile. Paws crossed that they do okay.

hughughughughughughughughug
[notify]

♥Simo- n♥

Mommy's baby- kitty

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 4:11pm PST 
Tasha's right, you did the right thing by bringing them inside. They wouldn't have made it in the cold weather. Glad to hear they have warmed up and some are eating and you know someone who will take them tonight. Hopefully, you can try to stimulate that little one to eat. Maybe place a few drops of the KMR on it's mouth so it will lick it off. Are all the ants gone? You can be proud of yourself for taking action. Most would have said 'Too bad' and walked away. You have a kind, caring heart! way to go Please keep us posted on their progress.....

Hugs and purrs,
Simon & Reuben(an angel)
hughughughug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4