GO!

Pregnant feral kitty

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tom Kitty

You'll Never- Catch Me!!!

Purred: Wed Apr 7, '10 11:17am PST 
For the past 7yrs. I've taken care of a feral tom cat(Tom Kitty). Well a few months ago a new cat showed up- a BEAUTIFUL calico. She was very scared of people and you couldn't get even 200ft to her without her taking off. She has improved now to the point I can almost touch her... she's also now pregnant. This is her first (and last) litter and I was wondering about how many is an average first litter? Oh, there are possibly 4 fathers-Tom is one of themfrown
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Wed Apr 7, '10 3:41pm PST 
Ouch. I hope you can get her trust you more now that she's pregnant (some pregnant cats do relish the extra attention, so she might be even willing to let you trap her and keep her indoors when she is getting ready to have those kittens), which will make getting her spayed later easier.

Though I'm no expert on pregnant momma cats (never had to take care of one), my understanding is that litter size has more to do with the health and constitution of a particular cat, rather than some ideal average. In essence, she'll have however many she is fit to carry to term. However, if she is fairly young (and I know that up close, you will likely not be able to tell, unless you've been watching over her since she was a kitten, in which case you would have a general idea), she might have a smaller litter, maybe 2-3 tops vs. the 4 or more that most older momma cats in decent health can have.

Good luck.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Apr 7, '10 11:28pm PST 
im assuming your getting her spayed after her kittens. good for you!!!! dancingcheerhamster dance

kittys have 2-6 kittens but can have more or less depending on alot of things. if she is fairly young, healthy, and has mated with severl strong males, its possible she will have 5-6 kittens. it is also possible not all will make it to an adoptable age, esp being outside.

im betting that since shes outside with lots of choices in males, she may have a large litter. shock

best you can do is offer her plenty of food,water and some warm hidey places for her to stay safe.

thanks for taking care of a homeless mamma kitty! if you have any questions just paw mail me
[notify]

Tom Kitty

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 9:21am PST 
Sorry, I should have explained a little better. Callie is about a year old(maybe a little less). She mated with at least 4 toms and I was finally able to catch her yesterday morning. She is adjusting well although I can't seem to convince her to sleep on her bed-she insists on trying to sleep in the litter box.
[notify]

QUINCY

I've never met a- kitten I didn't- like

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 10:12am PST 
We are gonna guess five, although we have fostered Mama cats who've had from 1-8. I think one of our foster homes had one with 9 or 10, but that would be highly unusual.

Keep us updated. Hopefully you can get the little family in somewhere safe and get the kittens away from Mama at a good age to socialize them. Unless, of course, she becomes social herself.
[notify]

Tom Kitty

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 11:03am PST 
I will keep you updated. I have Callie's cage set up in my room so I can moniter her and so she gets used to having me around. I plan on handling the kittens everday when they are born-regardless of whether Callie likes it or not!-so they will be well socialized. Callie doesn't ever hiss at me and she accepts me feeding her and messing with the stuff in her cage. She even accepted a bite of food from me this morning, so I think she will also be ready for her forever home by the time the kittens are weaned and she is spayed. I will be posting a profile for her this afternoon if anyone wants to check her out.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 12:26pm PST 
It's so great you were able to get Callie inside for the birth! Just a comment - the laying in the litter box is SO common when we have a new foster come in. It's often the first place they go. I'm fine with that because it means they know where it is when they need it later, mol. But it's nothing to worry about and she'll come out when she feels more comfortable. Sounds like she's adjusting already too!
[notify]

Tom Kitty

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 7:27pm PST 
Quick update: She let me touch her! I was scooping her litter box(with her still in it btw) and when I was done I decided to see what she would do if I put my hand near her. Nothing so I decided-what the heck- and tried to touch her. She didn't exactly love it, but she didn't have a negative reaction either! I'm sooo HAPPY. Anyways, will post as soon as there's more news/questions
[notify]

Trixy

Oooo what's- that! I'm going- to get it!

Purred: Fri Apr 9, '10 9:08am PST 
We have a kind of foster kitty with us right now. We are taing care of her until her kittens are old enough to be adopted out. She had three kittens and this was her first litter. Now her sister was pregnant and had her kittens way to early and there were five birth sacks that she had. So she would had had 5 kittens if she had carried them full term. That same cat has had another litter and she had three that time. These cats are all small cats the size of my cat Trixy. (there Trixy's sister) That might have something to do with it.

My guess would be three if she is a smaller cat and 4 if she is larger. But like everyone said it can be a lot less or a lot more.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Apr 9, '10 9:52am PST 
good for you!

another great way to tame wild kittys... get a book or headphones with music (anything quiet, really) and sit with her and read/listen, aka: sit there but ignor her. dont look her directly in the eye. if she comes up to you, dont reach for her. insted, talk softly. "nice girl" "good kitty"
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3