GO!

Coughing, Gagging, Hard Swallows

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Cameron

miiiiiiiiiiiiiil- llllllllllk!

Purred: Wed Apr 7, '10 7:49am PST 
These are the things I have been doing the last 48 hours. That and some sneezing.

I have no discharge from my nose or eyes. I am eating (and swallowing fine), pooping, peeing, and playing as usual. I have no fever. No drooling or lethargy. My meow does sound a bit rough though.

Mom suspected a hairball at first, so we started hairball remedy last night. We usually get it twice a week, but since I destroyed the last tube and we had to throw it out, we haven't had any in 3 weeks. Mom is hoping it's just a hairball.

She does have a call into the vet (and dad stayed home to monitor me while we wait) - but wanted to see if anyone else was familiar with these symptoms.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Apr 7, '10 6:43pm PST 
It sounds like a big old hairball to me also, but if it continues over a day you might need to see a vet to make sure there isn't a string wrapped around the back of his tongue and hanging down, or anything at all like that. (NOTE-IF YOU EVER SEE ANYTHING CAUGHT THERE, DON'T TRY TO PULL IT OUT, AS IT COULD BE TANGLED IN A KITTY'S INNARDS!)
by the way, you are really pretty and shiny!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 11:23am PST 
wondering how things are going
[notify]

Cameron

Purred: Thu Apr 8, '10 4:45pm PST 
well.... we got the hair ball remedy going and talked to the vet yesterday. thought we'd go another day to see if things improved.

coughing and gagging much less, but sneezing a lot now. frown still eating, drinking, and playing and no discharge from eyes or nose. if nothing has changed by morning, it's off to the vet for an exam.
[notify]

Gerard

Turbo icepack- with an attitude

Purred: Sat Apr 10, '10 9:57pm PST 
How are you doing Cameron? Mom learned a new thing the other day (that probably many of you know..mom's learning much now that we're 12 plus fosters) She was wondering why a kitty would gag, cough and sometimes throw-up even after they had passed a hairball(like the second time, mom figured if no hairball why is he doing it again) Vet told her that besides the hairball lump there could be loose hair in throath, stomach so he's tryng to get rid of it all..she thought once the hairball was out that was it until the next but not always.
Also one of the fosters here gags always when mom give him his evening meal but not in the morning, or other times he eats, snacks(he's still growingwink she wondered about that too.
Vet said that kitty could have an overproduction of gastric acid that builds up during the day and by eve there's enough that the smell of food will make him gag.
Anyways about you, we hope you found out something more concrete from your vet, sneezing could be respiratory infection, calici, allergies, he'd know. Purrs to you
[notify]

Cameron

Purred: Mon Apr 12, '10 8:09pm PST 
turned out to be a cold. not much we could do but wait it out. no secondary infections showing, and i'm still myself, just stuffed up. we've done some steam baths (sitting in a steamy room) which seemed to help some. still sneezing a bit, but no more coughing or gagging. my 'brother' jasper must have given me a cold because his sneezing (started week before mine and was thought to be an allergy) is now gone.

mom is annoyed that the windows she has recently clean are now all speckled with our sneezes.

anyway... now we know kitties can get a common cold - from who knows where - just like people. we've enjoyed the extra attention, minus the trips to the vet!

thanks for checking on me!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Apr 13, '10 9:47am PST 
Glad it turned out to be something "minor" even though colds are nasty things. Hope you feel better! Sending some imaginary "chickie soup" your way mol! laugh out loud
[notify]

Steinem - In Memory

Let\'s see what- we can get into- to

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 5:39pm PST 
We just saw this post. Glad you're doing better!

happy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Apr 27, '10 1:31pm PST 
Cameron, tell your mom to give you some L-lysine. Pollen allergies are affecting kitties very badly this year. It'll help. If the coughing continues though, she needs to have you checked for asthma.
[notify]

Hypatia

I am the center- of the universe

Purred: Sun May 2, '10 8:09pm PST 
yup sounds like hairballs, particularly if the sides are heaving. I give my cat grapeseed oil a few times a week and this problem has virtuall been eradicated. She laps the stuff up like its fish oil!--helps with constipation too!
[notify]