GO!

Please tell me it can't be anything serious?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mockqua

"Mocha"

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 12:55pm PST 
Mockqua peed where she sleeps.
I've been suspecting diabetes for the past monthish because she's been drinking tons and peeing in strange places. But this was completely new for her. She's never in her life done this.
She sleeps on my bed, and she peed on my bed, right where she usually sleeps. I admit, I was mad at her, and gave her trouble for it without thinking. Because I just happened to have my brand new clothes I just bought sitting there before I put them away and she peed on them. And now I feel awful about it because I don't think she could even control it.

But I'm terrified that it's going to be something really serious that I can't afford to treat. Diabetes I've worked out that I can afford to test for and treat it this month (though not for another week or so till I get money), but anything else I just don't know.

Is there anything else that causes excessive thirst and urination? I've also read that if done early and treated aggressively, that diabetes can actually be cured in cats. Is that true or just wishful thinking?
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 3:47pm PST 
Unfortunately just about everything that can cause excess thirst/urinartion is serious. Off the top of my head:
1- Hyperthyroidism (common in older cats where their thryoid produces too much hormones) usually treated with pills or an expensive prodedure (mommy isn't too familiar with it).
2- Diabetes
3- Kidney Disease/Failure.
4- On occassion a bladder infection may cause increased thirst/urination. I hope you get to the bottom of whatever is causing your issue.
[notify]

Mockqua

"Mocha"

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 4:29pm PST 
Do you have any idea what sort of tests they do for those things or the general cost? I'm going to call around today if it's not too late, but it's already 4:30, so it might have to wait till tomorrow.

I know they're going to want to test her urine and blood at least. I'm going to have approximately $300 this month for all the tests and whatnot. Mum might be able to lend me some money on the first of next month, but that's way too far away to wait.

I really should have gotten pet insurance :/
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 5:09pm PST 
Mockqua, I really think you should see the vet. Excessive thirst and peeing can be a number of things, which only your vet would really know. Let them know you are tight on money and can they please start with the most obvious tests first instead of all at once (maybe you will know with the first test and not have to pay too much).

When you are calling around for prices, be sure to ask if they accept payments rather than everything due at time of service.

Good luck, I hope you get better soon! hug
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:51pm PST 
Well we just ran a Feline ADR Check (which checks for everything I listed plus pancreatitis) with the specific pancreatic test on a patient and it was around $150 I believe, but each veterinary hospital is different depending on your location, the tests ordered etc.
[notify]

Jasper,- Angel- Dreamboat- #49a

Can I get you a- drink?

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 9:46pm PST 
Be upfront with the vet. Tell them you don't have all the money in the world, but you want to do the best for your kitty. They will check out the most likely problems first. Only if those are ruled out will they suggest tests for other ailments.
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 11:33pm PST 
I would talk to your vet and see if they will work out some kind of payment agreement with you. Some vets will do that - especially if you are a good, long term client. Otherwise I've used Care Credit in the past. Basically Care Credit is a credit card, but provided you make your payments as scheduled it's an interest-free extended payment plan. You have to be really careful to make the payments on time as agreed and pay the balance off within the promotional time frame (which varies depending on the amount of the bill) or you can get hit with finance charges and penalties. You can google Care Credit and find out more on their website if interested. If you are interested in Care Credit, you can apply online, get approved immediately and get a print out to take to the vet for your bill. You can also apply directly at some vet offices. I applied at the Animal Emergency Clinic when one of my cats developed a urinary blockage. I'm glad I have it.

The other posters are right, she needs to see a vet as soon as possible and diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroid, and urinary infections are high on the list of what could be wrong.
[notify]

Mockqua

"Mocha"

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 11:57pm PST 
I think it's next week that I get money. It was too late to call around today. We don't have a long term vet right now. We've been trying to find one since we moved here, but they've all sucked for one reason or another. The last one we used was pretty good, though. So I think I'm going to take her there.

I completely forgot about carecredit. Thank you for reminding me about it. I'll apply tonight and see if the vet takes it tomorrow. I think they do. I remember seeing something about it last time we were there.

edit/ I can't apply online since I'm in Canada, not America. I'll see if I can apply at the vet tomorrow.

Edited by author Thu Mar 18, '10 12:07am PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Mar 18, '10 10:58pm PST 
Hi Mockqua you are my neighbour smile
In the meantime the best thing that you can do is to put your cat on a all wet high protein diet, this will help with any urinary problems, and diabetes.
There is a great store up there by you that sells good food, they sell raw too ( I havent been there yet) but its on the right hand side of old highway heading north just before JYSK , I believe. Anyhow some good foods to feed are Wellness grain free, Evo cat and kitten, or Evo 95%, Wellness Core, Felidae grain freem and Natures Variety.
Let us know how it goes ok smile
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:45pm PST 
Natasha had been drinking more than usual... It turned out to be UTI. The pills are seventeen dollars. The test did cost a bit but it is worth it to catch it early. If you wait, it can be worse for the cat. Natasha is feeling better. Last night, she let out a meow that I have never heard from her. She is definitely better. She is more relaxed.
Please don't wait on this one. Whatever it is, it is better to find out as soon as possible......Let us know how it goes....Bamcat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2