GO!

Famished!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ariel

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 8:23am PST 
I switched the girls to grain free canned a few months ago. Because they were both overweight I had to analyze the calories carefully to calculate the right amount. I then dropped it a bit and they've both lost some weight.

Sara has dropped from 9.5 lbs to 8 which is a good weight for her. Ariel has dropped from 10.5lbs to 9.5. I'd like to see her come down more especially since she has arthritis in her hips.

The thing is that she hasn't dropped any weight in a about 6 wks and she is always prowling for food. I've had to hid the dog's treat ball with his kibble because she goes after it and she's waking me up at 4am every morning looking for food. We can't go on like this.

Do I up the volume, even if it means she gains back some weight? They're currently getting about 3.5 to 4 oz. of Wellness grain-free canned a day. Sara's usually hungry too, but it's not quite as bad. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

ETA. When I moved to grain free, I upped their feedings to 3 times a day, adding a 3rd feeding just before bedtime to try and get us through the night. Originally it was g-f kibble which seemed to work, but when I replaced that with canned it no longer holds them through the night.

Edited by author Sun Mar 7, '10 8:29am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 9:36am PST 
Do you know what their ideal weight *should* be? There's a formula that I hope someone more knowledgeable will supply to figure out their serving size/calorie count based on their weight. 9.5 and 8 pounds doesn't sound like that much unless they're very small boned. When you look down at them from above, can you see their waists?

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. My brother Teddy is always begging for food too, but he doesn't wake us up to do it so mom tries to ignore him. Have you asked your vet if they are the right weight yet? I wish we had a better suggestion!
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 9:43am PST 
Hmm, I recently bumped Sprinkles portions up to 5 oz of canned a day and she no longer cries. Before on 3 oz a day she'd be trying to open the door when I was in the bathroom so she could sit in front of me and meow nonstop.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 10:17am PST 
It all depends on what kind of canned food you are feeding, how many calories are in it?
They should be getting around 210 calories a day
I think that 3 oz is not enough though, I'd go for more like 5-6 oz.
[notify]

Ariel

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 3:50pm PST 
I'd estimate their ideal weights to be between 7 and 8 lbs. Yes, they are small cats. A year or so ago when there were both in the 8's the vet said they were a little heavy, but not enough to worry about. Ariel was just there a few weeks ago and we discussed her weight so she really does still need to drop a lb or so.

They're eatting Wellness grain-free. Given that Ariel's not losing any weight at 4 oz (160 calories), I'd be concerned about upping her all the way to 210. I supposed I could go up to 4.5 (180) and see what happens.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 9:49pm PST 
Ariel how long have they been on this diet? As it does take along time to loose weight and it should be done slowly, so not to cause Hepatic Lipidosis.
8lbs is not too fat for a cat I dont think so aiming for say 180 calories a day then with a few treats thrown inshh
[notify]

Sassy- (2001-2012)

Gorgeous- Armageddon

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 10:33pm PST 
I've never tried this but I've heard that you can bulk up cats food with canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin not the pie mix) or any pureed cooked vegetables. This adds some fibre and helps fill them up and slows down digestion but doesn't add calories. You have to start with really small amounts to avoid causing diarrhea from the extra fibre.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Tue Mar 9, '10 8:48am PST 
It's been my experience that unless your cats are free fed, they will scream at you at random intervals to be fed. It just goes with the territory. wink
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Mar 9, '10 4:42pm PST 
Free feeding is how you end up with overweight cats to begin with. That's not a good idea for a kitty on a diet.
[notify]

Ariel

Purred: Tue Mar 9, '10 8:22pm PST 
I'm used to a certain amount of pestering for food, but waking me up in the middle of the night or stealing food from dog while he's trying to eat it is new. I've upped her to 4.5 oz and it seems to have helped some. I"m trying to increase her activity level some with a lazer pointer to counter balance it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2