GO!

Best cat for my adult son?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Spot (in- memory of)

Leave me sleep!

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 4:49pm PST 
My son ,who has a slight developmental delay, has just moved into his own apartment around the corner from me. He is a bit lonely and I think a pet would be good for him. I think a cat would be the easiest to care for and I could help him with the bigger things ( vet care, litter box changing ect. ) He has said that he would like a calm adult cat that would follow him around. Is there a breed that would do that? Of course this would only happen with the landlord's permission. Any thoughts are greatly apprecitated.
[notify]

Airel

The Party Girl

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 6:53pm PST 
In my live I have had several cats all of which have been strays that ended up being barn cats . The ones that were in our house always tended to always follow us around . At this time I have 4 cats and always have someone following me around in the house when they want to . Your best bet is to take your son to a shelter and have him look around and see which ones will be friendly to him .
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 9:01pm PST 
You don't need a spacific breed, although I'd think a shorthaired cat would be best; I recommend taking your son to the shelters in your area that have a cat room where he can sit for a while--usually you can tell who is the lovebug, who is slightly crabby, etc. You may want to visit first by yourself if you think your son might feel too bad for the unselected cats to make a good selection. If the kitty seems laid back, but isn't ignoring people, and doesn't visit for just a minute then walk off, that's a potentially good match. Handle the cat a good bit to make sure it doesn't get panicky, angry or impatient too fast. Don't go by looks, let the purrsonality be the deciding factor. A four or five year old cat has many good years before it will be showing lots of signs of aging, but it will be fairly stable personality wise. Call around and explain what you want, and why, and there is usually someone who knows who the sweetest kitties are, that always use the box, and so forth. Good luck!

Edited by author Fri Mar 5, '10 9:04pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Mar 6, '10 4:19am PST 
I would make sure you do have the landlords permission first, and depending on what the lease says, get it in writing, and explain to the landlord, you will be helping your son with this, and take responsibility if needed. big grin

Another place you can try is Petsmart. There is a description of each cat on the card, and if they are good with kids, dogs, other pets, etc, so you have a genl idea of the cats personality, per say. Just as with the shelter kitties, these cats have been s/n and their shots. Most of these cats have foster parents, who would have very good knowledge, if that cat would match with your son and what he is looking for in a cat.

I would also already have a vet lined up, if you don't already, explain to the vet about your son and what your looking for as far as help. When he chooses that special kitty, take that kitty and your son in, so he can meet the vet, and be
comfortable with him/her, and ask the vet to explain to your son, about care, health issues, what to look for if the cat should need a vet, and vaccines.

Bless you for helping your son, and giving a cat a good home.

way to gobig grinway to gobig grinway to gobig grinway to gobig grin
[notify]

Spot (in- memory of)

Leave me sleep!

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 3:47am PST 
Thanks for all the great advice everybody!big grin I like the idea of going to the shelter with him and letting the cat pick him. I will keep you posted when the time comes.smile
[notify]

Sassy- (2001-2012)

Gorgeous- Armageddon

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 10:53pm PST 
Good luck finding a cat at your local shelter, I bet you'll be able to find a nice laid back cat to keep your son company. One other thing to check is whether you can get the cat classified as a therapy pet given your son's situation. Landlords have to allow service/therapy pets even if they don't allow regular pets.
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 5:37am PST 
We agree with the other posters......going to a shelter and visiting with the cats, petting them, observing how they act is the best way to determine who would be a good fit for your son.

And yes, YAY saving a shelter cat!!! Do keep us posted on your son's new pet.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Namerovsky

From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 11:48am PST 
Do post the story, we love the adoption stories.

I definitely agree with "Let the cat pick you." The cat that picked me was nothing like what I had in mind...but he's perfect! They know just as well as we do.
[notify]

Spot (in- memory of)

Leave me sleep!

Purred: Sun Apr 18, '10 10:26am PST 
Just thought I would update on this. My daughter's friend just asked us if someone could take temporary custody of her and her boyfriend's cat until they move in July. I think it might be an ideal solution. It would give my son a chance to see if he is capable and really wants a cat. There is a catch though.... it disappeared for 4 days and then came back. My suspision is that it is now pregnant. frown
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Apr 19, '10 5:21am PST 
It might sound ugly, but maybe fostering another cat would be a better idea; you don't want your son overwhelmed with a bunch of kittens. But do ask your friend first--are you sure the cat isn't spayed? If it's not, a female coming into heat might not be what your son needs anyway.
[notify]