GO!

tortoiseshell or calico?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shiloh

My pitbull is my- co-pilot

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 3:04pm PST 
what's the difference? I searched google images, but didn't really find anything-they both looked the same.

Is Shiloh one or the other, or neither?
[notify]

Princess- Inky

PrintUm Dano

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 4:46pm PST 
You're a calico - I'm a tortie.

You sure are cute.

xoxoxo

Shiloh

My pitbull is my- co-pilot

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 5:14pm PST 
ahh, thanks!
[notify]

Isis-Tortie- Angel

Dilute Tortie- with Attitude

Purred: Wed Jan 13, '10 8:08pm PST 
Hi Shiloh! You are cute! wave

I'm a tortie! Torties and calicos rock! way to go

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 8:39am PST 
Yep, you are a calicobig grin, and very cute too

I am considered tortie with whiteapplause
[notify]

QUINCY

I've never met a- kitten I didn't- like

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:01am PST 
In general, calicos are orange, black and white, and torties are just orange and black. There is a coloration called tortie/white too. Hard to describe, but the tortie coloring is separate from the white, not all mixed up and spotted like a calico. We get alot of calicos and torties in our rescue, and some we don't know whether to call them calico or tortie/wht.
There are also dilute or muted calicos and torties where instead of black they have gray, and instead of orange they have a pale orange (we call it buff).

You are a cutie though and definately a calico.wave
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 12:06pm PST 
I'm a Tortie wiff White,

Shiloh, yur a furry bootiful Calico kitten.cheer

We lubbs all Calico's & Torties cheer

Your all soo bootiful effury furr Kats heyah!

Edited by author Thu Jan 14, '10 12:10pm PST

[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 5:41pm PST 
the main differnce between a calico and a torti is the amount and placement of white. Calicos tend to have more white patches, and there orange and tabby patches are generally large patches of one color next to eaither white or the other color.

torties have little white, usually none. also there fur tends to be more "blended" or mixed together rather then patchy. If a cat is blended with black and orange tabby, with white feet or chest, it is called a tortie and white.

Torties also come in "torbie" or tortishell tabby. this is a a tabby cat ( can be brown, grey or any dilute of those) with the orange tabby stripes mixed in.

Both calicos and torties are "parti-color cats" meaning they have both the black and orange color gene expressing itself in the cats fur. all other color of cali and torie (greys, tan, ect) are the black and orange gene in its "dilute" form.

i have many parti-color cats on my page! smile

Tiny and pumpkin are torties
Angel and pixie are torbies
sweet pea is a dilute calico
my beloved cookie was a calico, in a pattern called "van" which is a calico pattern where the cat is mostly white except the head and tail.

check them out and you will see the differnce

Edited by author Thu Jan 14, '10 5:43pm PST

[notify]

Strangelove- (1988-2006)

Queen of the- cats!

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:42pm PST 
Miss Tiny Burr Burr is right. I had classic calico colouring with big patches of white, orange/ginger and black.
[notify]

Freckles- (1993-2011)

My beautiful old- lady!

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 9:43pm PST 
and I'm a classic tortie with black and orange bits all mixed together in speckles
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3