GO!

best age to neuter

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Oliver

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 11:30am PST 
What is the best age to neuter. Both Mickey and Spike were done at 6 mnths old. Our vet said they could do ollie at 4-5 mnths. Is it safe to neuter him that young or should we wait for him to be 6 mnths old?
[notify]

Pascal(livin- g with- Daddy)

Being mellow is- highly- underrated.

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 3:29pm PST 
Yes it is safe.
With a lot of my rescues I do it younger only to make sure wherever they go they will be neutered. I am not a big fan of fixing when they are teeny tiny but the shelters do it for the same reasons.
I waited until 6 months to do Luciano, Renzo and Antonia because I knew they were staying with me.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 3:35pm PST 
My vet will only do them 5-6 months old. She feels any earlier, one is taking the chance of complications, as it is still surgery, and they are still under anastesia. Granted a neuter is less intrusive than a spay, but its still a shock to their system and weakens their immune system.

My kittens got done at 5 1/2 months old. She wanted a full 2 weeks since their last show, to make sure they did not bring something home from a show, and thus, weakened their immune system, and a full 2 weeks, before their next show, so their not going into a show, not feeling their best, to make sure there is no infection, and their systems are not run down. It was a full week, before they were back to their normal run thru the house at warp speed like crazy boys, mol.

I do understand, why rescue organizations do it earlier, and not going to get into that discussion.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin: Dbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Pascal(livin- g with- Daddy)

Being mellow is- highly- underrated.

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 4:19pm PST 
I so agree Bumpurrr.
My vet does not like to do it under 5 1/2 months. I won't do it under 4 1/2 and even then I am not so thrilled.

It IS surgery and it should be taken seriously.
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 7:14pm PST 
Thank you for the advice! I think we will just wait until ollie is 6 mnths old. He is the only kitty in the house who is not fixed and he doesnt go outside so it shouldn't be an issue.
[notify]

Maya

She Who Soars

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 11:57pm PST 
Just so you know, a lot of vets now are encouraging early-age spay/neuter. As long as the animal is at least 6-8wks and at least two pounds. They've done studies showing that kittens who were altered as early as 7 weeks had no more ill side effects than kittens who waited until they were 5-6mos, in fact the earlier they were altered the more quickly they recovered!

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/early-spay-ne uter.html

If you do decide to alter early, just make sure you do it with a vet who is experienced and comfortable with early age alteration.

In any case, a female should be altered before her first heat cycle, as it really cuts down on her chances to have mammary cancer; and a male should be altered before he starts spraying as it's a nasty habit to break.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 6:04am PST 
Forgot to add, my go home instructions said, even tho they are neutered, they can still impregnate a female for I think it was 2-3 weeks. It was something to that effect. Their records are packed in their show box, but can pull them out, if someone needs the exact wording. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 7:55am PST 
I don't think i will neuter him too young, i don't want anything to go wrong! I'm going to talk to the vet about it on tuesday when ollie goes in for his shots and check up. And no girl kitties around here! Idon't think he will start spraying before 6 mnths old, Spike and Mickey didn't so hopefully Ollie doesn't either!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 10:54am PST 
oliver,

i rescue cats and have had many cats spayed/neuerd, of all ages. not one had a complications.

cats can be safely netuerd at 2 pounds. Working at a vet clinc for a year i saw one pet die from being put under, and she was a 13 year old rottiwiler getting a leg taken off. She had an underlying heart condition.

I like to get them done at about 4-5 month, or when there adult teeth come in. some cats can sexually mature anywhere between 4-8 months, i dont want to risk anything.

its up to you. personally, i have had no issues with early spay/neuter.
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Sun Nov 29, '09 4:31pm PST 
thank you. I will definantly consider it. Cause our vet will do it at 4 mnts...so i may do it then. I've never done one that young before and just want to make sure he wont have any issues...we have an app. on tuesday with Ollie..and i'll discuss it with the vet. They are awesome and I trust them so i'll take all the good info i learned from here and get what info i can from the vet and then make a decision.

Edited by author Sun Nov 29, '09 4:32pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3