GO!

Stop me before I adopt again...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Lurch

I know I can, I- know I can!

Purred: Fri Nov 20, '09 12:19pm PST 
My vet played a cruel trick on me last night. smile While I was there for my dog, he casually "happened to" bring out this kitten - six months old, only 3.5 pounds (but healthy), beautiful, personable, and a purr machine. To top it off, she has the same condition as Lurch - she's a wobbly kitty. I love wobbly kitties, and my vet knows it.

Her owner had brought her in last week to be put down because there was "something wrong" with her. The vet decided to check her out instead. Now he'll be looking for a home for her, and has targeted the only wobbler owner he knows - me.

I'm so torn. I have five cats already. I've justified it by saying you're not a crazy cat lady while you can still count your cats on one hand, but this would cross the line. But Lurch would so love a pet. What to do???

I'm posting here because y'all are my friends. So let's see, how to make it a raw-related post: oh yeah, she'd definitely start immediately on raw. And here's a question, if you were fostering a cat with the intent of placing her elsewhere, would you feed raw?

Aww, can you imagine the two wobblers sharing their feeding towel, eating mice next to each other?

Please discourage this line of thinking. wink

Did I mention she's a purr machine?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Nov 20, '09 1:56pm PST 
Hiya Lurch! All I can say is if you have the room, the money, and the love, well... Also, if you think that your present "bosses" won't mind? Are you supposed to foster or keep furever?

I've got to admit lately that I've been wondering about getting a third feline member for our family, but I'm really scared of upsetting the great balance that we have now. There are so many poor cats out there that would love a real home. I was thinking perhaps of an older female? I actually spent an hour at lunch time searching Petfinder... (very bad)

Oh, to make this raw-ish, I wonder if one shouldn't mention to adoption agencies that one feeds raw? I swear that I heard or read somewhere that an agency denied adoption applications if you mentioned raw feeding.

Best of luck with your decision!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Nov 20, '09 2:04pm PST 
Awwww Lurch! You need a playmate who's like you, don't you? We always wanted to foster a wobbly kitty. Let's face it, this may be a hard adoption unless it's someone like us who *wants* special needs kitties. And hey, don't some people have six fingers? You HAVE to take her! silenced
[notify]

Lurch

Purred: Fri Nov 20, '09 9:06pm PST 
BK, you are so not helping. Are you near Chicago by any chance? If so, I've got the purrfect 3.5 lb kitten for you! big grin

No, the older ones wouldn't be at all happy. My main dilemma is that each cat needs to get enough individual attention, and that can be a challenge as it is.

My friends say I'm nuts. My yahoo CH group says what's one more??? Fostering would be a good solution, except that Spooky, Shelley, Rumble and my late Weeble were all fosters until they adopted me!

Oh, the pain of decision-making...

Did I mention she'd eat raw? big grin
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Nov 21, '09 3:57am PST 
So sorry, we're far away from Chicago! laugh out loud

I know, it's a tough decision. Why don't you tell the vet that if they can't find anyone in a certain amount of time you'll foster her? You'll be her fall back plan. And raw would probably be SO good for her!
[notify]

Lexus

Purred: Sat Nov 21, '09 5:01am PST 
This would be the perfect ending to a would be tragic story hamster dance

This person was going to PTS a perfectly healthy KITTEN because it didn't look like a normal kitten....how sick is that? Could you imagine a human adopting a baby and b/c it didn't look like all the other kids (or didn't fit into their lifestyle) they took it to the doctors and PTS the baby? It would NEVER happen. Why is it okay to do this to an animal? My heart is sickened. Thanks for the vet who looked past the money and has morals applauseapplause

You could foster the kitten to see how she fits in with your other kitties way to go And if she fits in then you can adopt her???

About the raw feeding thinking hmmmm......good question....I haven't fostered before and when I have thought about fostering the same thing came to my mind. I definately would feed a grain free higher quality canned food instead of the junk the shelters give you to feed (no dry food). And I would supplement with some raw food.

Good luck kittykittykitty

Let us know what you name her laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud ( I like "MACY")

Edited by author Sat Nov 21, '09 5:02am PST

[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Nov 21, '09 7:33am PST 
Lexus is officially worse than us! laugh out loud

With regard to the raw diet and fosters - I don't feed fosters completely raw. Most of them love it (especially kittens) but I worry that when they go to their forever homes the new owners won't be feeding raw and what if I've spoiled them and they won't eat canned or dry anymore? I hate to say it, but a lot of times I feed Friskies or Fancy Feast to fosters. It's economical, they love it and odds are that's what they'll be getting in their new homes. I draw the line at dry though - no dry here unless I have a cat that won't eat at all unless it's dry.
[notify]

Alaska

I ordered snow,- where is it?!?!?

Purred: Sat Nov 21, '09 10:47pm PST 
I have three "fosters" who may sometime be adopted. Some person moved and didn't take their cats with them, in fact they just threw them outsidenaughty I feed them all raw. I can't afford the high quality grain free canned and no way would I give them kibble so they get raw and have for the last few months smile

Right now I really think I might keep the two b&w's and not the black one (i have NOTHING against black cats but she hates it here, she needs to be an only cat. Just doesn't especially appreciate any other cat getting in the way of the attention she demands).
[notify]

Celeste(2009- -2012)

Purred: Sat Nov 21, '09 11:16pm PST 
RE feeding raw to a foster. It depends, if it is only you who is adopting out the kitty_I mean you are not fostering for a shelter/rescue_it is up to you to decide. If you are fostering for a shelter you can't feed raw for the same reason that you can't let the foster go outside_or should_ because of infection issues.
I feed my cats a mix of raw, canned and dry but fosters get canned and dry.
I know a lady that fostered for a shelter, she fed raw and let the kits out, 12 fosters got infections and had to be pts, needlesly to say the shelter wouldn't let her foster for them anymore.
There is a good reason why shelters feed dry, if they fed great food they couldn't afford to care for all the animals they take, specially no-kills. The furries can live on dry and when they go to their forever home owner can swicht them to whatever diet she can afford. Sometimes it is difficult but not always.
[notify]

Lurch

Purred: Sun Nov 22, '09 7:17pm PST 
Celeste, you are absolutely precious. That word can sound really sappy, but I don't mean it that way - there's just no better word for how cute you are!

Good point about the cost of fostering. The shelter sent Lurch home with Science Diet, which was already better than the stuff that's fed at a lot of places. They feed what they can get. I called a shelter after switching my dog's food once and asked if they'd take most of a 40-lb bag that was about a month old. They didn't hesitate. I don't blame them.

As to the cost of feeding her non-raw, I didn't even think it through. Of course I couldn't feed dry, not after what I've learned here. And my secondary motivation (after health) of converting Spooky and Shelley away from their beloved junk food is cost. I simply cannot afford to feed canned food over time!

Lexus, talking about naming her was DEFINITELY not helpful! laugh out loud (Like I hadn't gone that direction already!) Her current name is Chance, which I like, but I'm mean enough to want to give a wobbly kitty a wobbly name. Or at least something ironic for a tiny kitten - what's the female equivalent of Thor?

I'm angry to see yet another wobbly cat sacrificed, but I don't really blame her owner. All the owner and the vet can see is that there is a neurological problem. There's no blood test or anything to diagnose it or see what treatment she would need or what quality of life she would have. The fact that I've seen CH before and introduced my vet to it, and have learned that they are in fact perfectly healthy cats, is only because I was blessed by Weeble's dropping into my lap. I said the same thing - I'll take her to the vet. If she's in pain and can't be treated, I'll have her put down, otherwise I'll foster her. Fortunately for us, that vet had a CH cat of her own and was able to educate me!

Again, my only real concern is if I would have the time to spend proper cuddling and attention on six cats and a dog. The others would adjust, as they did to each other and to Lurch. But if you take on a life, you're responsible for the quality of that life, which means more than just shelter, food and medical care. I sometimes think the only reason mine get enough attention is that several of them go outside and get their own entertainment. I certainly have enough love for her, but can I devote the time without taking it from someone else? Selfishly, I could take in every kitten that came my way, but it's not just about that.

Well, that and the male relationship factor. But having five cats is as much an off-putter to a potential mate as six would be. Maybe I should only admit to four if I ever get a date again... thinking laugh out loud

Lurch just snacked on some pork heart and wants lap time. I love my family... cloud 9
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4